The humble Ford D series

Ray Smyth Transport Ford D1614, Reg. No. VRE 401X, at the depot in Leeds Street, Wigan, 1987.

brsbedfont:
Hi Pete. Hope you have a lot more of these great photos of the Ford D Series. They are Brilliant. Thank you.

Morning brsbedfont,
I will scan and post some more for you next week, have to use the works scanner! Thanks Pete

Promotor ran a few D Series during the 70’s. In January 1972 John Taylor did a Moscow for the company in a D1000. Unfortunately I have no photos of that vehicle but have attached photos taken from the Promotor thread.

d%20series%20pro.jpg

Scan0021.jpg

Promotor 494.jpg

Promotor 493.jpg

The Ford '‘D’ Series was very popular with tipper operators back in the day.

GS OVERLAND:

fredm:
I did there was a small driving school in leyton cannot recall the name might have been estate driving school or something like that , the instructor was an old rocker DA haircut an all I used to do a 2 hour lesson once or twice a week in the evening that cost £10 per lesson this was 1976 or 77 cant recall, on each lesson we would end up in commercial road and get these seriously spicy kebabs from a pakistani cafe,I did a long day at north weald airstrip to get the reversing right I could not turn my head the next day having spent hours looking rearwards, happy days fredm

I did too. D Series with a 28ft trailer.
I passed my HGV Class1 test in July 1984 just a week after my 21st birthday, the driving school was somewhere off Abbey Road, Stratford next to the British Rail Marshalling Yard. I used to do my lessons after work, I had five, we used to make our way across to Hoxton and practice on the small roundabout on Downham Rd N1. Then I would get a bit of extra time in the yard, getting the reversing down pat.
Passed first time.
A few years before that I used to drive one that was a breakdown truck when I was a fitter at Twyford Commercial on Evelyn Street, Deptford SE8.
GS.

Hello Gav, I did my class one in a D series with a firm in Stratford, they were called Benders, I was 21 on Friday and had a class one the following Thursday, 6am on Friday I had an F10, a 40” flat and a load of gypsum boards to Bognor Regis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my god, a d with what appears to be a solid cab!

ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-d-serie … Sw–xbFol0

moomooland:

I wonder if that line up all had the Perkins V8 fitted? Assuming that is a Mastiff on the end and not a Clydesdale!

Some more body builder pictures of Ford’s,
The first picture is a “crumb trailer” what ever that is?

This Ford D Series D800 artic, Reg No. POU 920G was new to Percy Powell Transport at Horndean, Hampshire.
POU is seen here in the late 1960s, when it was still owned by Percy Powell Transport. Early in 1970, the whole
Percy Powell staff, fleet and depot passed to Robert Baillie & Co Ltd. Ray Smyth.

POU 920G.png

POU 920G passed to Robert Baillie Transport early in 1970, along with the rest of the Percy Powell fleet and depot at Horndean.
It was used on General Haulage and also as a Driver Training lorry. I passed my HGV Class1 test on this machine in October 1970.
I had been driving lorries since 1965, but did not qualify for an HGV Licence by “Grandfather Rights” because I did just short of 2
years driving buses for Ribble Motor Services, around the time of the qualifying period. POU is seen here at Horndean, still in the
livery of Percy Powell Transport. Ray Smyth.

Ford D Series Artic POU 920G, Ex Percy Powell, and now in the “Midnight Blue” of Robert Baillie Transport, Horndean,
Most of Baillies lorries were Atkinson. Ray Smyth.

Scan%2013.jpg

Ford D Series POU 920G is now in the Driving School livery of white. I believe that Mappo, a.k.a. Tony Mapson passed
his HGV Class 1 in this lorry. Ray Smyth.

POU 920G Trainer.jpg

Ford D Series Tanker-001.jpg

Come on you lads.They were a good starter’s motors who probably now most of you are running Scanias etc.Re payload at that time the rule of law said you can carry up to 14t provideded it was safe and who the ■■■■ would not do that.I went on a course once and a very good chap Charles Hanson from Ford said that many operators complained about the brakes and he said tell me somebody who didn’t overload them. When your Biro pen runs out get another!!!

Tony

rastone:
Come on you lads.They were a good starter’s motors who probably now most of you are running Scanias etc.Re payload at that time the rule of law said you can carry up to 14t provideded it was safe and who the [zb] would not do that.I went on a course once and a very good chap Charles Hanson from Ford said that many operators complained about the brakes and he said tell me somebody who didn’t overload them. When your Biro pen runs out get another!!!

Tony

Sorry big ■■■■ up as usual.Should have gone on the Trader site

Tony