Tipper franchises

i am trying to get some info reguarding tipper franchises i have looked on hansons website and bretts and few more of the big aggregate and tarmac suppliers has anyone on here done franchise work before what are the pros and cons . what do you have to lay out to start up etc
also what sort of rates you get and so on :confused:

Chewyboy:
i am trying to get some info reguarding tipper franchises i have looked on hansons website and bretts and few more of the big aggregate and tarmac suppliers has anyone on here done franchise work before what are the pros and cons . what do you have to lay out to start up etc

Hi Chewyboy, I couldnā€™t answer your question with first-hand info, but Iā€™d suggest that you look in the O/Dā€™s forum and do a search for posts containing ā€˜aggregateā€™ and ā€˜Hanson.ā€™

Youā€™ll turn up quite a few posts. :wink:

I hope that helps until some of the guys with first-hand info answer your post. :smiley:

Chewyboy:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Iā€™ve always been curious about how these Hansen-type arrangements work, anyone care to explain? Why do they not just operate a fleet of tippers with employed drivers? What is the advantage to them? Do the drivers earn more than a tipper driver on PAYE? etc etc etc

Harry Monk:
Iā€™ve always been curious about how these Hansen-type arrangements work, anyone care to explain? Why do they not just operate a fleet of tippers with employed drivers? What is the advantage to them? Do the drivers earn more than a tipper driver on PAYE? etc etc etc

maybe because there is no money in it, just a guess.

Iā€™m sure you are right but then I imagine a quarrying company would look to make its money from selling aggregate and would not expect to make a profit from transport, much as the supermarkets do. It has always seemed to be a curious arrangement to me, I suppose it simplifies operations for them but I would still like to get the gen from an OD on this type of work.

As the transport manager said to the O/D ā€œwe employ owner drivers tro break the lawā€

It was priceless to know the T/M didnā€™t know it was being recorded :grimacing: and even more priceless when he did :laughing: , I suppose blackmail works both ways :laughing:

From an ex O/D :sunglasses:

Be very careful getting involved one of those tipper ā€œcontractsā€ from what iā€™ve read in the owner driver forum. Bounce over there and do a search.

Having been an owner operator for many years having had artic tippers and block crane artic on for quarries but not on contract hire in there livery, I can tell you that you will make a living only but no profit to replace your truck. The reason they use o/dā€™s is they only pay the very minimum for transport. If you damage your truck that tuff you pay for it. If theres no work or theres not a full days work, tuff. They will always make sure there own trucks work to the maximum first and then sub out the crap. An owner driver will set the targets for there own drivers :ie if o/dā€™s can do it so should you be able to do the same.
To be a good o/d you need to drive like an F1 driver to make money and run to and throw the weighbridge and the tailgate. Fuel and tyres will be your biggest expense. Forget it you will earn more stacking shelves in Tescoā€™s.
P.S. If you are contracted to them you will not be able to back load from other quarries etc.

As a Hansons franchisee you are paid per mile both ways if you are on planner, usually in Hansons favour.

Some days you might make a few more kms than you have done but not often.

You are also paid for the load and waiting time after 30 mins waiting (premix and asphalt tipping sites) as long as you havenā€™t arriver too early at the tip.

The 8 wheeler I drive earned about 90k gross last year doing 91,000kms and about 1100 jobs, after fuel, tyres and other costs plus my wages, my employer wonā€™t have made a massive amount.

They do have a few trucks franchised so must make it pay somehow.

I am employed and from what the O/Ds say they donā€™t earn a great deal more than me and they have all the hassel of repairs serviceing etc.

thanks for the replies checked the other forum but cant find anything got a number for hanson general operations south off google so gonna them a call tomorrow

my boss has 7 eight wheelers franchised to hansons and a mixer he seems ok with it but i guess thats because he has seven and they do work night and day sometimes(the truck not the driver) as previously said they work on a planner and they can dictate a bad week or a good week but they will always make sure you earn enough to cover the cost of the truck which you might have got thru them.i used to drive a artic on there for my boss but work dried up for artics and i am now on the farming side with the odd quarry job thrown in i subbie for a northampton firm.if you need help get in touch im sure my boss would advise you

There was a guy on here a year or two back got badly stung by Hanson on the franchise scheme. Bought a brand new Hino with a tarmac body. I think he only got about 1 weeks work with it over several weeks and ended up bailing out.

Tipperdriver01 was his user name. Try searching for his posts

Semtex:
There was a guy on here a year or two back got badly stung by Hanson on the franchise scheme. Bought a brand new Hino with a tarmac body. I think he only got about 1 weeks work with it over several weeks and ended up bailing out.

Tipperdriver01 was his user name. Try searching for his posts

that doesnt suprise me semtex for the single owner driver it looked a hard way to earn a living i think the good money was earned years ago before hansons took over and now its all owned by heidelberg i have noticed they are repainting all castle cement tankers in hansons colours

Chewyboy:
thanks for the replies checked the other forum but cant find anything got a number for hanson general operations south off google so gonna them a call tomorrow

Unless you really want to work yourself into the ground with stress stay WELL away from ANY O/D franchise scheme from a quarry operator.

There are plenty of posts from a year ago on the O/D forum about tippers being stood with no work UK wide. :cry:
Look in CM and see the price of used 8 wheeler tippers/mixers,what does that tell you :question:
The quarries will push you to ā€œRENTā€, sorry I mean own :unamused: a new one at Ā£90k+ :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth:

I used to be on with Brettsā€¦

Cant be ponced with the pre mod stuff on here, plus lack of PMā€™s, you can find me on other sites under Coddy or Tipper, get in touch via them and will give you all the info you needā€¦

The reason drivers were stood down was because of the recession, and lack of building, sod all elseā€¦

Ex OD 75k per year, OK.

I nearly got involved with it once years ago, a few of my mates did and all came out of it with nothing. I think if there was any money in it they would be running there own transport, not giving anyone else the chance to make any money.

hanson:
my boss has 7 eight wheelers franchised to hansons and a mixer he seems ok with it but i guess thats because he has seven and they do work night and day sometimes(the truck not the driver) as previously said they work on a planner and they can dictate a bad week or a good week but they will always make sure you earn enough to cover the cost of the truck which you might have got thru them.i used to drive a artic on there for my boss but work dried up for artics and i am now on the farming side with the odd quarry job thrown in i subbie for a northampton firm.if you need help get in touch im sure my boss would advise you

thanks i would be interested to here from him cheers

Re the above two posts, I have never understood why anyone would go down the franchise route, apart from the vanity of thinking you own a truck when in reality you have just hocked your house to take one on on financeā€¦

Harry Monk:
Re the above two posts, I have never understood why anyone would go down the franchise route, apart from the vanity of thinking you own a truck when in reality you have just hocked your house to take one on on financeā€¦

So how come then I have been there, made a lot of money out of it, and sold the truck just before the recession started, because I had the vision to see what was coming, rather than risk starting to lose cashā€¦

As I said to the OP, get in touch and will talk you through the system.