Tipper franchise?

Muckaway:
Cemex have employed drivers as they can’t get enough subbies on the mixers and tippers.

Yes Cemex (or RMC as it was) kept their own fleet in this area, I used to do a few loads for them when our quarry was slack.

When the companies, Tarmac, Tilcon, RMC, ARC etc ran their own trucks the rates were pretty good for the hired haulage lads as the quarries didn’t like running their trucks for poor rates, however once they were sold off then they could do with the rates as they wished! After we were ‘sold off’ we used to run from Ashbourne down to Tilcons Gore quarry near Kington (a 3 1/2 hour trip, Dave the Renegade will back me on this) to take scalpings across to the M5 widening scheme between Strensham and Worcester because the rate was that bad the local lads wouldn’t do it! We would come in and they would be sitting in the weighbridge, we would load and go and when we came back they hadn’t moved. Hundreds of tons a day didn’t get delivered. Now if Tilcon had still been running their own trucks the material would have gone plus the o/d’s would have been getting a decent (though possibly cut slightly) rate for doing the job. No winners in the end!

Pete.

windrush:

Muckaway:
Cemex have employed drivers as they can’t get enough subbies on the mixers and tippers.

Yes Cemex (or RMC as it was) kept their own fleet in this area, I used to do a few loads for them when our quarry was slack.

When the companies, Tarmac, Tilcon, RMC, ARC etc ran their own trucks the rates were pretty good for the hired haulage lads as the quarries didn’t like running their trucks for poor rates, however once they were sold off then they could do with the rates as they wished! After we were ‘sold off’ we used to run from Ashbourne down to Tilcons Gore quarry near Kington (a 3 1/2 hour trip, Dave the Renegade will back me on this) to take scalpings across to the M5 widening scheme between Strensham and Worcester because the rate was that bad the local lads wouldn’t do it! We would come in and they would be sitting in the weighbridge, we would load and go and when we came back they hadn’t moved. Hundreds of tons a day didn’t get delivered. Now if Tilcon had still been running their own trucks the material would have gone plus the o/d’s would have been getting a decent (though possibly cut slightly) rate for doing the job. No winners in the end!

Pete.

Yes you are absolutely right with your facts about the M5 job Pete.There has been twenty lorries packed in from these quarries near Kington in the last twelve months.I would think more will go in the near future.
Cheers Dave.

windrush:

Muckaway:

Pete.

someone must have won in the end or the M5 would never have been widened :smiley:

A couple of weeks ago we had a subbie on for us who runs 2 Hanson franchised 8wheelers and was given permission to find work wherever he could for 2 days. One ran for a day on premix where the 20-5mm stone is sourced out of Hansons’ Oxford Siding near Kidlington. It caused a bit of upset for other Hanson subbies who were parked up in there waiting for work when one of their own was coming in getting all the work.

Hanson ran 4 Hinos in our quarry up until about 2009 when the recession bit,they were a joke. They must have ran them for about 2 years then they just finished the drivers and I believe they went into storage up in Yorkshire. Now towards the end they had priority loading first thing every day and they still couldnt of paid. They probably paid a lot less for them than an OD would too.