THAMES TRADERS

The ERF artic on the M74 looks likeone of Saddlers Transport from Edinburgh a nice maroon and grey livery well lettered.
Cheers, Leyland 600

DEANB:
Thames Trader.

Click on pages twice to read.

Thank you Dean ! what a great article about my favourite lightweight motor of all time ! Now that Grants motor in BEWICK livery would have done me a treat as a 20 year old O/D Luverly Jubberly ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
“DEANB” Thames Trader.

Thank you Dean ! what a great article about my favourite lightweight motor of all time ! Now that Grants motor in BEWICK livery would have done me a treat as a 20 year old O/D Luverly Jubberly ! Cheers Dennis.

Glad you liked that article Dennis. :wink:

Click on pages twice to read.

thames trader b.jpg

thames trader b1.jpg

thames trader b2.jpg

thames trader b3.jpg

thames trader b4.jpg

thames trader b5.jpg

thames trader b6.jpg

thames trader b7.jpg

thames trader b8.jpg

thames trader b9.jpg

thames trader b10.jpg

thames trader b11.jpg

thames trader b12.jpg

Thanks for the additional Trader info Dean, very interesting reading ! Regards Dennis.

One of my late Uncles Traders, Regards Larry.

Couple of Traders, second one Dutch registered

has anyone on this site ever driven a six wheel thames trader ? there were a few around when I was a kid but they never seemed to last long

robinswh:
has anyone on this site ever driven a six wheel thames trader ? there were a few around when I was a kid but they never seemed to last long

Yes but not on a regular basis in haulage as I used to sell 'm but a good cheap 6 wheeler.There were factory conversions i.e.County and A.W.D. Henry Boyes did 6x2 and were very well thought of which ever the vehicle they converted was but stopped doing them as Peter Shilton of Boyes told me they didn’t sell enough spares so they went into chassis conversions and always got it right.Primrose did a conversion with Albion axles.One of my customers at Dalbury Lees nr Derby was involved with Crossfields ( I think it was ) Charlie Hart who was a very careful driver and he was stopped in Hull ( i think it was) for going too slow.They did “sledge” ssometimes if you turned left or right on a bit of a slope but they were quite a decent motor.

Tony

rastone:

robinswh:

Yes but not on a regular basis in haulage as I used to sell 'm but a good cheap 6 wheeler.There were factory conversions i.e.County and A.W.D. Henry Boyes did 6x2 and were very well thought of which ever the vehicle they converted was but stopped doing them as Peter Shilton of Boyes told me they didn’t sell enough spares so they went into chassis conversions and always got it right.Primrose did a conversion with Albion axles.One of my customers at Dalbury Lees nr Derby was involved with Crossfields ( I think it was ) Charlie Hart who was a very careful driver and he was stopped in Hull ( i think it was) for going too slow.They did “sledge” ssometimes if you turned left or right on a bit of a slope but they were quite a decent motor.

Tony

Six whlrs would do anything bar turn! The balancing act between front grip n being able to steer was an art, didn’t necessarily comply with axle loadings. Of course mostly tipper boys were able to adjust. As we all know lose the back end n you could mostly sort, lose the front end n you’re in the lap of the gods . You can never have too much rubber under the cab!!

rastone:

robinswh:

Tony

You aint lost it at all Tony, I’ve heard that story more than once about Charlie Hart, one of his former drivers lived opposite me until just recently & has now moved to Hulland Ward, as we all know that’s Gavin Salt country.

Tarmac both scunthorpe and corby had a lot of six wheeler thames traders I dont know which conversion company was used …cliff hill had a a few 4 wheelers in the late 1950 s supplied by the ford garage in coalville The ncb had a large number on residential coal delivers. The only 6 wheeler I remember in my area was a couple of tippers on coal owned by lauds of moira.

1970commer:

rastone:

robinswh:

Tony

You aint lost it at all Tony, I’ve heard that story more than once about Charlie Hart, one of his former drivers lived opposite me until just recently & has now moved to Hulland Ward, as we all know that’s Gavin Salt country.

Thought you might join in this Rob.I don’t think you went to Lupin did you ? More commercials and in a better place instead of stuck in the top corner of the field,all lined up down to the Motor bikes.

Tony

Not sure if we have had a snowplough on here yet Tyneside

Thames trader snow plough1.jpg

robinswh:

Hi this takes me back a few years ,I had to deliver an AWD Trader to Farnham in Surrey and the truck was fitted with a David Brown five speed crash gearbox ,a new experience for a nipper .Best regards Partsman

tyneside:
Not sure if we have had a snowplough on here yet Tyneside

Hiya,
This looks very much like Hurbuck Cottages Delves Lane Consett.

Hi boys, I posted a few articles about my Dad’s involvement with Traders in Australia many years ago. Some might even remember me. After many years of ignoring an inner yearning my nephew stumbled across a Thames Trader 50 that we couldn’t go past. It has lived it’s entire life in western NSW Australia doing farm work mainly and for that reason it has no rust and looks pretty straight. Out Moree way is very flat, no traffic, stops signs or people basically. Perfect country for an old campaigner that might have lost a bit of power compared to today’s monoliths. But I’m trying to get a bit of advice on what we’ve purchased. The truck is a rigid, has had the chassis extended at some time after being used as a prime mover. It is fitted with a 6 cylinder diesel, but what surprises me is the 5 speed gearbox and 2 speed diff. Was that normal? I would have thought the 75, which we ran interstate here in Oz had that set up. We ran 900x20 tyres, this has 825x20 fitted on 8 stud wheels. Anyway, have a look and tell me what have we got. I would think that the year of manufacture would be at least mid 60’s going on it’s a Mark 2, it doesn’t have 6D badges on the lower guards but a simple Ford badge, perhaps one of the last before the D Models started.[album] If you want more photos to better establish the model I can send what you want to look at. The model code on the Ford Australia Identification Plate is 82522 and TBRDC is the Serial Prefix if that helps. We have bought it with the intention of restoring it for Historical or Club plate registration which is a restricted registration, but 5% of full rego. Any help appreciated. Tunnels

I can recall seeing a price list at the Commercial motor show when Traders were current. I remember that the list of options was quite long (including cab paint in quite a few colours, Red, dark green, dark blue, bright yellow and more) and that 5 speed boxes and 2 speed axles were options. As were shock absorbers and heaters in some cases! Tyre sizes too. But the exact details are long gone from my memory. I think what you have got there will be a nice little truck.

[attachment=1]LH cab from rear.jpg[ It has tidied up quite well with cut cut and polish for a start and I reckon it’s been years since its had even a wash. Mud wasp nests share the cab with you and they are going first. At present the task list starts with brakes and bearings. It starts first go, and no smoke. I’m going to have to get used to the steering though. I presently drive a Mack Superliner and I’m out of practice for sure, you can get spoilt. The Thames with no power steering, even empty, is a beast to turn. Maybe it will improve with a bit of grease into the king pins and some use.