Pictures or info on Atkinson Borderer

OK this is my first post!

I’m looking for any information or photos about Atkinson Borderer reg no EFD 840K which was new to Midland Earthmoving Co. of Dudley, West Mids.

Any info greatly appreciated!!!

Hi killsville.
I just might be able to help you out here mate.

I used to work for T.D.R. Transport on low loaders. One of the customers was ,yes, Midland Earthmoving.
I have phoned my mate Pete, aka ‘Mud Rat’ on TruckNet, and he says he will try to find out what he can.
The fitter there has been around for a few years, and as Pete still moves their machines from time to time, he will see what he can do.

Watch this space !

Cheers,

Niall.

Not quite the one you are looking for:

Thanks Niall!

Just to let you know that EFD is still running. The cab is ready to be rebuilt as most of the timbers are past their best but the engine is absolutely perfect and starts first time every time. (These modern Volvos and Scanias are no match for the old ■■■■■■■ engine!)

I do have one photo whilst it was owned by Midland Earthmoving. It is a picture of just the tractor unit which appears to be in their yard. My mate found the photo at a vintage rally.

Thanks for your help.

Glad I joined Trucknet now!!!

Welcome you to TruckNetUK Killsville… :wink: :wink:

Enjoy yout stay and dont let this be the only thing you post on mate… lets see ya posting in some others too…

Welcome again…

I’ll be interested to see what info comes up. I remember the firm, grey motors, and I seem to remember they ran some Dseries 6 legger tippers with super singles on the drive axles.

Thats the firm Mal.
They used to run their own transport ,but now only have machines.
I used to move their tracked Cat loading shovels, their tracked 360 machines, and the 6 wheel drive artic dump trucks.

They are now mostly involved in demolition,and used to build flood defences on various rivers.

p.s killsville - no news yet.

Cheers,

Niall.

Hi killsville- Pete (Mud Rat ) has just phoned me.
He has spoken to Brian the fitter ( now retired ) and he remembered the Atki straight away.

Apparently, Midland Earth sold the unit to a scrap dealer in Birmingham who carried on using it.
He cannot remember if it had a 220 or 240 engine fitted, but says it was a large engine at the time.

Pete says he will ask Brian if any pictures are hidden away, and will try and catch hold of the company accountant who may know when the Atki was sold, for how much and to who.

We’re getting warmer mate, watch this space.
( Pete says he will post when he can - he’s living in a Scania at th moment ! )

Cheers,

Niall.

Thanks for your efforts Niall!

The engine is actually a 205 ■■■■■■■ I beleive, but I will stand being corrected.

The only reason for believing this is that it is stated in one of the old service books. I think the only difference between the 205 and the 220 is in the fuel pump. The pump on the 205 must be a good one because it starts better than any of the 220’s I know of.

Drop me your e-mail address to: andy.kelly@blueyonder.co.uk and I’ll send you a few recent pictures.

Cheers

Andy