The River Tyne

sandway:

oiltreader:

sandway:
Just seen the original thread put on by LD. This area was one of my favourite destinations also. I used to work for Mitchell & Robertson in the early 70’s hauling fruit from Staplehurst Kent where we were based to all the fruit markets around the country. Team Valley at Low Fell was always on my radar when the jobs came in. I drove an AEC Marshall flatbed in those days. Never took a 4 wheeler up there. Did a few loads later when the company expanded and bought some artics. Had to be in the market for 5 in the morning so it was a bit of a slog especially if the lorry wasn’t loaded till late. Once tipped I would make my way into Newcastle, over the Tyne bridge and park up just down from the bridge on Quayside. I would then walk back to King Street, or was it Lombard Street? where Archbold had an office. If I was lucky they would sort out a 15 ton return load back to the smoke or maybe North Kent. Often though I was out of luck so I would sit out my time on the quay and return home empty later in the day.

A pic for you sandway “park up just down from the bridge on Quayside” once upon a time eh :slight_smile:
Oily

Blimey! Thats a bit different from when I was there last. Oh well thats progress I suppose.

Yes “sandway” Its all changed no clearance houses or haulage Co offices, Not even a café, Sad but very true, That’s progress for you, You cant even park on the Quayside now, Of course theres no shipping movements, Its all at Tyne Dock on both sides of the Tyne, Happy long gone days, :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: Regards Larry.

No parking problems in those days,Regards Larry.

I took this one yesterday from Mill Dam looking over to Royal Quays.

Larry, “The Great North Bike Ride” I’ve been waiting for my son in law to set up a “just giving” link for anyone wanting to sponsor this ride.
As you know I was a bit reluctant to ask for donations but, one or two people (mainly relatives) expressed an interest in donating so this is the link:- justgiving.com/fundraising/ … -Bike-Ride

I hope the link works!!! my brain has just imploded trying to get my head around the way to post it.[attachment=0]051.JPG[/attachment

A Tyneside electric passenger train leaving the High Level Bridge at Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 1948. In 1904 the North Tyneside lines became one of the first railways in Britain to be converted for use by electric passenger trains. The South Tyneside lines were electrified in the 1930s. In the background are the keep of the medieval castle, and the Tyne bridge. Trains enter and leave Newcastle station across a complex diamond arrangement of tracks.
Text copyright of NRM and SSPL and used within the terms covered by cc by nc sa 2.0
Oily

Tyneside © National Railway Museum and SSPL coming off High Level Bridge 1995-7233_LIVST_ccTE_40.jpg

British Railways 150-ton trolley wagon, about 1955. The wagon is carrying a huge generator or turbine, built at C A Parsons’ works in Heaton, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. This set of wagons comprised two 60-ton flat wagons, a 110-ton well wagon and two 20-ton well wagons. The loads were supported on massive steel cantilevers. The wagon set was designed in the 1920s by a team led by Sir Nigel Gresley, the London & North Eastern Railway’s Chief Mechanical Engineer. It could carry loads up to 150-tons and was used to transport electrical generators, gun barrels, girders, machinery and other outsize loads on the railway.
Text copyright of NRM and SSPL and used within the terms covered by cc by nc sa 2.0
Oily

Tyneside © National Railway Museum and SSPL 1955 1996-7038_BTFcc_13563_21.jpg

A 150-ton trolley wagon, built by the London & North Eastern Railway, at Heaton, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, about 1930. This set of wagons comprised two 60-ton flat wagons, a 110-ton well wagon and two 20-ton well wagons. The loads were supported on massive steel cantilevers. The wagon set was designed by a team led by Sir Nigel Gresley, the LNER’s Chief Mechanical Engineer. It could carry loads up to 150-tons and was used to transport electrical generators, gun barrels, girders, machinery and other outsize loads on the railway. The buildings in the background are the Heaton Works of C A Parsons & Co Ltd, manufacturers of steam turbine generators. The load is a stator for a power station electricity generator and is being delivered either to a UK power station or to the docks for export.
Oily

Tyneside © National Railway Museum and SSPL 150 ton trolley wagon at Heaton nrsspl1997-7486_363.jpg

Railway poster ad.
Oily

Tyneside © National Railway Museum and SSPL pic_1992-7745.._2.jpg

Back on page one, all products of Northern Coachbuilders of Claremont St, Newcastle, the first pic of an Arran Diesel, never heard of them, but find they were built 1934/37 at Welwyn Garden City.
Oily

Bridge construction over the Tyne.
Oily

oiltreader:
The construction of the High Level.
Oily

What a cracking picture.

Tony

oiltreader:
The construction of the High Level.
Oily

Sometimes I think a simple ‘like’ button would be a good idea. Just laziness. This really is a piece of history. Delighted that they held the ends straight with cables.

Perhaps they should have had something similar with ‘box girder’ bridges. As I remember 2 collapsed, one over the Avon as they constructed the M5, and also possibly the one at the ‘tickled trout’ over the M6. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

The thing was, at the time, engineer or not, it seemed fairly obvious that box girders were incredibly strong once put together, but until they were one piece could twist and then collapse.

John

Its the New Tyne Bridge being built Oily, the High Level is the bridge behind, very unique at the time it has two tiers, railway on the top, three tracks, and a roadway below it both still in use, designed by no other than Robert Stephenson it was opened by Queen Victoria September 1849. The smaller Swing Bridge, built in the 1860’s on the sight of the old Georgian Tyne Bridge which itself had replaced an older Medieval bridge that had been swept away in the great flood, can just be seen between the two, this was operated by Hydraulics using water pressure and designed by William Armstrong who had the Arms Factory further up river at Elswick. Today the Tyne has other bridges and tunnels but it is still a nightmare to cross from one side to the other during peak times or when major roadworks are being carried out. The biggest hold up today on the Tyne Bridge is the want of individuals to jump or threaten to jump into the dark river below something that seems to be all to common unfortunately. During the Tyne Bridge build only one man lost his life falling from the structure when it was almost complete, Nathanial Collins a scaffolder from South Shields fell 175ft onto the walkway then into the water, the real hero that day was the boatman who grabbed his body when it surfaced and hung onto it despite an ebb tide taking both quarter of a mile up river before other help came. Nathanial’s injuries were too severe however and he died in the infirmary leaving a wife and four kids. Two of those brave workers below!

“Its the New Tyne Bridge being built” :blush: cheers for the proper info Frankydobo :smiley: . now sorted.
Cheers
Oily