The MIGHTY Volvo F7

Patterson-oud-2.jpg

Woodbrow F7.jpg

This thread will never die!

Article from 1978.

Click on pages twice to read.

Its hard to believe, but very nearly 30 years ago, this humble little workhorse was crowned “Truck of the year 1979”.
With its square angular cab full of big glass panels, it took a bit of getting used to, but like a lot of “new trucks”, the fuss soon died down and it became a typical fleet motor.

I know a few of you have wanted a thread dedicated to the F7, so for Carl and the rest of you here we go… :wink:

Brand new to Syms of Calne. If you look closely you can see the plastic covering the curtains and seat.

Nice example of “out with the old…in with the new”. Photo courtesy of Steve Lynch.

There were many that did International work :blush:

This day cab version, was reported to be doing weekly trips to Germany !

Then there were the UK boys. The F7’s were especially popular on bulk and construction materials work.

And finally, this pristine shiny example on block work :sunglasses: Thanks to Lemonmouth for this one.

What about posting some of your F7’s on here Lemonmouth? Especially that one with funny name in the headboard…you know the one :wink:
Come to that, anyone else got some “nice” F7 piccys?..

I had one of them on a powder tanker in the good old days when I was a boy

Passed my test in a F7.

Doesn’t seem that long ago that these were a common site on the roads.

And didn’t Volvo give away the BHP of the truck,via the badge on the door,ie:F717 (170hp) F725 (250) etc?

Ken.

Quinny:
Doesn’t seem that long ago that these were a common site on the roads.

And didn’t Volvo give away the BHP of the truck,via the badge on the door,ie:F717 (170hp) F725 (250) etc?

Ken.

Your badges denoted the axle config Ken.

The 7, 10 and 12 and 16 denoted the engine size in litres

F717 and F1017 was a 4x2. F725 and F1025 up to F730 were multi axled.

I remember seeing a Swiss F7 with an F12 engine coming off the ferry and tried to get my boss to find one for me, how sad was that

quality i love the old F7 :laughing: i think trevor pye has the best example of a restored one

The father in law drove one for K Transport for years, at the time i was in a rough old B series day cab so was envious at his “luxury” :laughing: I cannot for life of me remember driving an F7, the cracking old F86 like the one below I drove but dont remember an F7!

Nice photo truckerash my F86 was an old piece of scrap but still was great fun to drive!

The F7 was a proper truck, it had a bunk and enough hidden storage space under it to lose stuff. It was a bit lacking on horses though and the first ■■■■■■ on the A66 near the quarry was enough to make you weep :stuck_out_tongue:

Someone will tell me if I`not correct but but as far as I know the letter and numbers on Volvos are as follows F10 10ltr F12 12ltr F16 16ltr the following letters are impoised load ie weight on rear bogie (1017) 17t (1020) 20t (1025) 25t and so on that is why if its a 4 wheeler 6 wheeler or 8 wheeler the letters/numbers thing always works. be it F7 F10 F12 F16 the new ones are 13 ltr think they did not put F13 because some peoples thing about the number 13 am I also right that F is Forward control and N Swedish for nose.LOL. :laughing:

A few more F7s.

Can anyone tell where I got the T B Oliver because I can’t remember.

During my third incarnation at Bulkliner I had dropped down from my F89 at WhiteTrux to an A series day cab (new wife wanted me back home :unamused: ) and was thus made up when the bloke who drove the most pristine F7 in the fleet left for pastures new. The only fault I could find with this much maligned motor was the lack of headroom generally, but particularly over the bunk.

BTW those 8 leggers with sleepers look good, don’t remember seeing all that many, was it just me? :confused:

Do you mean this one Truckerash :wink:

And then there was this one :sunglasses:

After having several F86’s the F7 certainly was a cracking motor, but never did have one with a Sleeper cab :laughing:

lemonmouth:
Do you mean this one Truckerash :wink:

And then there was this one :sunglasses:

After having several F86’s the F7 certainly was a cracking motor, but never did have one with a Sleeper cab :laughing:

I love to see a company with a well thought out name and corporate identity :smiley:

I got one once as a shunter ended up on the road for 2 years never let us down

First time I drove one was with a wide(ish) load, and that was a first for me too. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Brilliant pictures, I love the look of the F7 8 wheeler…that marley one is brilliant…I’ve seen a picture of a foley and miles one some where online, possibly on hanks truck pics, which was smart and taken whilst still working in the late 90’s.

i rememer hercocks had some f7s they also had a six wheeler brand new with a lift up axle one of the first lift ups we had seen in them days, the driver was so proud of it

Stupot:
Passed my test in a F7.

Me too :smiley: :smiley: