The Road to Sarajevo

Cant remember all the names but from left is. Dave Goddard, next two must apologise, but who can forget Morgan Lanham & then New Age, (John Woodford).

Hi rick,great pictures mate,brings back some good memories.

Hi Rick, I have a huntch that there may be an oppertunity to get back on so

me convoy work, I had applied for a job with a company here in Canada up on the Darvic Diamond mine. I never got the job. BUT, I was contacted by a recruting manager from there office in California who was intrested in my past. It seems they may be needing a team for an operation that is in the wind somewhere in the world. ( Look at there web site & latest aquisitions)
Africa, Australia & China. Also I know of a firefighter company looking for people for the oil patch, If your intrested send me an email. saxonhorse@gmail.com.
By the way look on facebook for UNHCR Bosnia. Cheers JJ. Some pictures of the Daf team. The one in the Mud was Vites and Stewy Boockok was convoy leader that day, picture was tken by Morgan Lanham.

Ok, after the kind comments posted on the previous thread…viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41993

I have sorted out a few more pics.

Usually a convoy would consist of 10 trucks with a four wheel drive running about a quarter of a mile ahead to shout out any problems heading our way as we used to run at a fair old speed when we could. We would leave our yard in Metkovic on the Croatian / Bosnian border, then head north east via Mostar, Jablanica, Konjic and Tarcin before heading off road into the mountains then working our way across country coming out at a place called Kislejak. Here we would stop the night before an early start the next day would see us taking the road into Sarajevo. cameras were banned from being taken in,with the trucks being searched by the serbs on the way in, so I had to use a bit of English ingenuity!! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

The convoy heading North East on the Mostar road. Gaps were common, sometimes for security purposes and sometimes due to the fact that some drivers coudnt keep up!! :laughing: :laughing:

This was up in the hills between Jablanica and Konjic.A common sight on the roads, tunnels blown up and collapsed, only way through would be around the outside edge along the cliff!! :open_mouth:

This was one of the few tunnels which we were able to use, here we meet our sister team heading the other way, this time we are empty and they are going in loaded. Look to the left of the tunnel mouth and you can see the old road / pathway around the edge!!

Heading towards the town of Tarcin after leaving Konjic we turned of the hard standing and onto the soft stuff. This knackered old bridge took a pounding and always Seemed ready to collapse. Each truck probably grossed out at around 30 odd tonnes but the bridge took!!

This was the road surface from then on,ice and snow in the winter, dust in the summer and muddy slime the rest of the time.notice the fuel tanks, one at each end, there were two on the other side as well.

Couldnt find any pics yet of where we used to overnight in Kislejak so…straight onto to Sarajevo.

Heading into the city we used to cut up the side of the airport along a narrow lane which used to bring us out at the top end of Sniper Alley
Notice the writing on the side of the house, it says “welcome to Sarajevo” and was used in a film made a few years later.

Sniper Alley,

Sniper Alley

Sniper Alley.

Finally, all going well and with out to much sniper fire etc we get into the city.

Sarajevo as seen from the end of Sniper alley.

Even these containers offered no real protection from the heavy shelling. The shell has come in through the edge of the roof, causing the sides to bubble out from the blast and ripping holes from the inside from the shrapnel :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Lets hope no one was sheltering inside at the time!

A heavily damaged building, still lived in!!

Finally we arrive at our destination, the Velepekara Bakery, in the city. You can see with the sheets finally off,the load, loose sacks of flour, all hand balled on and then hand balled off, not by us though!!
How this place kept going always amazed me.

Be careful where you step!!..this was not posed for, I was in an armoured landrover being driven aby a former Royal Marine when we pulled over to the side of the road at a checkpoint oneday. I opend the passenger door an looked down before I stepped out, this was what I nearly trod on (im PROBABLY not heavy enough to set them off) and he nearly drove over!!! :smiling_imp: :unamused:

Hopefully, we would get tipped in time and get out of the city via the same route before the curfew,head back to kislejak for the night then the next bump our way back to Metkovic, re-load and do it all again!!

Hope you liked them, i will post some more soon as. :wink:

another Good diary bullit…
One thing to say, You got balls son lol

Fascinating Rick, that photo of the container certainly got me thinking :open_mouth: .
Please keep sharing them.
Best regards Steve.

Great pics Bullitt :slight_smile: more please

Some cracking snaps mate, like Joshh said and I’ll echo it, you got balls :exclamation:

Thanks yet again excellent pictures come on any more dig them out
and some one else must have used a camera as well out there,

Great pictures,shame it happened anywhere on the planet,but that part of the world is so beautiful.Keep posting please,Bullit.

Fantastic! :wink:

bullitt:
Hope you liked them

Oh yes I did. I’d guess snow chains were sometimes needed even during the summer (or should those be called mud chains then)? :slight_smile:

some serious photo diary here mate! keep up the good work!

Hi all and thanks for the comments :smiley:

Brit pete, I know that there are at least TWO other members of TN that were out there. One with me on my team, the other at the same time but I cant place him yet!! I wont name them but maybe they might like to post some of theirs sometime!! :wink:

Whiplash…yes mate your right, there were some very beautiful parts of that country and in away we were fortunate to see some places that most tourists etc would never think of seeing. Up in the hills and mountains is quite stunning in some places.

Kybro…yes mate,I do recall trying snow chains on to drag us out of the mud sometimes, particulaly when climbing some of the hillsides and mountain tracks. :laughing: :laughing: …great fun, and very dirty!! :smiley: :smiley:

Joshh…I dont know about having balls so much as the exuburance of youth!!..ohh and dont forget financial greed!!! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Mushroom man…Steve,yes that container, it makes you think doesnt it? I remember seeing groups of people cluster behind these containers when a sniper was active and they were trying to cross a road, it was their only protection. Eventually, one or two at a time they would make a dash for it and the sniper would open up on them. Young or old, male or female, adults or kids, all were considered fair game :cry: :cry:

The place was (zb)ing nuts.

I hope to go back there next year for a few weeks and travel the old routes, see the towns and places where “things happened”.

When I dig out some more I will get them posted.

Cheers all,

Bullitt.

More please

good photos brought back some old memories i was in bosnia when the war was going on :cry:

cmayer315:
good photos brought back some old memories i was in bosnia when the war was going on :cry:

Well if you have any pics mate then post them up!!! Dont worry about the thread running off abit, they always seem to do that!! :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

I was out there from 1992 to 1994, based firstly in Metkovic, between Split and Dubrovnik in Southern Croatia for a year then upto Zagreb :frowning: then finally based in central Bosnia in a town called Zenica.

If you were based at Gorni Vakuf or Vitez then you should remember seeing us. We overnighted at these locations quite a few times, some good lads were based there!! :wink:

Regards, bullitt.

Brilliant post Bullit, I’ve got a mate (Malky Lees) who was over there same time as you and billitted in Metkovic. Drove for the UNHCR with Henderson Transport of Renfrew before he was evacuated due to shelling of the town. Soon after coming home he went off to do the South American Camel Rally with some English guys he met in Bosnia. He’s not much into PC’s so I doubt if he’d come on and post but he’s got a shed load of Photos from Bosnia so if he’ll not do it I’ll try to get them and scan them

Hi there, nice to find all the pics etc that have been put on here about the trucks that were in Bosnia, depending on when you were over there we might well know one another, I was out there from the beginning when we went over with a fleet of old Seddon Atkinsons and ERF’S. We were at Split for a couple of months before being pulled out of there and broght back to Zargreb where we were for a number of months. That is where the DAF’S arrived to before being posted out at various other locations. I have dug out my old photos of my time out there and once I have worked out how to get them onto here I will be glad to share them with you. If you can upload videos on here I have alot of footage also from there. Hope to here from you soon.

Kind Regards Tim Wincer

Mobile No 07711085307

Hi Tim , your name rings a bell, are you rather tall, big set, well spoken and lacking the hair department!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

Were you more of a fitter than a driver and did you run with me, Terry Brookes and another driver to Banja Luka once with the artics where Terry let you have ago uncoupling and coupling the trailer…you pulled the pin and disconnected the leads but forget one (0r maybe two) important things aswell…THE LEGS!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I was parked up next to you,saw what was happening and shouted to you to “stop you (zb)ing (zb)”!!! :lol: :laughing: You hit the brakes, Terrys head nearly hit the screen and I grabbed the winding handle to get the legs down!! All good fun :laughing: :wink:

Im sure I have a picture of us on route to there, will try and dig it out and post it. the one below may jog your memory a bit!!..

The truck behind me was from the Danish convoy team, dont know which way we were headed but its not often you see a scandanavian driver chaining up his front axle wheels even if the vehicle is a 2 axle all wheel drive set up!!

You went out there with John the Bank, action man (Tony Fuller),Racer Ray and Jerry Seymour (excellent boss to work for) RIP.

Post your pics if you have any, all are welcome.

In this picture above with the tank mines, the armoured landrover was being driven by that blond haired former marine based with you guys in Zagreb,Bob someone or another■■?.. we were on route to Sarajevo airport from Zenica to collect someone from the airport and it was his first time on the route.

What was the name of that hotel in Zagreb where you guys were based, the one with the Chinese restaurant in it?