Haulage around Newcastle on Tyne

One for old time .
We used to do a lot of deliveries in the sixties in and around Newcasle from down South , cabbing it behind the Newcasle football ground for a good night out , with two bob to the kids you knew your Lorry was safe and Ten Bob for a nights Beer , on 17s/6d a night out you had a bit of money to spare , but I also remember parking down on the Quays waiting for a backload . possibly A1 Transport but there were good backloads from there , British Ropes was a good`n . Grey matter also tells me I used to park on the Quays for a night out and book into some digs somewhere local and the owner would do a shuttle with the drivers in a Minibus to the Digs or Cafe , and drop you off in the morning .
Memory no good so put me out of my misery .
Frenchy .

Did you ever load off McPhees Transport on City Road Frenchy?
I did it just the once,loading electrodes out of Anglo Great Lakes on Scotswood Road for Tinsley Park,Sheffield.
My gaffer went crackers when I rung him on the way home,'cos he reckoned they were bad payers.I didn’t tell him some of the older drivers on the firm put me on to McPhees and never found out if we got paid. :laughing:
I never stayed in Newcastle but several times on Denmark Street in Gateshead.

frenchy:
One for old time .
We used to do a lot of deliveries in the sixties in and around Newcasle from down South , cabbing it behind the Newcasle football ground for a good night out , with two bob to the kids you knew your Lorry was safe and Ten Bob for a nights Beer , on 17s/6d a night out you had a bit of money to spare , but I also remember parking down on the Quays waiting for a backload . possibly A1 Transport but there were good backloads from there , British Ropes was a good`n . Grey matter also tells me I used to park on the Quays for a night out and book into some digs somewhere local and the owner would do a shuttle with the drivers in a Minibus to the Digs or Cafe , and drop you off in the morning .
Memory no good so put me out of my misery .
Frenchy .

hi frenchy was there a pub rose & crown next to the digs if so it bellingham’s on city road, if you drank on the quayside back then it was most probably a pub called the ship, lot of driver drank there, botch :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Chris Webb:
I did it just the once,loading electrodes out of Anglo Great Lakes on Scotswood Road for Tinsley Park,Sheffield.
My gaffer went crackers when I rung him on the way home,'cos he reckoned they were bad payers.I didn’t tell him some of the older drivers on the firm put me on to McPhees and never found out if we got paid. :laughing:

thats a comany from the past Anglo Great Lakes hope you did’nt use good sheets to cover it, cause they would be black as the ace of spade’s our gaffer used to go nuts if used good sheets. did 1000,s of tons out of there, botch

botch:

Chris Webb:

thats a comany from the past Anglo Great Lakes hope you did’nt use good sheets to cover it, cause they would be black as the ace of spade’s our gaffer used to go nuts if used good sheets. did 1000,s of tons out of there, botch

:smiley: Never had many decent sheets botch,most of our work was steel and any good one you kept for sheeting stainless.

Bellinghams used to advertise in Headlight I seem to recall.

I remember McPhees but mostly spent a day on the Quays waiting for a backload , Once I was looking for Vickers firth in The scotswood road and asked people at a bus stop , big mistake , first they sang The bladen races and then said " Whey aye man your in The scotswood road now ".
Bellinghams was the digs , thanks Botch ,
All hail to the Headlight , gave us so much info in those days including Backloads and digs but alot of dodgy backloads sometimes only just covered Diesel , I usually squared it with the Management first or I got a bollocking .
As soon as I got back they`d spin me round and back up to Newcastle , I could do Southampton to Newcastle in 8 hours on a good run .
frenchy

What about Smiles for Miles botch,are they still going?And J.R.Adams,what about them?
I’ll have to have a think about hauliers from Tyneside and put a list up. :smiley:

Bellinghams were good digs, I stayed there often… Someone once told me Bellingham was a bookie in Newcastle, dont know if it was true or not. At BRS we used to go to Team Valley depot for a load home, Tyne Brand Foods, I think we also got Formica sheets out of there as well. Thornaby depot on Teeside gave us coils of wire we ran to Lennoxtown nr Glasgow where it was turned into nails.
Alex

Chris Webb:
What about Smiles for Miles botch,are they still going?And J.R.Adams,what about them?
I’ll have to have a think about hauliers from Tyneside and put a list up. :smiley:

don’t think miles’ are, but adams definitely are, loaded out of stadium packers on same site a few weeks ago for libya

Chris Webb:

A posting I put on the thread,“List of Scania operators”:
Yes I remember those Scania 110’s,day cabs.
Vic Wild,(Wild Group),bought McPhees out and brought all the motors down to Stoke,about 1972?
When Wilds first took over McPhees,we did some work,including the carbon electrodes,before all the motors were brought down to Stoke.Some of them were leased out to Wild’s O.D’s

Chris Webb:

Chris, Smiles fo MILES finished trading when the family had a fall out, the wild group used the garage has a depot after they took over Mcphees , J R Adams is still going strong the grandson james runs it now :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hiya,
when living in the north west (live in the north east now) in my pre brs days always seemed to get lumbered with jebbs waste you got bales to make your trailer sided then loose stuff to make your load up always got decent stuff out of brs team valley though , thanks harry long retired.

Aye harry i used to load out of jebbs in the 90s when i was on for harveys at farnworth back to trinity mills at little lever or holcombe,the bales were rubbish and this was when we were roping and sheeting,very dodgy standing on top spreading sheets,no harness,no H&S.