Respect for your vehicle

Bit of a rant here, so sorry in advance.
I work for a supermarket where we use multiple units throughout the week. I took one last night and found someone had snapped off an armrest and also smashed the radio. I checked and I had this unit 2 weeks ago and it was in perfect order.

Now those of you who own your own wagons it goes without saying that you treat your own with respect, but why do people feel the need to wreck things that aren’t theirs?

I spoke to my TM last night and he said they don’t defect radios and had no spare units for me to move over to do because of some disrespectful idiot I spent my 12hr shift in silence.

Anyone else experience things like this? Now I may be new to this profession but I was always taught to respect things.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

That’s why I’m glad I have a dedicated unit so unless I’m off or rare time it goes on night trunk I’m the only one that drives it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue estate:
That’s why I’m glad I have a dedicated unit so unless I’m off or rare time it goes on night trunk I’m the only one that drives it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Were just starting to experience this, units and trailers, being sent out at night with agency, and our own night men, it’s surprising how many little dings and dents appear, and they know nothing about it, and smoking is the biggest problem, all the nightys smoke, the regular guys don’t, and the night men are adamant it isn’t them smoking in the trucks.

Doubt anyone is vandalizing vehicles on purpose.

I have a set of nice headphones and spotify. Works a lot better than than the radio.

Mere beginners, the “drivers” I work with have wrecking the kit down to an art form.

Their speciality is missing the pin and stoving the cab in, using the side of the seat as a handkerchief and anointing the dash with coffee.

Clueless licence holding car drivers, I wouldn’t employ them to push a brush around the yard.

Welcome to the world of big “logistics”

Although we don’t specify the unit to the driver, we are a small firm and never use agency, so all in all we don’t get things wrecked.

In a big firm, people tend to care less and can blame it on someone else.

mike68:
Mere beginners, the “drivers” I work with have wrecking the kit down to an art form.

Their speciality is missing the pin and stoving the cab in, using the side of the seat as a handkerchief and anointing the dash with coffee.

Clueless licence holding car drivers, I wouldn’t employ them to push a brush around the yard.

Funny you should mention that, the back had a refrigerator shaped dint in the back of it, but that’s been there ages.
As we’re supposed to lift the trailer before coupling we shouldn’t be missing the pin.

stuwozere1:

mike68:

Funny you should mention that, the back had a refrigerator shaped dint in the back of it, but that’s been there ages.
As we’re supposed to lift the trailer before coupling we shouldn’t be missing the pin.

Oh no, you said refrigerator! A certain someones keyword alarm will be going off!

Don’t for one minute think this kind of occurrence is unique to you, I do similar supermarket delivery work to yourself and every shift is the same, you are handed keys to a unit that some scruffy, malodorous halfwit has just vacated and the cab looks and smells like they’ve been performing an unnatural act with a farmyard animal and enjoyed a post coital cigarette or twenty.
We normally operate Volvo FH units that are just over two years old and they look like they have done over a million miles, then there’s the refrigerated trailers, these look like they have either been dragged off a Somali battlefield or come under sustained anti tank fire, every single one has some damage to a greater or lesser extent.
I’ve long since given up reporting it, nobody in the “Big Logistics PLC” gives a toss, unless the damage is so spectacular and obviously recent then I will cover my backside and draw it to their attention
Don’t get me started on empty fridge fuel tanks.

Iam definatly not one of these Fannie’s that take the boots off on the top step nor do I spray silicone shine but I do give out foul mouths full of abuse when people climb on my wheels n mudgaurds / fuel tank to get on the back when there’s a fixed chassis ladder and handles on the body to use .

biggriffin:
Were just starting to experience this, units and trailers, being sent out at night with agency, and our own night men, it’s surprising how many little dings and dents appear, and they know nothing about it, and smoking is the biggest problem, all the nightys smoke, the regular guys don’t, and the night men are adamant it isn’t them smoking in the trucks.

They may well be telling the truth about the smoking stuff - It may be that they don’t actually smoke in the cab. The problem is that they smoke outside the cab, stub it out and then immediately get in the driver’s seat. That awful sickly stench stays with them and is transferred to the steering wheel, upholstery etc. They simply don’t notice it themselves or think that a quick wipe/spray gets rid of it as their hands and clothing reek of stale ■■■■ all the time and they regard it as normal.

Takes all sorts, some take a pride in their work and look after the tool of their trade, others don’t.

mike68:

Some of them are drivers who’ve been doing it decades.

I reckon every single one of our tractor units has a bent or damaged suzie a-frame from missed pic couplings, theres approx 140 tractors and 300 regular drivers.
In the old days everyone blamed the agency but whilst that may still be true in some cases its our own drivers at fault.

Yeah where I work we can use different wagons day to day and some of the younger lads have no respect for the vehicles, the three 16 plate mercs were nearly £100,000 a unit and they’re often left a mess, mostly on the inside with rubbish etc but some have come back dinged and no one knows who dunnit.

switchlogic:
Oh no, you said refrigerator! A certain someones keyword alarm will be going off!

Sorry Luke but the key word is refrigeration, refrigerator may be the same for you but nothing like for those in the know. :wink:

Conor:

mike68:

Some of them are drivers who’ve been doing it decades.[/quote

As a rule they are the dirtiest and most incompetent.

Sad but true.

It always amazes me the number of experts and perfect drivers who frequent this forum.

I honestly don’t know what goes through their minds when individuals decide to damage vehicles inside,i can only assume that some drivers [in the case of the armrest] think that the armrest is in the way where they put their arm so try to bend it which results in breaking it off,or they can’t get the station they want on the radio so think if I can’t listen to it nobody will,they are muppets,the worse part is when you ask who took it out the night before no one knows.

Same deal for me, different unit every day. If there’s any damage it goes on the defect sheet on the “any other information” box.
Every day I have to empty the glove box and overhead locker of newspapers and general litter and detritus. I’m not the sort to leave my boots on the top step but there’s a limit. I just ■■■■ it up and crack on.

sent using smoke signals