Were in1993 ( completed but some great pictures )

Sorry for the quality of the picture.

Where was this taken. The year was 1993

Could it be Sarajevo or some other Bosnian city

It looks like Sarajevo to me or could it be Mostar. :question:

…Correct Sarajevo is the place…

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Do I know you■■?..I was driving those Dafs from November 1992- 1994.

We left the Uk with them in 1992, then they had drawbar trailers on the back and ran them to Metkovic in Southern Croatia via Zagreb. The Trailers were never used though because to many blokes had trouble reversing them and it was to risky to take them into Bosnia.

I was based in Metkovic for a year driving those DAFs then went up to Zagreb to set up the artic teams running into northern Bosnia, Banja luka, Vukovar etc, then went to Zenica to set up the team running out of there?

I`ve got hundreds of pics from my time over there but no scanner :unamused:
Nearly fell on the floor when I saw your picture!! :laughing:

You drove in the Blue Team ?

A few names to remeber ( Blue Team ) Racer Ray / Rodger / Mitch / Gary / Roy /

I was on the red team

Small world eh !!! Those were the day’s

I have many pictures i will try and scan a few i have about 8 hours of video footage but need to put it on Cd one day.

I think i know you did your mate marry a local girl and stay out there for a while
Also did you break you’r arm ?

P.s Remeber when the convoy’s passed each other and in the packed breakfast we had contained EGGS an we just used them as a passing gift on route ?

I was in the original blue team, Rodger, Gary, Ray and Mitch were in the original red team.

Cant say I remember any one chucking eggs around though!!

My mate did meet and marry a local girl but that wasnt until quite a few years later, she was from Sarajevo.

No, It wasnt my arm that got broken it was one of my ribs…

Climbing out of the cab of DAF 3300, missed the top step, started to go backwards reached out to grab the handles either side of the door frame, missed those to…straight on my backside in the dirt!! Stood up as you do pretending that I always get out of a truck like that :laughing: …looked around to find a spanish TV crew peeing themselves laughing and the camera pointing at me!! :open_mouth:

Think i probably ended up on a spanish version of that Jeremy Beadle show!!

Did the same thing again in Sarajevo, this time landing on an up turned iron stake that was sticking out of the ground
The only thing that stopped it going through me and me do an impression of a large donner kebab was my bullet proof vest.

Ended up in a French Foriegn Legion field hospital, with a broken rib,where they dry shaved my chest with a blunt disposable razor and wrapped me up in a 4 inch wide sticky bandage!

The pain of falling on that iron stake was nothing compared to taking that bandage off a few days later!!! :open_mouth: :laughing:

Have sent you a PM as well, look forward to seeing some of the pics from that time and if I ever get a scanner sorted out then I will try and do the same!!

Cheers, bullitt.

PS, there is another trucknet memeber who was out there with us, Colket, he is away quite abit doing Spain and Gibraltor for Continental Express but im sure he will see this.

A few more to view at this link

Best Viewed on slide show Some are slightly blurred…

photos.orange.co.uk/album/7863569

All taken 1993

Excellent pics and memories…The blown bridge over the Neretva River on the Mostar road, Caplina check point, then the off road bit, up into the hills on the Tarcin road, which was in reality just a dirt track that was solid ice and snow in the winter, a dust bowl in the summer and a mud bath at any other time of the year!!.. and the last one is what we called “Scotch Corner”, a wicked hairpin in the real sense of the word, the challenge was to do it in one without shunting or stopping, it was even more fun comeing home cos you were always empty and so would lose traction if you didnt get the angle, speed and gear right!!! Great days.

How long were you out there for?
If you dont want to post it on here then send me a PM,

Cheers, bullitt.

6 months from jan 1993

As you said was great fun untill they laid the tarmac then it got a little boriing.

And the race to get back and reload before all the others did.

Last i heard a couple were out in iraq …

I had a call about 2 years ago From Crown Agents for a job in Darfur teaching 4 wheel drive training and comms. I Declined as they were paying less than we got in 1993.

We must catch up in the chat room one day !!!

Just one report why Iraq is not a good place to Drive a Truck.

I was contacted and offered a Job there with Halliburton ( Kbr ) in Oct 2007

So i did some searching and i found this .

youtube.com/watch?v=YQBLsoOngA0

The guy films everything.

The ■■■■■■ unit was a national guard unit led by a female officer not a combat unit. she ordered her men to button up and run.

In yugoslavia we had bad day’s but the people wanted us there in IRAQ we are not wanted that is the problem.

The money just is not worth it well that’s my opinion…

26 years an Lgv Trainer:
…As you said was great fun untill they laid the tarmac then it got a little boriing…

Tarmac■■?..dont remember anyone laying any tarmac anywhere!!! :confused: :confused:

HMMM…must be my memory :laughing:

bullitt:

26 years an Lgv Trainer:
…As you said was great fun untill they laid the tarmac then it got a little boriing…

Tarmac■■?..dont remember anyone laying any tarmac anywhere!!! :confused: :confused:

Tarchin Was tamac in the end like a motorway :open_mouth:

26 years an Lgv Trainer:

bullitt:

26 years an Lgv Trainer:

Tarchin Was tamac in the end like a motorway :open_mouth:

Sorry mate, you have got the wrong bit of road there…if you left after 6 months then you would know that!!

The road from Konjic up into the hills and through the tunnels was an old beaten up and neglected (by our standards) stretch…coming down from the top of the hill with the big parking area and derilict restaurant, the road was a winding,single lane each way affair, through a couple of S bends until you turned sharp left off the road and onto the dirt!!

No tarmac there and definatly no-body laying it, just dirt and mud and in the winter thick snow and ice!!

I presume you came on our “tour of northern Bosnia” then!!

If you did, you wouldnt forget what happened to us at Bratanaz!!..on the way back from■■?

Bratanaz i think was on leave last week of march first week of april 1993

Seems like a test to me… 15 years ago hmmmmmmm

How about Approaching Mostar and the flag goes RED…
Then The big detour around triangle route. Seemed liked we spent hours driving over rocks.

How about the game of football at the serbian border when that guy john was roped in his cab.

How about the fancy dress party and the hotel in metkovich ( sp )
Where action man dressed up as a baby even wearing a nappy.

Sniper alley was a nice place to drive aswell

Yummy the chinnese at the hotel we used in zagreb ( cant remember name )

Interpretor Helana Red Team ( Mick moved in for a while :wink: )

Convoy leaders … The ex marine ( blue )… Smudge. (.red )… Judge .(red )

A few names… Roger … Frank… Danny… Ian … Dave ( Dangerous ) Racer ray … roy … action man … John… tommy…

The flight out of sarejevo as it was to bad to drive out ( Dont ya love those hercules planes )

Gonivacuf ( Spelling ) The barrel bombs whilst staying in the brit camp…

Did i pass the test ?

The situation is Tense :open_mouth:

This is getting real interesting, :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi 26, dont worry, nothings a test!! Were you a driver out there or one of the support staff?

Well I cant recall any flags on the Mostar road, red, green, blue, pink or any other colour!! If the road was open then we went and if it was closed then we went the long way round, up into the hills over the rocks and dirt tracks, thats where your picture of scotch corner was from, at least we were getting towards the end around there. have got some great pics of the view straight down the mountain into the Neretva river.

Dont recall a game of football at the serb border, which one was it at…the one between Sarajevo and Pale or the one on the main drag between Zagreb and Belgrade. As for john getting tied to his truck, if its the chap im thinking of then I can quite believe that! :smiley: :smiley:

The fancy dress party was part of a Festival in Metkovic, known as the “masked ball”. Everybody dresses in fancy dress , supposedly with their faces covered up, me and barnsey were dressed as a couple of mummies (egyptian not yummy! :smiley: ), a good night was had by all, especially a couple of the local girls!! :wink: :smiley:

Sniper alley…well, what can I say, talk about sureal. For those who wont know, sniper alley was part of the old dual carriage way that ran roughly north to south down the west side of the city. It began at the airport and was the only way into the city for trucks. The neighbouring buildings each side of the road formed part of the front lines for the various factions. If you type Dobrinja into google images you can see what it was like, totaly deserted except for the snipers who used the bombed out and burned out buildings for cover. It was one hell of an adrenalin rush driving down there, especialy when the locals decided to use us for target practice. You could hear the rounds pinging off the road surface and the armco as you went, a few of our vehicles got hit but luckily none of the drivers!!
At the top end of the road just after the airport was house on which somebody had painted “welcome to Sarajevo”…

freewebs.com/ericinbosnia/Welcome.jpg

It became a bit of an iconic picture for a while and believe me, that house is in fairly good condition compared to what was left of the surounding suburbs!!
In the middle of sniper alley was a chicane checkpoint which, if not opened up at the right time to let us past, used to cause everyone to slow down and a couple of times come to a stop, not a good thing to be doing on that road.

And at the end before the sharp right around the back of the city, by the flyover, was a boars head fixed to a traffic sign with the name “Radovan Kharadzic” written next to it!

That hotel in Zagreb!! God what a dump! Never used that rip off chinese restaurant in there, I used to go next door to “Jannas”, a cafe ■■■ soup kitchen :laughing: At least the food was cheap and cheerful!!

Our interpreters were very, very brave girls, all things considered. Innes was the girl that mick became “friendly” with!! :laughing: Both her and Blue teams interpreter, a girl called Izmeta came to England for the re-union in the Union Jack club in London.

The ex marine was Bob Philips, an ex royal marine PTI, he was blue teams convoy leader, Smudger (eric) was ex parachute regiment, and Mick Judge was his 2 i/c before taking over as blue teams C/L when the teams split and Red went Zagreb.

Rogder, Danny, Frank Bailey,Ian, Dangerous Dave Terry, Racer, Roy the Boy, Scottish Billy, Trevor Kay, Action man, Tommy (hi girls), Ben and Ray (AKA the dangerous brothers)…wonder where they all are now?

It was the red team that were flown out of Sarajevo on the Herc…Blue got stuck in the city twice because of the curfew, a couple of lively nights indeed! :open_mouth:

Gorni Vakuf…were you with us the night the barrel bombs first went off? Jesus what a noise, nothing left of those houses and the poor souls inside them. We got stuck in the camp one morning and had to be evacuated a few hours later…another story in itself!

Like I said 26, nothings a test. Look forward to seeing some more pics if you have any.

Cheers, bullitt.

I was a driver out there.

A Quote from Rodger from the team. I hate that HAT

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

The flags were put out by the spanish just before entering mostar if the town was quiet ( green flag was displayed ) if they were bombing the ■■■■ out of moster the spanish displayed a red flag ( take detour )

I am sure it was mostar …

Yes the flight out of sarejevo on the herc was great

Remember ferrari ( We aint talking about the car tho…)

Called ferrari cause she had more broken teeth than a ferrari gear box…

Last i heard izmeta was living with one of the guys. that was about 4-5 years ago i think ( With Trevor KAy )

This Party !!!

From The Left Dangerous DAVE / Gary Maddison / Barnsey ? / You / Front Row Mitch

Not sure about Dave But last i heard gary was working for maintanaince at felixstowe port authority / And Mitch was driving for i think maritime out of felixstowe … but that was about 5-7 years ago…

:open_mouth: :laughing: :open_mouth: :laughing: :open_mouth: :laughing:

WTF!!..brilliant picture, yes that me on the right with the shades on, and Barnsey doing his impression of a Ku Klux Klan memeber :laughing:
15 years ago, jesus!!

Ferrarri…what a lovely girl, she became a bit obsessive towards Barnsey after a while, but the name was well suited, as you say, that girl had more broken teeth than a Ferrarri gearbox!!

Remember the receptionist Jasna :wink: :wink: :blush:
Ahhhhh…good times!

Yes, izmeta came to the UK, I know that she was living with Trevor, but dont know if that was “living together” romantically or wether Izmeta was staying with Trevor whilst studying.

I know that Dangerous recieved his divorce papers while out there, I was sitting outside the Hotel Narona in Metkovic having a coffee with him when he opened the envelope!! Not that he seemed to bothered about it. He mentioned that he was going to try and buy his own fitters work shop / garage business in Essex somewhere when he returned.
I think Gary ended up working with young offenders or something, dont know why I think that though!! :laughing:

Last I heard of Barnsey was that he was working in Kosovo somewhere for an organisation like the red cross or someone.

Some more names, Stevie Wray, Tony Daley (ex 2 Para), Morgan Langham, Nobby (ex marine).

Thanks for posting the pic, hope you dont mind but I copied it to my computer.Will have to get my scanner sorted now!! :wink:

Help yourself to any of the pictures.

looking forward to seeing a few of you’r pictures when scanner is working…