The humble Ford D series

I took my HGV1 test in a D Series. I had done a short course with a small independent driving school in Perry Barr, Birmingham. He had two units, the D series and a Bedford and I remember doing most of the training in the Bedford, but as I had long legs and the parking brake in this vehicle was on the steering column, I couldn’t drive it without my right knee knocking the lever towards the ON position. I finished my 5 day course on the D Series and took the test the following week.
1st attempt, the handbrake stuck on at the Test Center. I tried, the Examiner tried and the Instructer tried, but none of us could get it off. Test Abandoned.
2nd attempt, the indicators packed up half way through the test. Test Abandoned.
3rd attempt (bearing in mind that the trailer was a 36ft,single axle trailer with the axle right at the rear), going around a small island in Walsall an old couple in a Triumph 1300 car decided to come around the outside of us, the trailer started getting a bit too close to them and the old chap driving, decided to drive right up onto the island rather than just drop back behind us. The Examiner had seen this and he just said to me “Don’t stop, just drive on”. When we got back to the Test Center, the Examiner said “Althought it was not your fault and you didn’t hit him, I have got to fail you, but ring up for another test and I’ll make sure I take you out next time”.
Luckily for me you had to wait just 3 days between tests in those days (early 70s), so after 4 attempted tests inside 3 weeks, I finally passed.
Total cost of all the tests and 5 days training, £111.00. how long would that have taken and what would it have cost today?.

The revolvling (or revolting) gearstick reminded me of how a coal merchant next door to us in Hyde (Joe Mears) he also owned Onward Pools (a bookies in Hyde) he had a D series 7.5 tonner that needed some minor work.
Previously he had always had Bedford TK’s and couldn’t believe how little space there was to work on the engine and eventually cut a hole in the cab after removing the passenger seat to complete the work (an oil leak I think) he was complaining about this when my dad mentioned that the cab tilts (we had a custom cab 16 tonner) the words that came out then are not repeatable :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

hardyd44:
The revolvling (or revolting) gearstick reminded me of how a coal merchant next door to us in Hyde (Joe Mears) he also owned Onward Pools (a bookies in Hyde) he had a D series 7.5 tonner that needed some minor work.
Previously he had always had Bedford TK’s and couldn’t believe how little space there was to work on the engine and eventually cut a hole in the cab after removing the passenger seat to complete the work (an oil leak I think) he was complaining about this when my dad mentioned that the cab tilts (we had a custom cab 16 tonner) the words that came out then are not repeatable :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I bet :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Who needs Globetrotters/Space-cabs/Toplines etc :sunglasses:

IMG_0006.jpg

adr:

yee a nice one :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ,dheers benkku

Here is a picture of my dads D800, he had it brand new in 1968 and ran it until 1982, it is decorated for the Queens’ Silver Jubilee Parade in our village in 1977. I am still operating out of the same yard to this day and I have a couple of classic lorries, one is a Thames Trader and the other a Commer TS3. Pictures can be seen on my website www.wakefieldsoflongford.co.uk

1970commer:
Here is a picture of my dads D800, he had it brand new in 1968 and ran it until 1982, it is decorated for the Queens’ Silver Jubilee Parade in our village in 1977. I am still operating out of the same yard to this day and I have a couple of classic lorries, one is a Thames Trader and the other a Commer TS3. Pictures can be seen on my website wakefieldsoflongford.co.uk

Touting for trade are we now Rob? :wink: You just want one of those nice fancy tipper’s in the white and yellow livery to top off your fleet! :laughing:

Pete.

windrush:

1970commer:
Here is a picture of my dads D800, he had it brand new in 1968 and ran it until 1982, it is decorated for the Queens’ Silver Jubilee Parade in our village in 1977. I am still operating out of the same yard to this day and I have a couple of classic lorries, one is a Thames Trader and the other a Commer TS3. Pictures can be seen on my website wakefieldsoflongford.co.uk

Touting for trade are we now Rob? :wink: You just want one of those nice fancy tipper’s in the white and yellow livery to top off your fleet! :laughing:

Pete.

Only one person I would want to drive a white and yellow lorry for me pete, what you doing tomorrow?

Shopping tomorrow Rob, now the day after… :laughing: If you see me in one of those then please whack me around the head with piece of 4x2 to try and knock some sense in! :open_mouth: Catch you about somewhere.

Pete.

My boss had decided that he was going to make all us drivers self-employed and he also decided that I would be purchasing his 12.75-ton gross D series. No choice. No argument. Gave it a try for a couple of years,regularly loading the poor little thing with 10+ tons, then he “persuaded” me that I would be better off part exchanging the little flat bed for a more modern 28-ton D series Cusom Cabbed artic, G-reg, V8 Perkins, six-speed box with 2-speed axle, pulling a tandem axle Neville tipping trailer.
Always a sucker (&anything for a quiet life) I took the thing on. I found that, given a wide-open throttle, the Ford would fly, however, it was abysmal on fuel and used almost as much oil as diesel. Probably not helped by me loading the outfit to 30 tons until the Welsh weighbridge attendants realised that I was exaggerating the figures!
After weekly assurances that “You’ve almost paid for the lorry” and “Another month or two & you’ll be in profit”, I gave up my career as a high-flying transport contractor and successfully applied for a job driving for someone else. The words “Never again” were never so appropriate!

adr:

Anyone who’s ever tried to tilt these ‘sleeper’ conversions will no you needed two of ya :smiling_imp:

adr:

that looks a lot better than the jennings sleeper on the erf a series,now they were shoe horn marterial :wink:

Retired Old ■■■■:
My boss had decided that he was going to make all us drivers self-employed and he also decided that I would be purchasing his 12.75-ton gross D series. No choice. No argument. Gave it a try for a couple of years,regularly loading the poor little thing with 10+ tons, then he “persuaded” me that I would be better off part exchanging the little flat bed for a more modern 28-ton D series Cusom Cabbed artic, G-reg, V8 Perkins, six-speed box with 2-speed axle, pulling a tandem axle Neville tipping trailer.
Always a sucker (&anything for a quiet life) I took the thing on. I found that, given a wide-open throttle, the Ford would fly, however, it was abysmal on fuel and used almost as much oil as diesel. Probably not helped by me loading the outfit to 30 tons until the Welsh weighbridge attendants realised that I was exaggerating the figures!
After weekly assurances that “You’ve almost paid for the lorry” and “Another month or two & you’ll be in profit”, I gave up my career as a high-flying transport contractor and successfully applied for a job driving for someone else. The words “Never again” were never so appropriate!

Sounds like you had a very bad experience as a Haulier ROF !! Why did you put up with it for so long,were you a Masochist,or into “self harming” possibly ■■ Cheers Bewick.

Don’t worry rof we have all done it I worked on loads of them at Hiltons and Sampsons but didn’t keep one in my own fleet long.[

Bewick:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Sounds like you had a very bad experience as a Haulier ROF !! Why did you put up with it for so long,were you a Masochist,or into “self harming” possibly ■■ Cheers Bewick.

Withy the benefit of almost 40 years of hindsight, I realise that I should have listened to my own instincts instead of those who pretended to know better. I got where I am today by heeding idiots and twisters. Unfortunately I didn’t recognise either until much later!
Still. I’m not bitter.
Bast*rds!

Anyway, I enjoyed what I was doing most of the time, saw most of Britain and made some good pals. Can’t say I regret it all too much, although I would certainly choose a different path if I had my time over.

[/quote]
Evening all, mrken, I really do like the look of your lorries, very, very smart. Cheerio for now.

The D Series is very late on a Y plate mate,what’s the story there?

I bought it of a bloke who was on contract to Boulton & Paul Jamie he said it was old stock .

One of Millers of Elsdon, Regards Larry.