Just in case you are thinking of Canada

OK. Fuelled by recent topics started by my wonderful new friend, steveo, I shall now make some points.

Canada is a fabulous place to live and work. I truly, absolutely believe this.

BUT!!..

It is not like the UK. The country is huge, the weather can be daunting and the sheer mileages covered daily can overwhelm. It is no land of get rich and retire as a truck driver. It is not all milk and honey. It’s damned hard work and you are starting all over again with houses, schools, friends, etc.

That said, it is very exciting to do that. It is a new start where nobody knows your name and your history is private.

If you want to try then you should.

BUT!!!..

If you think the 48 hour working week is a good idea, that you should earn £600 after tax for the 48 hours, that the world owes you anything, that living in -35 plus windchill is easy, or that you should not have to figure things out for yourself…

DON’T EVEN ENTERTAIN THE IDEA because you will not make it. It is not like that. The world owes you nothing and you have to do things for yourself.

If you make the move then start moaning about how you don’t like this and that then you deserve all the trouble you get.

bobthedog:
If you make the move then start moaning about how you don’t like this and that then you deserve all the trouble you get.

Well said Bob, bit like the ‘whingeing Pom’ syndrome down under, there weren’t really that many of them in relation to the enormous number of happy ones - but they sure made themselves heard and made their mark with the Aussies.

We get a similar thing here too. Those that are always moaning about the French way of life and how you can’t get this or that, and things were better ‘back home’. :smiling_imp:
I was at the annual ‘Marché de Nuit’ last night when the whole village is closed off for dancing buying drinking and eating. Queueing for our grub at one of the many outside restaurants we, the French in front and behind me, realised that it wasn’t moving very fast. The reason was that other people were forming their own queues at angles to ours and funnelling to the table. No problem, we laughed and joked that this was a ‘Latin’ queue and nothing like an English or German one. The man behind me said with a grin it was a ‘bordelle’ (a ‘shambles’ and the word we get ‘bordello’ from :unamused: ) In fact we turned the whole experience into an enjoyable exchange of banter. So we ate a bit later than otherwise, so what, was pleased to see no other ‘Anglais’ in the line though. :wink:

Spardo:

bobthedog:

Well said Bob, bit like the ‘whingeing Pom’ syndrome down under, there weren’t really that many of them in relation to the enormous number of happy ones - but they sure made themselves heard and made their mark with the Aussies.

We get a similar thing here too. Those that are always moaning about the French way of life and how you can’t get this or that, and things were better ‘back home’. :smiling_imp:
I was at the annual ‘Marché de Nuit’ last night when the whole village is closed off for dancing buying drinking and eating. Queueing for our grub at one of the many outside restaurants we, the French in front and behind me, realised that it wasn’t moving very fast. The reason was that other people were forming their own queues at angles to ours and funnelling to the table. No problem, we laughed and joked that this was a ‘Latin’ queue and nothing like an English or German one. The man behind me said with a grin it was a ‘bordelle’ (a ‘shambles’ and the word we get ‘bordello’ from :unamused: ) In fact we turned the whole experience into an enjoyable exchange of banter. So we ate a bit later than otherwise, so what, was pleased to see no other ‘Anglais’ in the line though. :wink:

I wont comment on the French , only that they eat to much garlic :unamused:

bobthedog:
OK. Fuelled by recent topics started by my wonderful new friend, steveo, I shall now make some points.

Canada is a fabulous place to live and work. I truly, absolutely believe this.

BUT!!..

It is not like the UK. The country is huge, the weather can be daunting and the sheer mileages covered daily can overwhelm. It is no land of get rich and retire as a truck driver. It is not all milk and honey. It’s damned hard work and you are starting all over again with houses, schools, friends, etc.

That said, it is very exciting to do that. It is a new start where nobody knows your name and your history is private.

If you want to try then you should.

BUT!!!..

If you think the 48 hour working week is a good idea, that you should earn £600 after tax for the 48 hours, that the world owes you anything, that living in -35 plus windchill is easy, or that you should not have to figure things out for yourself…

DON’T EVEN ENTERTAIN THE IDEA because you will not make it. It is not like that. The world owes you nothing and you have to do things for yourself.

Thanks for that Bob :laughing:
So what you are saying is, that you have to work like a dog ,in -30 , just to get a descent wage to live on :laughing: .
Canada is a nice country I agree scenery and all, not forgetting bear ■■■ in your garden if you like that sort of thing , Thanks for coming clean about the work , and conditions :laughing: .
Thats all anybody wants , just the truth :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

OK I give up :unamused: make of it what you will but the following below is taken from “somewhere else” and basicaly answers the questions and gives the truth. This conversation by Bob and Myself was in answer to someone with similar ideas on the subject (hope you don’t mind Bob but it seemed easier than constantly answering stupid questions) :unamused: :wink:

MM:
]Let me put it SIMPLY for you IMHO and experience.

You will work about the same hours per day as in the UK but OTR due to the distances involved then you will be away from home for much longer periods.

Generally the work is a compromise i.e. if you want “no touch” freight then that is generally box van / reefer territory and that usually is OTR for lengthy periods. You can make the money just like tramping UK/Europe but just as easily pss it up the wall while parked up
(but don’t assume you won’t be in the trailer at some point seriously grafting)

Short haul day work is just as long and perhaps longer days witha ■■■■ load more handball (north americans are still big on handball and tail lifts are not a given on multi drop stuff)

It’s horses for courses really.

The trucks are more cramped in the driving area with dreadfull ergonomics but are begining to catch up to the Europeans. The sleepers are however much bigger and better equipped some even have those new fangled night heater things but at least fuel is cheap enough to idle

As for wages etc. it depends what you do and who you work for just like the UK .
You will enjoy a slightly better social standing than in the UK.
You will be about the same or slightly better on money and lifestyle.

If you have driven in Europe you will know what to expect as did BTD

BUT IMHO if you have only driven on the M6/ M1 and done no more than 3/4 nights out on the run and have never been weekended think carefully and do a hell of a lot of research first. Take a few trips out there perhaps 1 winter 1 summer to experience the climate.

Call me a sceptic BUT I forsee a lot of magazine stories of failure and financial ruin in the near future from idiots who were ill prepared , poorly researched and watched “Convoy” and thought life was all big rigs, big bucks and 10-4 good buddy.

The life can be good but the graft can be hard and the demands on family and relationships high.

in reply BTD:
Couldn’t have put it better myself. And I was inside a boxvan handballing when it was -55. everything had frozen to the floor and sides.

In truth, I spend up to 2 weeks away and with the laws being different it usually means I can work every day so it doesntseem bad.

so next I:
thanks Bob. It just seemed like somebody had to kill a few myths and tell the real story.

It seems as though a lot of the people who are coming over are doing so in a poorly researched and misguided manner . The likes of you and I who have been o/d’s and done the 6 weeks European (and beyond) thing are a different breed to the “I’ve been UK layby tramping for 4 years” brigade.

It seems that most of them will never have experienced the extremeties of climate or “roads” of North America. Most will have no idea of “how” the truck works , have changed a filter or even a wheel. Nor will they possess the knowledge or experience to recognise a fault starting that could leave you stuck at the side of the road, which in some cases can literally be a life or death thing out there.

You and I are well conversed with the “real” way to drive. Those who barrell down shap riding the brakes I fear are not and may learn the hard way. Have they ever seen a crash box let alone driven one. Yes I know a lot are going auto but far from all and theres nothing like missing a cog on a LONG climb to remind you you aren’t as perfect as you’d like to think

Sure on the days the weather is fine and your logging the miles the job is simply unbeatable BUT it has to be to payback for the days when your tarping in 120 degrees being eaten alive by mozees or in the back of a box handballing at that temp. For the days when you are throwing chains on in minus 40 with a minus 70 wind whipping your ■■■. As with many things it’s swings and roundabouts.

I don’t mean to put a downer on it but a lot of potential emigratees just won’t cut it. Some however WILL make a good crack of it and good luck to them.

The other big problem I forsee is in terms of Spousal and family relationships. It is one thing to leave home on a monday morning and get back friday night/ saturday morning in the country that your wife and family were born in and know. However how is that going to work for 12/ 14 days or maybe more in a “foreign” country. Some will adapt and make freinds but a lot will hate it.

Just MY opinions of course but having “been there an done it” already I feel fairly qualified to offer it…

The thing is I loved my time out there and we still own property and vehicles out there and WILL be heading back for good in a couple of years when the kids have finished there exams…(bloody kids)

However back here we still have a good standard of living and a comfortable life so I have to wonder if those who don’t have will ever achieve it by moving around the world . IMHO it is just as much about personal motivation and having confidence in your abilities and experience…

to which BTD:
I reckon you can tell those that will make it. They ask the questions and accept the answers at face value. They are the ones who can accept the challenges that get thrown at them and face them together. My wife had never driven LHD, and had never driven in snow, etc, but she faced the new things with more aplomb than I thought she would. She even joined the Manitoba Ditch Divers before I did.

An example for you.
One family I know who are coming out are looking at it in a really positive way and really seem to have thought it through. The lady will have to learn to drive here but is happier to do it here than over there. They are ready to change their very lives in order to improve them. They are so damned excited that it is infectious. I am excited for them.

Compare them to a family who moved here the same time as I did. They have done nothing but ■■■■■ and complain since they arrived. They always have some problem kicking around and it is always someone elses fault. He used to drive a cement mixer on locals and came here for OTR. He thought it would be easy to make that change.

Even if the family is used to Dad being away all week then it is different, but if the family are in it together and are ready to work together as a team and prepared for a completely different way of life then they really can make it good for all of them. If they aren’t a team then it will be a shock rather than a surprise.

Some people you can just tell will be fine and better than fine. I think the people on here know they can do it, and will never look back. I believe that those who are not prepared to really dig in and get ready to shovel snow off their doorsteps will never be ready. And when you have shovelled the driveway off at -20 only to come inside to warm up and then see another foot of snow land you do start to question it.

The answer would be to buy a snowblower or pay someone with a snowblower. That means settling in to the area and meet people and get into the way of life.

We did this, which is why my son was able to stay here, why my wife has people call to find out how she is doing, why my driveway was cleared when it snowed. It’s why, when I needed to go to the airport to fly back, a Canadian friend of mine waited for an extra day before setting out so he could take me there. And it’s the reason I survived on the ice roads and so much want to go there next winter. It’s all a question of attitude.

I am glad you plan to come back. You obviously miss it over on this side, even if you are one of those weird southerners.

I HOPE THAT SETTLES A FEW MYTHS ON ALL SIDES

steveo1:
[

You don’t eat garlic, God’s flea powder? :open_mouth:

Can’t get enough of it myself, same with the dogs, and they don’t have fleas anymore and I haven’t been bitten by a vampire. :sunglasses: :laughing:

Spardo:

steveo1:
[

You don’t eat garlic, God’s flea powder? :open_mouth:

Can’t get enough of it myself, same with the dogs, and they don’t have fleas anymore and I haven’t been bitten by a vampire. :sunglasses: :laughing:

Works wonders for keeping the Mozzies at bay too David :wink:

Of course it just depends if your tasty enough to be of interest to any of the above :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Just Fleas mozzies ,and vampires :laughing: . But the stench is still there :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

montana man:
[
Works wonders for keeping the Mozzies at bay too David :wink:

Of course it does, anything that ■■■■■ yer blood, they don’t like it up 'em. There isn’t something you want to confess to us, is there Steveo? :laughing: You haven’t got big protruding teeth have you, and bloodstains down your chin? :laughing:

Of course, stench or scent, it all depends on your outlook. You wouldn’t want my barrel-chested Breton Spaniel, Match, to give forth with one of his deep bass belches near you then. :unamused: Ambrosia for the nostrils. :laughing: :laughing:

I have better things to do then talk about stinking garlic with old age pensioners :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

MR MONTANAMAN: i have never tramped,changed a filter or wheel, never used a crash box but just because of this doesnt mean that i am or would be unable to make it, it just means that i will have to learn the same as yourself.
i am moving to canada as soon as poss(well once i have my 2yrs experience in)and will not be moving back even if it is bread an water and living in the cab as i dont do failure. not having a go at you as you do have good advice but putting that unless it is a case of not done that then you will fail is not fair as it is now next to impossible to get a job running across the water now anyway as they all come this way now. cheers and keep up the good work

daycrawler:
MR MONTANAMAN: i have never tramped,changed a filter or wheel, never used a crash box but just because of this doesnt mean that i am or would be unable to make it, it just means that i will have to learn the same as yourself.
i am moving to canada as soon as poss(well once i have my 2yrs experience in)and will not be moving back even if it is bread an water and living in the cab as i dont do failure. not having a go at you as you do have good advice but putting that unless it is a case of not done that then you will fail is not fair as it is now next to impossible to get a job running across the water now anyway as they all come this way now. cheers and keep up the good work

:open_mouth: WELL errm :laughing: Good for you for having the motivation to improve yourself I say. However it simply isn’t a case of if you haven’t done it you will fail. Seriously I feel for newbies these days because the Euro market is what it is and so they will find it dificult to “DO IT” as you say :wink: If you wanna learn then all power to you fella, I say, and given your obvious determination you should stand a decent chance :smiley:
The sad truth as I said though is that to many people have watched Convoy and Smokey and the bandit to many times and think the jobs a doddle and the bucks are big.
Putting it simply if you are, or aspire to being a DRIVER you’ll do good. If you just wanna DRIVE, you’ll soon be back :wink:
Research and information are the keys to your success, good luck to you :smiley:

Exactly right. And if you don’t do failure then you have no need to worry. I am not being facaetious. The main thing you need here is the will to get it right, to learn the job and to do it.

You can earn good money and work becomes less of a hassle and more of what you expected.

The post to which you responded was in response to some dissenters who were hell bent on stirring. Ian was not referring to people with the stones and calibre to succeed here.

well said btd,
i would not deter anybody from going to canada,i will and do try to explain what the job is in canada but the best way to find out is do it yourself,its a different job over here and a different life,nobody can complain about what the job and life is in canada.ITS CANADA,NOT THE UK OR EUROPE.
i cannot understand what the weather has to do with it,here in canada thats what the weather is,it dont bother anybody,its just part of the life here,the canadians never even mention it.
and as for the garlic,nobody complains to me when i take a couple of cloves in the cafe/resturant and chop it up all over my food.je suis manger beucoup du ail avec tout la nuritement,le ail et formidable avec frommage blanc,cest bon pour la sange et le coeur.

enchante tous le amis.

Can anyone give me the heads up on the way of life over there?
More so, what thing are like rather than how good/ crap the jobs are. We’re looking to up sticks and get out of this rat race and start a new life somewhere for the kids more than ourselves.
We will be moveing on the back of my wifes qualifications, she’s a midwife, dont know how easy it would be to get work in her job but you gotta start your research somewhere. This is where i start mine…

I know its 'TRUCK’net but its also an ex pats forum so apologies for deviating from the ‘TRUCK’ bit and any input would be appreciated to ‘help’ us make our decisions to give out kids a better life, wherever that may be,

vastly exp:
and as for the garlic,nobody complains to me when i take a couple of cloves in the cafe/resturant and chop it up all over my food.je suis manger beucoup du ail avec tout la nuritement,le ail et formidable avec frommage blanc,cest bon pour la sange et le coeur.

Too right about the garlic Vastly, I like to rub a clove through a grater onto my bread, then spread the surface with olive oil instead of butter before putting the ham or whatever in to make a delicious sandwich. Healthy too. :laughing:
Not sure about the fromage blanc though mate, at least not the way the French do it with about half a kilo of sugar :angry: . Not tried it with the garlic though, good idea. :wink:
I have several friends here who visit Canada from time to time, a lot seem to have neighbours over there, Québec naturellement, and have nothing but praise for the place. Also the village after which I took my pseudo, St. Pardoux la Rivière, is twinned with one in Quèbec, I’ll check out the name in case one of you blokes overnight there sometime.
Now I wonder if they do cheap trips - bet they do. :wink: :laughing: