The best British built long haul truck ever?

Saviem:
Evening Gentlemen, well what a potential can of worms this thread could open up!

… DOES ANYONE DISAGREE??

Morning all, apologies, pressed the wrong key, (silly old b…) I`m not shouting!

Cheerio for now.

Saviem:

Saviem:
Evening Gentlemen, well what a potential can of worms this thread could open up!

… DOES ANYONE DISAGREE??

Cheerio for now.

Yes I do ERF B series, possibly the worst truck I’ve ever had the displeasure to drive , both with a 180 and 240 gardner.
For me it would be Atkinson Borderer 250 ■■■■■■■ fuller box, then has time progressed Seddon Atkinson 401 290E ■■■■■■■ and finally although I never had the pleasure to drive one ERF EC 525 ■■■■■■■ 13 speed if they did one.

Dieseldog66:

Saviem:

Saviem:

… DOES ANYONE DISAGREE??

Cheerio for now.

Yes I do ERF B series, possibly the worst truck I’ve ever had the displeasure to drive , both with a 180 and 240 gardner.
For me it would be Atkinson Borderer 250 ■■■■■■■ fuller box, then has time progressed Seddon Atkinson 401 290E ■■■■■■■ and finally although I never had the pleasure to drive one ERF EC 525 ■■■■■■■ 13 speed if they did one.

Hiya…ERF with a 500 and 13 speed yes Hodnet transport had 2 but not sure about EC’s possibly E series

Best British built lorry?, the Volvo F12 Globetrotter built in Irvine.

NB12:
Best British built lorry?, the Volvo F12 Globetrotter built in Irvine.

Was the F12 ever built in Irvine?? I know RHD FL10 models were built there although originally it was the 8x4 Volvo F86 and the Ailsa bus chassis that was built there.

Think they built everything bar F16s.

We always had a British built truck in the yard. They definitely earned us a few bob.

The best in my humble opinion:

(3) The Transcontinental…Definitely ahead of its time…pity it was killed off prematurely…a few teething trouble perhaps, but nothing that could not be handled by a good operator

(2) Seddon Atkinson Strato E465 with the Twin Splitter…a good truck that needed a a tad more development, but a nice drive drive nonetheless.

(1) The ERF ECX Olympic. I have driven a few ECX’s over the last two years and I am really impressed by them. They drive nice, I like the cab and the ■■■■■■■ engine is a joy. A very under rated truck. A great pity it was killed off. I would seriously consider buying one if they were still around

Dieseldog66:

Saviem:

Saviem:

… DOES ANYONE DISAGREE??

Cheerio for now.

EC was offered with N14 500 celect from 93’ until 96’, ■■■■■■■ then bought out the 525 and the ERF could be had with this engine. Never had the pleasure of either, but have heard they are meant to be a nice engine to drive. People dont always realise that later ECs could be had with a 550 Cat or Detroit 60 series 500 for a time, dont know why ERF didnt push these engines more as ive read these are cracking engines.

Chris.

Having mulled over the question for a couple of days I have come to the conclusion that their cannot be a definitive answer because of the variables I previously listed and the development, or lack of development, over the years. Wearing two hats as someone with both driving and operating experience I would offer these opinions from the 1950s to the 1980s, the latter date being the time when British truck building ceased to all intents and purposes. My listings are the maximum weight lorries of the time

1950s: Driver’s Viewpoint, AEC Mammoth Major Mk.111, then Mk.V, or Leyland Octopus (The AEC shades it for me, and definitely the Mk.V)
Owner or Operator’s Viewpoint, anything with a Gardner 6LX150 engine, or the above two (not much to choose between these options)

1960s: Driver’s Viewpoint, Leyland ‘Two-Pedal’ Beaver or AEC Mandator V8. Both were streets ahead of the opposition for driver appeal.
Owner or Operator’s Viewpoint, anything with a Gardner 6LXB180 engine

1970s: Driver’s Viewpoint, Seddon Atkinson 400 or Leyland Marathon Mark 2 TL12 engine. (A veritable flying machine but allow for its brakes)
Owner or Operator’s Viewpoint, Seddon Atkinson or ERF B Series with Gardner 8LXB240 engine

1980s: Driver’s Viewpoint, Leyland Roadtrain T45 or ERF E Series
Owner or Operator’ s Viewpoint: Both of the above but by then patriotism was being tested to the limit!!! :exclamation: :exclamation:

STRAIGHT EIGHT:

Dieseldog66:

Saviem:

Saviem:

… DOES ANYONE DISAGREE??

Cheerio for now.

EC was offered with N14 500 celect from 93’ until 96’, ■■■■■■■ then bought out the 525 and the ERF could be had with this engine. Never had the pleasure of either, but have heard they are meant to be a nice engine to drive. People dont always realise that later ECs could be had with a 550 Cat or Detroit 60 series 500 for a time, dont know why ERF didnt push these engines more as ive read these are cracking engines.

Chris.

Scouring the internet for evidence that any 550 Cat-engined ERFs actually hit the road at all, I found this:
hankstruckpictures.com/rwd_nz_misc.htm
A ■■■■■■■ 15 litre 565 — engined ERF in NZ. Is this the most powerful British-built lorry ever (not counting “specials”)?

In answer to the question, I suppose it must be the one that went the furthest.

youtube.com/watch?v=77CB1y4ojX4

There were quite a few EC15 550 Cat about k p Iddon from leyland had one which could be the same one that millers recovery now have ,also there was a white one doing scrap up to Sheffield which was sold by Aquilla trucks ,I would think that the ■■■■■■■ signature used in NZ could have been fitted by the operator?

Dan Punchard:
There were quite a few EC15 550 Cat about k p Iddon from leyland had one which could be the same one that millers recovery now have ,also there was a white one doing scrap up to Sheffield which was sold by Aquilla trucks ,I would think that the ■■■■■■■ signature used in NZ could have been fitted by the operator?

I remember an o/d having a black EC with the 550 CAT, sadly this was written off after a prang.
Some export EC’s were fitted with the Signiture, as ERF added this engine soon after launch in export chassis, and all the development work for the planned fitment to the ECX was done with EC’s, including a 93 plate EC14.
The Export EC’s fitted with the Siginture have a slighty raised cab with an extra little infil above the bumper, think this was due to the extra cooling needed around the engine.

chris.

STRAIGHT EIGHT:

Dan Punchard:

I remember an o/d having a black EC with the 550 CAT, sadly this was written off after a prang.
Some export EC’s were fitted with the Signiture, as ERF added this engine soon after launch in export chassis, and all the development work for the planned fitment to the ECX was done with EC’s, including a 93 plate EC14.
The Export EC’s fitted with the Siginture have a slighty raised cab with an extra little infil above the bumper, think this was due to the extra cooling needed around the engine.

chris.

Here’s one for sale, in SA:
capetown.olx.co.za/erf-ec15-isx- … -527297102

Yep, well maintained Sed Ack 401, ■■■■■■■ 14 litre, Eaton Fuller, Rockwell, still rate that as the best working lorry i’ve ever had, pulled like a train good on fuel, could do a serious days work, Jacob brake meant the brakes were only needed for emergency or coming to final rest.

I had a 3 month old (slightly doctored with bigger injectors by Vee and Inlines) ex demo twin steer issued to me in 1984 and ran that for 3 years without a single hiccup (apart from 2 micro switches for the Jake), cruise at 70 all day long @ 1100rpm at a full 38t and return 7 to 7.5mpg consistently, gave it an economy test run one night lightly loaded @ 50/55mph, returned 12 mpg…no thats not wishful thinking or lies, and i’ve really had a genuine 15mpg out of a 420 Scania artic more recently similarly lightly loaded but kept under 50mph and driven in manual override…so shocked i actually took a pic of the dash readout, sad i know.

As said above, i wish i could have that good old ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ combo in my present steed, nothing romped away or was up to cruise so quickly as that ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ why i’d like to long term test a Hino for its ‘‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’’ old school design.

[zb]
anorak:

STRAIGHT EIGHT:

Dan Punchard:

chris.

Here’s one for sale, in SA:
capetown.olx.co.za/erf-ec15-isx- … -527297102

Nice one anorak, i remember seeing one just like this (same spec) at Truckfest one year, the 1st to be built. they were showing it on their stand prior it being exported to SA.
Chris.

STRAIGHT EIGHT:
Nice one anorak, i remember seeing one just like this (same spec) at Truckfest one year, the 1st to be built. they were showing it on their stand prior it being exported to SA.
Chris.

Did they ever build any with the 600 or 620bhp Signature engine?

Why was the 15 litre ■■■■■■■ not sold in the UK? IIRC, Euro 2 was the emissions standard when the 14 litre 525 was the top dog, so the unreasonably strict Euro 3 must have been just round the corner. Did ■■■■■■■ decide that Europe, and its silly leglislation, was just too much bother?

Whatever- any 15 litre ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ ERF must surely be a contender for the title of this thread, and it was not sold in Britain! (Pedants might point out that the SA and NZ ERFs were assembled locally from kits, but the things were designed in GB and all the major bits apart from the oily stuff was made by ERF).

Juddian:
Yep, well maintained Sed Ack 401, ■■■■■■■ 14 litre, Eaton Fuller, Rockwell, still rate that as the best working lorry i’ve ever had, pulled like a train good on fuel, could do a serious days work, Jacob brake meant the brakes were only needed for emergency or coming to final rest.

I had a 3 month old (slightly doctored with bigger injectors by Vee and Inlines) ex demo twin steer issued to me in 1984 and ran that for 3 years without a single hiccup (apart from 2 micro switches for the Jake), cruise at 70 all day long @ 1100rpm at a full 38t and return 7 to 7.5mpg consistently, gave it an economy test run one night lightly loaded @ 50/55mph, returned 12 mpg…no thats not wishful thinking or lies, and i’ve really had a genuine 15mpg out of a 420 Scania artic more recently similarly lightly loaded but kept under 50mph and driven in manual override…so shocked i actually took a pic of the dash readout, sad i know.

As said above, i wish i could have that good old ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ combo in my present steed, nothing romped away or was up to cruise so quickly as that ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ why i’d like to long term test a Hino for its ‘‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’’ old school design.

And the Seddon Atkinson 401 had a fairly nice interior, had a nice quality feel to it

sed ak interior.jpg

[zb]
anorak:

STRAIGHT EIGHT:
Chris.

Why was the 15 litre ■■■■■■■ not sold in the UK? IIRC, Euro 2 was the emissions standard when the 14 litre 525 was the top dog, so the unreasonably strict Euro 3 must have been just round the corner. Did ■■■■■■■ decide that Europe, and its silly leglislation, was just too much bother?

Whatever- any 15 litre ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ ERF must surely be a contender for the title of this thread, and it was not sold in Britain! (Pedants might point out that the SA and NZ ERFs were assembled locally from kits, but the things were designed in GB and all the major bits apart from the oily stuff was made by ERF).

Hello Anorak, ERF were due to fit the 15 litre Signature in the newly launched ECX, having done all testing and engineering work on on older chassis’. The ECX was designed form the onset to be fitted with the 15 litre ■■■■■■■■ but the MAN takover put an end to that (@%$!!!**@), but allowed it in export chassis’. The ECX was going to cover a much broader part of the ERF range, there were going to be both high and low datum versions of the cab, for longhaul right down to midweight distribution. Once MAN were in charge, they ruled out the low-datum range in favour of their outgoing F2000 cab for the distribution and middle distance motor’s.
Its no secret that the ECX interiors were of poor quality compered to the EC, the reason for this is that MAN wanted to launch the ECS/ECX way ahead of the original launch date, so they ended up being rushed into production before they were ready. The dashboard design used would not have of gone into the production trucks, and plastics and trim used would have been of a much better quality. It’s a great shame the ECX was never allowed to be the truck it was meant to be :frowning: :unamused:
Chris.

[zb]
anorak:

STRAIGHT EIGHT:
Chris.