The River Tyne

1977 and the start to the Queen Elizabeth11 Bridge.
Oily

Howdon Car Ferry Jarrow 1967.
Oily

Two more.
Oily

Newcastle Heaton Dene 1965 i PD 8190760708_32394ed373_opd.jpg

Newcastle in PD 4081268408_ca19d5e622_o...jpg

What super pictures and what a change in cranes in this " short time" I wonder if the coach has an expremental Harrington body and the Prefect looks in the right position for starting with a 6 volt battery.Not sure but my lad lives in High Heaton could you give me location of Heaton itself.

Tony

oiltreader:
Oily

That ferry is the “AB Gowan”. I lived less than half a mile from that ferry landing (Gray Street) until I was aged nine. The ferry was built in 1921 in Amble (l think) it ran until the day the road tunnel was opened in September 1967. It was scrapped at Dunston the same year. That pic Oily must be one of the last ever taken of the boat and the landing at Jarrow. Regards Kev. PS Thanks for the memory. :smiley: :smiley:

Rastone wrote: Not sure but my lad lives in High Heaton could you give me location of Heaton itself.

Heaton and High Heaton lie Northeast of Newcastle centre and are two separate places as you may have guessed, High Heaton is North of Heaton and both are separated by the Newcastle to Tynemouth Coast Rd. The photo with the old Ford has the caption Heaton Dene but this was more likely Heaton Park, the Ouseburn Valley runs North from the River Tyne through Heaton and High Heaton, Gosforth and on still heading North. The Ouseburn separates the Heatons from Jesmond to its left and is called Jesmond Dene here. At the top end of High Heaton is the very large DHSS complex known by locals as ‘The Ministry’ which employs many from the Northeast. High Heaton as the name suggests was always seen as one of the ‘Posher’ parts of the areas that surround Newcastle because of its mostly private housing. My wife was born in Heaton close to the Coast Rd/Chillingham Rd, this road travels from Byker near the river (where I was born) North to Heaton and further although with road name changes. High Heaton today is still a very nice area, I hope this helps in locating the whereabouts your son lives when you look at this modern road map of the area. Cheers Franky.

High Heaton.jpg

kevmac47:

oiltreader:
Oily

That ferry is the “AB Gowan”. I lived less than half a mile from that ferry landing (Gray Street) until I was aged nine. The ferry was built in 1921 in Amble (l think) it ran until the day the road tunnel was opened in September 1967. It was scrapped at Dunston the same year. That pic Oily must be one of the last ever taken of the boat and the landing at Jarrow. Regards Kev. PS Thanks for the memory. :smiley: :smiley:

Tyne Tunnel and judging by the Daf probably sometime late '70s.
Oily

kevmac47:

oiltreader:
Oily

[/quote

Frankydobo:
Rastone wrote: Not sure but my lad lives in High Heaton could you give me location of Heaton itself.

Heaton and High Heaton lie Northeast of Newcastle centre and are two separate places as you may have guessed, High Heaton is North of Heaton and both are separated by the Newcastle to Tynemouth Coast Rd. The photo with the old Ford has the caption Heaton Dene but this was more likely Heaton Park, the Ouseburn Valley runs North from the River Tyne through Heaton and High Heaton, Gosforth and on still heading North. The Ouseburn separates the Heatons from Jesmond to its left and is called Jesmond Dene here. At the top end of High Heaton is the very large DHSS complex known by locals as ‘The Ministry’ which employs many from the Northeast. High Heaton as the name suggests was always seen as one of the ‘Posher’ parts of the areas that surround Newcastle because of its mostly private housing. My wife was born in Heaton close to the Coast Rd/Chillingham Rd, this road travels from Byker near the river (where I was born) North to Heaton and further although with road name changes. High Heaton today is still a very nice area, I hope this helps in locating the whereabouts your son lives when you look at this modern road map of the area. Cheers Franky.

Frankydobo:

Thanks for that.After about 20’rs managing to Know where I am.Walk down the Dene quite a bit and over the bridge(.Pity about the pollution in the river there isn’t it) and past the Ministry.I know Chillingham Road as he lives not far from Sainsbury’s.Yes some quiet streets and I would think houses around the 1930’s.Probally cost new abou £500.My lad Barney showed me the call centres up the road.AMAZING and we all think these call’s come from India.

Thanks again

Tony

kevmac47:

oiltreader:
Oily

Hi Kev , How are you doing my friend OK I hope, Any news on the Xmas Bash Yet ?, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

kevmac47:

oiltreader:
Oily

Hi Kev , How are you doing my friend OK I hope, Any news on the Xmas Bash Yet ?, Regards Larry.

"Thoo shall hev a little fishy on a little dishy all together now !!! :laughing: :laughing: :wink: Couldn’t resist Larry ! Cheers Dennis.

Ha ha, you’ve got the lingo off to a tee Dennis, I used to work with the uncle of Alex Glasgow who wrote and sang that song when I was a lad at the Newcastle AEC dealers, he was in his late 50’s then I suppose but George was a lovely man and an expert engineer, I learnt a lot from him, just a bit of useless info but your ditty reminded me of him! Cheers Franky.

Frankydobo:
Ha ha, you’ve got the lingo off to a tee Dennis, I used to work with the uncle of Alex Glasgow who wrote and sang that song when I was a lad at the Newcastle AEC dealers, he was in his late 50’s then I suppose but George was a lovely man and an expert engineer, I learnt a lot from him, just a bit of useless info but your ditty reminded me of him! Cheers Franky.

Fascinating stuff Franky. It sounds like a nineteenth century ditty. Such pride by association. I’ve heard this on an advert - though for what I can’t remember (can’t have been John West salmon!) so very redolent of Newcastle and the Tyne!

John.

Lawrence Dunbar:

kevmac47:

oiltreader:
Oily

Larry, I’m waiting for confirmation of the date from one of the original organizers, he is on holiday at the moment, as soon as he confirms the date I will pass it on. Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

Lawrence Dunbar:

kevmac47:

oiltreader:
Oily

Larry, I’m waiting for confirmation of the date from one of the original organizers, he is on holiday at the moment, as soon as he confirms the date I will pass it on. Regards Kev.

Plenty of time to alert the local constabulary about the pending riotous assembly then kev . Dave

Frankydobo:

Why aye Franky Bonny lad wor Larry 'al nar it word perfect having grown up on the banks of the Tyne ! Cheers Dennis.

They’ll know we’re coming when they hear the roar of the 240 Gardner powered zimmer frames in convoy over the Tyne Bridge Dave. :smiley: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :unamused: :unamused: :imp: :imp: Regards Kev.

I believe that this 1950’s Spillers photo was taken alongside the River Tyne.

Quayside.jpg

Looks like it Graham, about the only things left are the river itself and those rail lines, no Spillers, Boats, Sheds or lorries waiting to load, just ghosts!

Two more, the Trader with a British Railways freight container on board, the originis of which went back to the horse and cart days .
Oily

Another couple of good pics Oily, can just spot a Van Hee TK on the right of the second photo, can’t make out the name on the first pic just yet! Franky.