Best truck ever!

Volvo f88 290 6X2 Lift up back axle or Scania 140 6x4 or DAF 310DKS or is it the modest F88 240 ultra reliable work horse, certainly nothing British! or am I wrong? Borderer maybe? mmm no way!

transportphotos.com/road/photo/VS00523

John McVey:
f88 290 6X2 Lift up back axle or 140 6x4 or DAF 310DKS or is it the modest F88 240 ultra reliable work horse, certainly nothing British! or am I wrong?

Certainly nothing British unless the Bedford TM 4400 with an 8V92 Detroit in it could be classed as more British than yank.Other than that something like this.

truckpaper.com/images/Truck/ … 026423.jpg

Good for you Carryfast, I have to admire your loyalty to your product

It’s a case of horses for courses. It depends what kind of work the wagon is meant for - that big shiny Kenworth would be as much good delivering to the mills around Dewsbury as a Scammell Scarab doing the Middle East run. What pleases the driver probably wouldn’t do much to make the transport manager or the accountant happy. Even if you’re judging on looks alone, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it’s good that we’re not all the same.

fodenway:
It’s a case of horses for courses. It depends what kind of work the wagon is meant for - that big shiny Kenworth would be as much good delivering to the mills around Dewsbury as a Scammell Scarab doing the Middle East run. What pleases the driver probably wouldn’t do much to make the transport manager or the accountant happy. Even if you’re judging on looks alone, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it’s good that we’re not all the same.

Your definitely right there f/way about beauty being in the eye of the beholder !! If the Bedford TM was a bird she would be a "slapper " so what does that tell you about the bold Carryfast ? I rest my case ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

fodenway:

Your definitely right there f/way about beauty being in the eye of the beholder !! If the Bedford TM was a bird she would be a "slapper " so what does that tell you about the bold Carryfast ? I rest my case ! Cheers Bewick.

-In that case, I might have to side with Carryfast on that one, I thought that the TM was a stylish looking motor in it’s time, and sounded well too with a Detroit in. The silver TM concept truck that Bedford took round the shows in the late 70’s was well ahead of it’s time, style-wise. Of course, that’s not to say that they were GOOD trucks…

I would say the first Volvo F88s as this was the lorry which changed the way that drivers and hauliers looked at products on offer in the 1960s and though it did result in the demise of the British vehicle manufacturers they can only blame them selves for not being competitive and developing a product of equal or superior build to match the competition from abroad.
cheers Johnnie

sadly the british lorry makers went the same way as the motorbike industry and now I don`t think we make anything in this country except those brave boys in the middle east 3 cheers to them

There was a very interesting period in the early 1980’s that will never ever be repeated.
The basic offerings from the big four manufacturers went like this…

1628 Merc…280 downhill hp.
2800 Daf…280 hp
F12 Volvo which in basic non special order RHD 305 hp…
And then there was this…

I am biased…very biased.

Bewick:

fodenway:

You’re almost right there Bewick.It was a bit like an Essex girl.Looks great and go’s like a train. :smiley: :laughing: :laughing:

fodenway:

It also depends on the type of work which the driver wants.So on the basis of horses for courses if it’s long distance work as it was in the 1980’s (no limiters and the 60 mph motorway limit treated as a guideline running at 38 tonnes) the TM with the 8V92 option was as good as it gets including that V8 Scania.

nothing wrong with an essex girl I married one

ubym344:

Who would’nt if only there were enough of 'em.That’s why I said that Bewick was almost right. :laughing: :laughing:

Carryfast:

ubym344:

Who would’nt if only there were enough of 'em.That’s why I said that Bewick was almost right. :laughing: :laughing:

Hiya Carryfast “me old mucker” Trucks ,Essex Girls , Bedford DDs it’s what I would call "a full house "please form an orderly queue out side the pox doctors office !! I rest my case !!! On a more sensible note it appears that you and I have been comming in for more than our fair share of “Wellie” lately ( I don’t understand why !) as neither of us can be described as " nuckle dragging Neanderthals !! can we ? At least we can string together a number of intelligable sentences and we have at least livened things up somewhat but I suppose you can’t please all the lads all the time !! Keep your elbows in Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

Carryfast:

ubym344:

Hiya Carryfast “me old mucker” Trucks ,Essex Girls , Bedford DDs it’s what I would call "a full house "please form an orderly queue out side the pox doctors office !! I rest my case !!! On a more sensible note it appears that you and I have been comming in for more than our fair share of “Wellie” lately ( I don’t understand why !) as neither of us can be described as " nuckle dragging Neanderthals !! can we ? At least we can string together a number of intelligable sentences and we have at least livened things up somewhat but I suppose you can’t please all the lads all the time !! Keep your elbows in Cheers Bewick.

Only one m in coming!

John McVey:

Bewick:

Carryfast:

ubym344:

Only one m in coming!

Previous post refers !!

If we’re talking about the best truck ever then it has to be one of the current top of the range Volvo, Scania, Daf, MAN, Merc, IVECO, they’ve evolved over the years to make them better in every respect than their predecessors. If we’re talking about lorries that changed things then we can start with the 1st diesel engined lorries, depending on the era the answers will all be different, but everyone has their particular favourites, mine is a Peterbilt 379 with 60 series Detroit Diesel @ 500hp, to drive & live in it’s far superior to any of the Europeans, they last well over a million miles before any thing other than routine maintenance & they look good too, all things to all men :wink:

newmercman:
If we’re talking about the best truck ever then it has to be one of the current top of the range Volvo, Scania, Daf, MAN, Merc, IVECO, they’ve evolved over the years to make them better in every respect than their predecessors. If we’re talking about lorries that changed things then we can start with the 1st diesel engined lorries, depending on the era the answers will all be different, but everyone has their particular favourites, mine is a Peterbilt 379 with 60 series Detroit Diesel @ 500hp, to drive & live in it’s far superior to any of the Europeans, they last well over a million miles before any thing other than routine maintenance & they look good too, all things to all men :wink:

Hiya three pointed star !! Not wishing to set Carryfast off !!!I understand what you are saying about the US trucks but they operate in totally differen’t conditions than European trucks !! The most consistently reliable motors we ran were those that were double shifted and were never cold between Sunday and Saturday (3000 miles plus ) I would suggest that if the American trucks were subjected to the day to day stop start of the UK/European operation there might be a differen’t view taken!!This is just my considered opinion and there to be shot down .Cheers Bewick.

Hi newmercman, I hear what you are saying about the lorries of the modern era and yes I agree that they are far superior in every way to those I mention but surely these belong to this time and in 10 or 20 years will be looked upon as inferior to those of that day, no my question is “BEST TRUCK EVER” which for us can only mean to date, I’m struggling to put in to words what I mean but it’s about which truck stood out as being an icon maybe, or one that will be remembered, I mean forever maybe! for instance will any of the current trucks however good they are be remembered fondly in 30 years time, keep in mind this is only a discussion and I invite opinion and expansion, I realise that this is a subjective topic

Cheers for now

John

John McVey:
Hi newmercman, I hear what you are saying about the lorries of the modern era and yes I agree that they are far superior in every way to those I mention but surely these belong to this time and in 10 or 20 years will be looked upon as inferior to those of that day, no my question is “BEST TRUCK EVER” which for us can only mean to date, I’m struggling to put in to words what I mean but it’s about which truck stood out as being an icon maybe, or one that will be remembered, for instance will any of the current trucks however good they are be remembered fondly in 30 years time, keep in mind this is only a discussion and I invite opinion

Cheers for now

John

John don’t be apologetic “get stuck in” what you need is Carryfast on the case and he will put the thread in the picture as to what the best truck is !! He may be 100% wrong but he will stick to his gun’s even in the face of superior fire power !!! Cheers Bewick.