Thoughts on this

It looks like the typical multi drop lorry that goes out with a different driver every day, I would have to have a massive change of character to go out to work in a lorry like that, not from a legal perspective, but because I’ve always driven an allocated lorry and apart from a brief spell in the late 90s, early 00s, I’ve had my own lorry/lorries since 1994 and they’ve always been well looked after.

Over the years I’ve helped mates out and took a lorry out for them and hated every minute of it, even though they were all in decent shape and clean enough inside, it just never felt right, like sleeping in someone’s bed. I honestly don’t know how you agency or big fleet drivers handle a different lorry every shift.

What are my thoughts ?

You haven’t said how old the truck is, if it’s less than 18 months old and in that state ( not that 18 months is a cut off point just an example of age ) then it’s a shame the company hasn’t taken steps to ensure it’s been kept in better condition and in the first few months they probably did, but it’s more than likely had more drivers than times Jordan got her knockers out, but ■■■■ happens and so do accidents along with wear and tear, drivers half arsed attitudes to daily checks and passing the buck to the next driver tied together with being pushed to get the truck out and on the road.
It’s quite possibly done moon miles, especially on the pallet network, and it’s no show truck but a box standard cheap work horse which has passed the dedicated driver days and sits as an agency driver truck, there’s nothing pictured that isn’t cosmetic, and although it’s tatty appearance could provoke a curious DVSA check it’s unlikely they find anything on the vehicle to issue a GV9.
As for the oil, if you put 10 litres in, that engine was dry and has been run like that without being checked and unless there’s a significant leak it hasn’t been checked for a while, which then raises the question to the vehicles maintenance and service record.
I’d be reluctant to take it out especially if they try to reassure the servicing is regular, which would mean it has a leak and not mechanically sound.
But that’s me and not all drivers are the same,

Wonder if the original driver walked off the job or got sacked for causing excess damage?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

About what I’d expect for a DAF thats at least 5 years old going on the headlights and been hammered on pallet network local multidrop for that time.

Good idea taking photos before you set off so there’s no argument about the damage but other than that if its legal crack on.

On agency you always get the worst truck, but you need to go through the agency checklist to ensure its suitable.

• Dashboard like Blackpool illuminations
  • Brakes…who needs brakes!?
  • Curtains only barely attached and never oiled.
  • Back doors bent to hell (req crowbar to shut)
  • Taillift missing internal controller (if working at all)
  • Taillift will drop randomly with 500kg+ loads.
  • All corners dinted and runbars bent
  • PPE missing naturally and no one has spares
  • Smells of ■■■■

If all those apply then you can take it on the road.

Speaking to an ex work mate the other day.

Agency lad was given a 2 day old unit,for the day.
Brought it back totally unblemished.
Trailer wasn’t so lucky though.
Flat packed it on the bridge,near the glass factory at donny.

trevHCS:
On agency you always get the worst truck, but you need to go through the agency checklist to ensure its suitable.

• Dashboard like Blackpool illuminations
  • Brakes…who needs brakes!?
  • Curtains only barely attached and never oiled.
  • Back doors bent to hell (req crowbar to shut)
  • Taillift missing internal controller (if working at all)
  • Taillift will drop randomly with 500kg+ loads.
  • All corners dinted and runbars bent
  • PPE missing naturally and no one has spares
  • Smells of ■■■■

If all those apply then you can take it on the road.

You forgot , door pockets and passengers footwell full of rubbish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trevHCS:
On agency you always get the worst truck

I have driven a v8 scania, 500 volvo, 18 plate daf 510 so on and so forth all on agency.

Driven some right ■■■■■■ sheds as well.

You don’t always get the worst trucks.

Only one I ever refused on agency was a relatively new and clean rigid ‘we booked a class 2 driver not a class 1 but you will get paid class 1 rate’. 12 drops round leeds, pump truck, handball no thanks

Socketset:
Top up an’ crack on.

^
+1
looks like a normal average condition class 2 dungheap on multidrop…nothing to see here?

trevHCS:

True most of the time. 1 month into my class 2 career I was given a Merc with 300 miles on the clock, bed and passenger seat were still covered with nylons. It was a rental vehicle, though. They also gave it to other agency drivers, it was a small company with about 5 trucks, all on hire. Everywhere else with branded trucks you do indeed get the worst :imp:

I remember one of my first shifts I got this flat bed with a sleeper cab; the regular driver called in sick so I had to take over…the cab smelled like, I’m not sure what exactly but half of the day I felt I was going to vomit, windows down all the way. So yeah, regular drivers can be pigs too, especially when they know they’re the only one who uses that truck so no need to keep it presentable etc. Slobs will be slobs

High viz that stinks of BO and ■■■■ mags behind the drivers seat. As others have said at least no one will notice when you hit the trees. I left a FORS gold company that just hid the old beaters in off lying depots and into a new company and brand new truck, now after one week and they are rotating me through the fleet as everyone was just putting nil in the books. You may be surprised some companies like drivers who do proper checks and trust you more.