The end is nigh

once i retire i intend to spend a grand on an old shunter that still looks ok and park it in the garden.
every working day irrespective of when i awaken,il get up,put the kettle on,go outside while the kettle is boiling,and lob a brick at the truck,then get my coffee and go back to bed…complete retirement satisfaction. :slight_smile:

DD999 I seem to remember you putting that in a post once before made me smile then and again today.

Spardo i remember reading your website a few months ago and some more today I think it is a brilliant thing to do and I’ve enjoyed reading about it. Keep up the good work.

As most of us old jockeys know the job is knackered today what with unsocial hours, vosa on your case, medical expenses, bloody cpc, idiot drivers, traffic congestion, motorway closures, poor management, surrender your keys while unloading rubbish, treated like a second class citizen, poor driver facility’s especially at RDCs the list goes on and on and they wonder why youngsters today don’t want to come into the game.

Had 18 months off with throat cancer it’s been like a taste of retirement and have not missed the job one bit after 40 years on the road.

Now (thanks to Equitable Life pension robbery) got to do five more years and, i know i am wishing my life away, i cant wait to retire. :smiley:

Much has been said on here about being retired,but in reality there are many who are scared of retiring simply because they have no idea how to fill that gap of 60+ hours a week of going to work.When I retired there was about six of us around the retirement age at the same time,out of the six only three were retiring full stop.The others had varied reasons for staying on from, we need a new kitchen, which changed to, my Sons getting married,then it was my shares are due next year, I will pack up when my wife retires in four years time,and what would I do apart from going to the pub.
Giving the fact that for many, during the week consists of work and bed,up at silly o`clock to be in for 4ish am, work til 4 or 6 pm bed at 8-9 pm to be up again next day.
no late night TV etc its a fair chunk of time to fill
For me its now up at around 7 ish instead of 2.45, 4 hours extra in bed ,now its cuppa breakfast paper, shave shower at around 9ish and then generally doing the what was not possible whilst at work.

knight2:
DD999 I seem to remember you putting that in a post once before made me smile then and again today.

Spardo i remember reading your website a few months ago and some more today I think it is a brilliant thing to do and I’ve enjoyed reading about it. Keep up the good work.

Thanks mate, glad you like it, but I am at least a year behind with it, maybe have another go soon as this is the slack time of year for that work because, quite rightly, people are unwilling to take on a new dog (or cat) just before dumping them in a kennels and going on holiday. :slight_smile:

Must admit though that I am appreciating the time at home, perhaps I am at last losing the wanderlust. Last week I set off for Marseille to bring a Dobermann back, but it was cancelled before I had gone 20 kms because the owner had decided to keep him. Strangely, apart from missing out on a nice meal in the Oases at Bellegarde, just south of Nimes, I wasn’t too disappointed to be coming back home again. :astonished:

I WILL find something to fill my time. The first thing I’m going to do is pack up mrs jbaz and head to Los Angeles, hire a bike and tour across the country. We have wanted to do that for years and have been saving for it.

As for when I get back? Hobbies hobbies hobbies

if I reached the age of retirement and still wanted to drive and earn pocket money it would be a little van job,local area,doing car/truck parts deliveries,finishing early afternoon,perfect.

normal older truckie life.
out as a kid with dad and get hooked on tar.
start on vans or on the grass.
get your class 1
go tramping to saudi
go tramping in europe
go onto days or nights
go part time shunting or rdc work
fail your mot and retire
talk pish on trucknet and die within 6 months
thats how it works for some i would think. :slight_smile:

Not retired, but moved to the other side of the desk now, and do you know what? I don’t miss it a bit, even after 2 weeks.

Did the same thing many years ago, but missed the driving, so soon went back, and this time I feel nothing like I did then.

Regular and less hours, more money, and a gaffer that has the same hobby as myself, so at the moment everything seems good.

Got my medical at 55 next year, as well as 3 CPC modules to do, and will probably renew them, but at the moment I am happy to be a TM.

Ken.

no1dieselman:
I retired a couple of years ago then did my LGV as it was something I always wanted to do. I now work one or two days a week or none if I dont fancy it. The driver shortage is a boon for supplementing your pension

There is no driver shortage.

Retirement is unhealthy for men
Renewing your licence will only cost about £100 for a medical (which you can reclaim from HMRC) which will give you a chance to grill your GP and air any little worries.If the predictions of the experts are correct, there will be an enormous shortage of drivers after brexit which will inflate wages. Signing on with an agency to do one shift a month will keep brain and body active.

eagerbeaver:

no1dieselman:
I retired a couple of years ago then did my LGV as it was something I always wanted to do. I now work one or two days a week or none if I dont fancy it. The driver shortage is a boon for supplementing your pension

I strongly disagree. I can work one day or 20 days a month at various local companies and am chased by agencies everyday. If there isn’t a driver shortage why am I in such demand?

no1dieselman:

eagerbeaver:

no1dieselman:

If there isn’t a driver shortage why am I in such demand?

Cos the work (read also care commitment reliability dependability) ethic has by-passed too many of the younger generation of staff, not all though and good reliable capable younger drivers have never been more in demand and will reap the benefits for years to come IMO.
It’s bloody hard going finding and nurturing the best on.
On the other hand it’s never been as good for older drivers with long proven histories and good reputations.

Optimum:
Renewing your licence will only cost about £100 for a medical (which you can reclaim from HMRC) which will give you a chance to grill your GP and air any little worries.If the predictions of the experts are correct, there will be an enormous shortage of drivers after brexit which will inflate wages. Signing on with an agency to do one shift a month will keep brain and body active.

How do you claim it?

knight2:
As from the twelfth of august I shall no longer have a heavy goods entitlement on my licence.

Glorious [emoji23]

Optimum:

Not everybody wants to keep working after 50 years of being at work.
Maybe you have no other interests to keep you active,or your not old enough to retire and are talking out your arris
Enjoy retirement it only lasts a short time compared with working, being dead lasts even longer.
Why pay for a medical when you can make an appointment with your Doctor and ask the same health questions for NOTHING