The reason I don't live in Canada

robinhood_1984:
My current place certainly buck the Maritimes trend. They actually ask my permission to send me on any trip that will involve me not having both Saturday and Sunday off in their entirety. My permission is often not granted because I’m not at the stage where I want a life away from work and unlike most firms here who would sack you for such unorthodox views, they don’t actually mind at all. Now and then I do a long haul trip to Florida or Texas but they’re certainly not forced on me and because they bend over backwards to accommodate me, I don’t mind helping them out when they ask because I know they’re genuine, something that can’t be said of most firms in this area.

My dispatcher always gets me home for the weekend but when I got stuck in Toronto the other week he was so remorseful, to be fair on the Wednesday before going he did say “Only take it if you are sure you can be home Friday night” I took it and the delay was at the delivery end.

For the first time in I don’t know when I won’t get back till Saturday morning. That don’t happen often

Hi I’m a fellow truck driver being made redundant. My fiancée is half american as her mum was born there and moved to england when she met my fiancée s dad. We both want new challenge and fancy moving to the states but unsure if my fiancée can get citizen ship and also if its worth uprooting as there are children. Many thanks

hi m8 im in Canada but pretty sure its pretty differcult to get into usa as driver if u got family its a big move know quite few guys came to Canada some make it some lost everything savings wise and if u got family its not just you that’s got to wanna settle here.but gd luck :smiley:

Pat is the best one to ask about the states he has done the process

Pat Hasler:

robinhood_1984:
My current place certainly buck the Maritimes trend. They actually ask my permission to send me on any trip that will involve me not having both Saturday and Sunday off in their entirety. My permission is often not granted because I’m not at the stage where I want a life away from work and unlike most firms here who would sack you for such unorthodox views, they don’t actually mind at all. Now and then I do a long haul trip to Florida or Texas but they’re certainly not forced on me and because they bend over backwards to accommodate me, I don’t mind helping them out when they ask because I know they’re genuine, something that can’t be said of most firms in this area.

My dispatcher always gets me home for the weekend but when I got stuck in Toronto the other week he was so remorseful, to be fair on the Wednesday before going he did say “Only take it if you are sure you can be home Friday night” I took it and the delay was at the delivery end.

Hi pat my fella is a truck driver he is being made redundant and were thinking of moving to canada but unsure if its worth it an how much u need in savings etc be very grateful if you could help many thanks estelle ■■

stevejones:
hi m8 im in Canada but pretty sure its pretty differcult to get into usa as driver if u got family its a big move know quite few guys came to Canada some make it some lost everything savings wise and if u got family its not just you that’s got to wanna settle here.but gd luck :smiley:

Thanks for reply my prob is been spoilt in last job now got go bk trampin an only get one day off one week an two days off next week an double my hours in order to get type money I was on without taking massive pay cut. We both have no ties over here.

ok m8 but over here especially while u on work permit u soon find out about long hours big miles and not much time of . all depends which province u make home there few good jobs but the norm for truck driver in Canada compared to Europe is not easy . further west u move better money but more rent etc. there r guys that do well here but on looking back over 9yrs been here more guys I know that moved back than stayed. don’t know ur history but if u not done at least long haul European u might struggle with distances. but anything I can help with just post I try and ans 4 ya gd luck :smiley:

There hasn’t been many go back in my area, most of them went back because of other things than the job from what I gather. The usual can’t settle, miss the family type of thing.

The job itself is not hard at first, you’re fuelled by adrenaline and visiting all the places that you’d previously only seen in TV is quite a buzz. Also there’s another huge factor in that which many won’t admit.

Most of the drivers came here to drive big American trucks and live out their Convoy and Smokey and the Bandit dreams, all this better life for the family stuff is mostly a load of ■■■■■■■■.

ha ha ye nicely put :smiley:

Hahaa my fella has done tramping over here he done it for ten yrs working 15-16 hour days working 80+ hours x what states are best plz ■■

well its down to personal thing but basically starting in east /maritimes nice scenic place not gd place regarding wages and the treatment of drivers .then u got quebec mini france deffo no/no well for me anyway . then Ontario if u want big city life Toronto plenty jobs fair wages but rat race all round that area . then u got Manitoba and Saskatchewan in middle apart from there province capitals where there is trucking jobs some good most same as east poor conditions . and not a lot to do or see . next west u got alberta u can land good work there in places Calgary/Edmonton/and places in between.but more expensive to live.then my faivourite spot british Columbia Vancouver being the hot spot very nice place . if I was doing it all again that’s where id be heading . now that’s a quick summary depending where u live in uk basically Manitoba /Saskatchewan .depressing especially in winter but we all want different things don’t mean to be personal but what age bracket r u in if poss :smiley: hope this will help but sure somebody will say I wrong but been here 9 yrs so saying it as it is thru my travels :smiley:

That sums it up really, BC is absolutely stunning, lots of good work in the oil industry in AB, getting like that in SK, but it and MB are boring, Toronto is busy, both in work and lifestyle, Quebec is France, nuff said, the maritimes are nice but the jobs are crap, for the most part.

If I was doing it all again, it would be Toronto, as nice as BC is, it’s too expensive and it’s too isolated, whichever way you go from there you’re up to the eyeballs in snow for six months of the year.

ye sums it up gd thing outta b.c. there triangle work as maritimes does mostly new York p.a. Toronto and back which im pleased to say finished that boring east coast nightmare way back short work outta b.c. is a run down California Arizona or the like I f…g hate the eastern seaboard woops. im going into 1 again l.o.l but u get my drift :smiley:

stevejones:
ye sums it up gd thing outta b.c. there triangle work as maritimes does mostly new York p.a. Toronto and back which im pleased to say finished that boring east coast nightmare way back short work outta b.c. is a run down California Arizona or the like I f…g hate the eastern seaboard woops. im going into 1 again l.o.l but u get my drift :smiley:

Hahaaaa well I’m 30 something an my fella in fortys x were just after some were nice to live not too expensive an nice for kids x dont know if u know uk but I lived on wirral in birkenhead not best places now live in northwich which is very countryside. I dont drive at the min ■■

What companies are good an bad plz ■■

oh ok regarding work permits and like under 50 u ok .im from Northampton if u like rolling hills lakes /ocean life and secure for kids its beautifule here in prince Edward island on east coast but not best for trucking . but there 3 companies on island that do the l.m.o if u can put up with there crap for couple yrs its worth it . im coming home in 2 wks just started to miss uk and way of life at home also died on a operating table in feb very lucky to be here . Canadian partner coming with me she loves uk if u get any more questions feel free to post :smiley:

What is l.m.o plz x is rent cheap? Really sorry to hear about yer op hun x

its basically what any company that offers u work has to complete then if alls well u get work permit some provinces easier than others . alberta Ontario few probs at minute things changing but new Brunswick /prince Edward island /Saskatchewan/Manitoba still got some companies that registered for lmo. then if u accepted u get work permit with that companies name on it usually for 2yrs where iam for example nice 2 bed apt with deck 850dollars a mth plus your water/electric/once u head west further u go more expensive it is. p.e.i. good place to bring kids up safe and u got everything u need nearby.

Thanks hun for yer help x