The humble Ford D series

Lawrence Dunbar:
0One of Millers of Elsdon, Regards Larry.

Fair ole derv tank on that.Unusual on a tipper. . is it a tipper ?
Did they do distance work?

Suedehead:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Fair ole derv tank on that.Unusual on a tipper.
Did they do distance work?

perhaps this is a haulage chassis ,and the real tippers tank was at the back end of the chassis ! Steve.

You could be right about it being a haulage chassis,it looks a slightly longer W B than the D800 tipper chassis,but it could just be an optical illusion,well it does through the bottom of this glass I’m supping a tot from !! Cheers Bewick.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Has the passenger-side cab floor collapsed ? :blush:
There`s a pair of legs showing . :slight_smile: :confused:

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

cattle wagon man:

Lawrence Dunbar:

It could be a fitter doing some “running” repairs !! There’s some big fine Lasses up that neck of the woods,can turn their hand to 'owt eh ! Dennis.

Bewick:

cattle wagon man:

Lawrence Dunbar:

It could be a fitter doing some “running” repairs !! There’s some big fine Lasses up that neck of the woods,can turn their hand to 'owt eh ! Dennis.

Thanks for that explanation, Dennis. :laughing:
I first thought it was Fords own design of a secondary braking system ` ! :open_mouth:

Hugh Millers motors ranout of Hare cragg Quarry, as well as Tilcons at Ewsley, & Kirkwhelpington, The driver of this Tipper as far as I can remember was called Alan Kenedey from that area, I havent seen him him a long time now, He did in fact come into Ponteland for his meat from the Famous local butchers A Snaith on the main Rd in Ponteland, Which was owned by Tony Kelso , now retired, Now Tony used to supply me with Sirloins that were the best Ive ever tasted Alan Kenedey also said it was the best beef in the localitey, Regards Larry.

First agency job I had was with Stotts builders merchants in Failsworth driving a D seies. Good fun :smiley:

A bit like the Atki- we didn’t know any better!

i see this one still working hard in turkey a few weeks back

roders:
i see this one still working hard in turkey a few weeks back

Good ole tonka,hopefully it had a tag axle :stuck_out_tongue:

About 10 years ago , when on holiday on Malta , I saw an unusual tipper working in a quarry.
I stopped to get a better look , but it disappeared into a “hole” in the quarry face.
I went into the quarry premises , and I asked a workman what it was that Id seen . :confused: :confused: He laughed , then he told me to wait 10 minutes , and Id get the answer. He pointed to an opening in the quarry face ,
and told me to watch what was about to emerge.

After 15 or so minutes , this tipper appeared into daylight !! A " Low-cabbed " Ford D Series. :slight_smile: :unamused:
There was hardly any clearance between the drivers head and the rock ceiling above him. The top of the load had been skimmed-off by the tunnel roof ! The driver was very happy to be photographed sitting in (?) his cab (?) whilst I took some photos of this tipper. When the time came for him to tip, the old Fords engine was struggling to provide the power needed.
With no proper exhaust silencer fitted , it must have made a Hell of a noise inside the tunnel !

I was unable to ask the driver how far underground he travellrd , or as to what he was transporting , because he said the next
load was waiting for him. He , and his Ford , disappeared back into the tunnel … .

I dedicate this photo to 3 fellow TNUK members.

1. Dave the Renegade , as he probably drove Ford D Series tippers , - albeit in better condition. :smiley:
  2. Muckaway , as this is the tipper he SHOULD have driven at Smiths ! :smiley: Summer Cab, eh Nathan. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
  3. Altitude. Don`t follow the Ford , lad . Even though tipper drivers follow like sheep. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :blush:

Cheers, cattle wagon man.

Brilliant photo and story.
Good job the tunnel wasn’t much higher,as i reckon they’d just keep piling it up.

Thanks for the comment, Davnic.

Here is another photograph, taken as the tipper body slowly rose.
I wonder just how much weight the Ford was carrying . :question: :question: :open_mouth:

" OOOOH, LOOK !! " , says the driver . " There`s still the cab tilt release bar behind the seat !!! "

cattle wagon man:
About 10 years ago , when on holiday on Malta , I saw an unusual tipper working in a quarry.
I stopped to get a better look , but it disappeared into a “hole” in the quarry face.
I went into the quarry premises , and I asked a workman what it was that Id seen . :confused: :confused: He laughed , then he told me to wait 10 minutes , and Id get the answer. He pointed to an opening in the quarry face ,

After 15 or so minutes , this tipper appeared into daylight !! A " Low-cabbed " Ford D Series. :slight_smile: :unamused:
There was hardly any clearance between the drivers head and the rock ceiling above him. The top of the load had been skimmed-off by the tunnel roof ! The driver was very happy to be photographed sitting in (?) his cab (?) whilst I took some photos of this tipper. When the time came for him to tip, the old Fords engine was struggling to provide the power needed.
With no proper exhaust silencer fitted , it must have made a Hell of a noise inside the tunnel !

I was unable to ask the driver how far underground he travellrd , or as to what he was transporting , because he said the next
load was waiting for him. He , and his Ford , disappeared back into the tunnel … .

1. Dave the Renegade , as he probably drove Ford D Series tippers , - albeit in better condition. :smiley:
  2. Muckaway , as this is the tipper he SHOULD have driven at Smiths ! :smiley: Summer Cab, eh Nathan. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
  3. Altitude. Don`t follow the Ford , lad . Even though tipper drivers follow like sheep. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :blush:

Interesting story Roy.Thanks for dedicating the photo to me among others.Yes I did drive a Ford D series,a six wheeler for C M Philpotts from Kington out of the Gore quarry,grossing at 20 tons,it carried just over 13 ton payload and had a 5 speed gearbox and a 2 sped axle with a 360 turbo engine.Quite a nice lorry to drive and pulled well considering it only had the same engine as the four wheelers that ran at 16 ton gross.
Cheers Dave.

cattle wagon man:

Looks like an ex cattle truck from ■■■■■■■ :laughing: I drove a 4wheeler, 6wheeler both with 360 turbos in. and a bender with a ■■■■■■■■ in it. Good truck in their day. not much would keep up with them.

My memory of the old ‘D’ series when I learnt to drive HGV’s.

This was with Hills of Swindon back in 1975. My instructor was Jack ‘Brown Boots’ Parker who was a real character. I used to have my lessons weekly as a two hour session.

I was 21 in the January and finally passed in the July after failing once for a pedestrian crossing incident and second test cancelled at test centre due to normal L plate missing although it had the big orange and white sign displayed.

I remember the weird dash mounted parking brake, and also the footbrake, which was totally without any feel, and just looking at it would bring vehicle to an instant abrupt stop.

I can also remember doing some part time work for ‘Lex Carpet Express’ in Cheney Manor, Swindon in the early eighties, also using a D series rigid. Happy Days!

nightmail:

This was with Hills of Swindon back in 1975. My instructor was Jack ‘Brown Boots’ Parker who was a real character. I used to have my lessons weekly as a two hour session.

I was 21 in the January and finally passed in the July after failing once for a pedestrian crossing incident and second test cancelled at test centre due to normal L plate missing although it had the big orange and white sign displayed.

I remember the weird dash mounted parking brake, and also the footbrake, which was totally without any feel, and just looking at it would bring vehicle to an instant abrupt stop.

I can also remember doing some part time work for ‘Lex Carpet Express’ in Cheney Manor, Swindon in the early eighties, also using a D series rigid. Happy Days!

Was Mick Lindsey at Hills when you were there.?

nightmail:

Nightmail ,i took my HGV with hills ,we had one day with john Dunemore and the rest of the week with mick sherman,one the same weeks training was the now TM for edmonts of Swindon Mick Goodall ,i later went on to drive Reivers,KMs scammells and then OD with a bison ,Regards Steve.

my memory of the humble d series was a old w reg 7.5t horse box with a straight six(i think) non turbo engine with a 4 speed box. god it was slow loaded (and unloaded, come to think of it).

t’was dads 1st horsebox when he got into eventing, and it was awful, in every way. brakes where crap, cab rusted so we spent every winter patching the under side of the cab, it drank oil like a fish and the rev limetar had to be turned down every year to get it through its emissions.