The Big A (A proper wagon!)

killsville:
Here is one I resized!

This Atkinson is still working every day. Powered by a 14 litre ■■■■■■■ 320 engine and having the benefit of no speed limiter, it is probably one of the fastest lorries on the road :open_mouth:

Ked 505P This was my motor when I worked for Northwest Freighters, Haydock in the early 80s. It was two axle then with a 14 ltr 250 naturely aspirated ■■■■■■■ and could do 70mph+ no problems.

Viking:

killsville:
Here is one I resized!Ked 505P This was my motor when I worked for Northwest Freighters, Haydock in the early 80s. It was two axle then with a 14 ltr 250 naturely aspirated ■■■■■■■ and could do 70mph+ no problems.

Changed a bit, hasn’t it??!!

Can’t believe this post has been revived after 6 months away!

Time to put some more Atki pictures up me thinks!

killsville:
Can’t believe this post has been revived after 6 months away!

Time to put some more Atki pictures up me thinks!

Can’t kepp Atkis out of the limelight, can you?? :laughing:

I got a Corgi model of a Borderer yesterday.

British Rail with 2 Axle flatbed and cable drum load.

Andyroo:

But a real one is so much more fun!!

240 Gardner:

Andyroo:

But a real one is so much more fun!!

I wish I could have a real one, but they are so much more than £20!

Andyroo:

Yeah! £20 doesn’t even wet the bottom of the fuel tank these days!

killsville:

Andyroo:

Yeah! £20 doesn’t even wet the bottom of the fuel tank these days!

And then that dries out a ■■■■ sight faster than a Gardner!!

Ok. I promised some more pictures.

Notice the fridge in the winscreen - all the modern luxuries in 240’s own motor!

All mod cons - it’s an Atkitrotter! It’s off for test again in the next 2 or 3 weeks, btw

That huddlestons 6 wheeler motor would do for me, has it got the ten speed roadranger in? I only drove one borderer with the 250 Cu in & it was mated to the roadranger, all others were gardner. Fast yes, when it got going, the hills on the M1 were interesting, as was the heads of the valley! :laughing:

I seem to recall it had a 13-Speed Roadranger Mal.

I could of course be wrong. Good to see you on here again - what do you think of the pictures??

Mal:
That huddlestons 6 wheeler motor would do for me, has it got the ten speed roadranger in? I only drove one borderer with the 250 Cu in & it was mated to the roadranger, all others were gardner. Fast yes, when it got going, the hills on the M1 were interesting, as was the heads of the valley! :laughing:

I’m sure Marky’s right and that this particular motor has a 13-speed box.

Normally a Borderer with a 12 litre ■■■■■■■ (205/220) would have the “lightweight” 10-speed Fuller (RTO-610) and the 14 litre (250) would have the “big” Fulller, the 9-speed RTO-9509A.

Lots of 220s were built with the David Brown 6-speed, which I think has a slightly higher overdrive than the Fuller and is thus even faster, but this is pretty dire off the motorways because it’s a wide ratio gearbox and peak torque is at 1500rpm. Gardners come in at 1000 rpm, but pretty constant throughout the rev range.

It had the Fuller 9 speed when I had it.

I always thought it had a Twin Splitter in it but I will stand to be corrected.

Terry Godbold’s has the 13 speed Fuller in it for definate.

240 Gardner:
Normally a Borderer with a 12 litre ■■■■■■■ (205/220) would have the “lightweight” 10-speed Fuller (RTO-610)…

Lightweight :confused: Have you tried lifting one recently? It took four of us to lift one the other week and we still struggled!

killsville:
I always thought it had a Twin Splitter in it but I will stand to be corrected.

Terry Godbold’s has the 13 speed Fuller in it for definate.

It may well have a twin splitter in now but in 1982/3 when I had it, it was definitely a 9 speed Fuller range change.

You know what ladsI reckon youre right, mine wasnt an 8 speed, so it did have a 13 speed in it, but it was a long time ago, LOL! I know it had the chrome knob. The Gardner powered ones, (150, 180,) had DB boxes the 150 inc a 2 speed back end. and I seem to remember a ride out to load a trailer in a P reg one time when My unit was off the road that had a 240 Garnder with an 8 speed fuller, (u can call them 9 with crawler)■■?

I actually prefferred the 240 Gardner over the 250 Cu, and I had that engine in my SA 400 when I got that, it was a top dog engine!

Malc.

PS, The pictures are outstanding by the way Marky!

Mal:
You know what ladsI reckon youre right, mine wasnt an 8 speed, so it did have a 13 speed in it, but it was a long time ago, LOL! I know it had the chrome knob. The Gardner powered ones, (150, 180,) had DB boxes the 150 inc a 2 speed back end. and I seem to remember a ride out to load a trailer in a P reg one time when My unit was off the road that had a 240 Garnder with an 8 speed fuller, (u can call them 9 with crawler)■■?

I actually prefferred the 240 Gardner over the 250 Cu, and I had that engine in my SA 400 when I got that, it was a top dog engine!

Malc.

PS, The pictures are outstanding by the way Marky!

yep, officially a 9-speed, which is 8 plus crawler - using the crawler position in high range is rather frowned upon! The only Atkis factory fitted with 13-speed boxes would have been some later Venturers (double-drive tractors) with high power outputs (290/335 ■■■■■■■■ and, probably, the higher plated weights (60/75 tons)