THAMES TRADERS

moomooland:

Kingston upon Hull Corporation Transport

DEANB:
Looks like Paul took these at The Dorset Steam Fair.

Wow that is a beauty.

moomooland:

Looks like “ace” is stuck ! Cheers Bewick.

John Heaton of Manchester

Stanfield:
This looks like an old registation number from the Oldham area :unamused: any one know?I know I have put this on earlier but only just spotted the reg (dont know how I missed it)0

I`ve just stripped this truck down, to start a restoration.

Does any one know of any thames trader rear tipper brackets for sale, the type that fit to the rear spring hanger brackets.

Thames Trader reg 414BBU.JPG Oldham (B) area registration Jan - May 1962. Franky.

I wonder where that pic was taken? We used to service/repair Berkshire’s LD ambulances where I worked.

Pete.

windrush:
I wonder where that pic was taken? We used to service/repair Berkshire’s LD ambulances where I worked Pete.

I believe it was taken somewhere on the A4.

moomooland:

windrush:
I wonder where that pic was taken? We used to service/repair Berkshire’s LD ambulances where I worked Pete.

Cheers, possibly either a Newbury or Maidenhead based ambulance then.

Pete.

windrush:

moomooland:

windrush:

Cheers, possibly either a Newbury or Maidenhead based ambulance then.

Pete.

Pete not really a reply to this subject but I’m sure you remember W.H.Phillips having some Traders.I was invovled a bit in these but they bought nine from Kays.In 1959 I arranged for them to have a demonstrator for a while and it must have done fairley well and gave them a reason to buy them.But after the demo they bought these from Kays which ■■■■■■ me off a bit but at that time I went and did my National Service on Airecraft construction branch which involved all the civil engineering jobs.I was aTractor operator mechanic on.D 8. Dozers which were cast offs from the Groundnut Scheme ( better than a house job or medic )and we at The Universal Car Company in Derby ( later T.C.Harrison’s) Didn’t follow the job up.When I came out ( the airforce ) they seemed to be just relying on Kay’s selling the lorries but in the meantime T.C.H. took over.I went to see Phillips and talked to Clarence and he showed me a ruck of Trader engines piled up in a shed.I think I’ve mentioned this before I remember Percy their service chap changing timing gears on Whetmore Road in Burton. They were of course easy to work on which in those days was a good thing.I got in touch with Ford and they presented them with a few quide and after that the motorss were improved.
Their is no doubt as with other manufactures the last of the production models are always the bes

Tony

Before my time Tony, Phillips just had Atkinson and Leylands when I arrived in 1975. Only Traders I ever worked on (apart from the K Series) were Union Cartages and that was just servicing, I had to grease the propshafts for our ‘lubrication bay attendant’ as he was too short assed to reach them! Trader chassis were a lot higher that the BMC’s we worked on! Ballidon had a load of Traders brand new but that was long before I started there. :laughing:

Pete.

Hi Tony.
I remember the WHP Traders,just. Seem to think they were all threequarter wheelbase models and had some rare looking bodies on. Cannot remember a red and black one though,that does not mean there was’nt any, grey and black comes to mind. Again pics. in short supply. As I am sure you know they always had about half a dozen old tippers internal at Middle Peak that Percy use to look after. Here is a pic.,from a Derbyshire Stone Brochure when the new tarmac plant had just gone in and I am sure thats a Phillips Trader. I know I’m pittling in the wind but it keeps me occupied. Mike :slight_smile:

Thames Traders-001.jpg

thelongdrag:
Hi Tony.
I remember the WHP Traders,just. Seem to think they were all threequarter wheelbase models and had some rare looking bodies on. Cannot remember a red and black one though,that does not mean there was’nt any, grey and black comes to mind. Again pics. in short supply. As I am sure you know they always had about half a dozen old tippers internal at Middle Peak that Percy use to look after. Here is a pic.,from a Derbyshire Stone Brochure when the new tarmac plant had just gone in and I am sure thats a Phillips Trader. I know I’m pittling in the wind but it keeps me occupied. Mike :slight_smile:

As far I can remember the Traders they had were the 108 inch wheelbase Tippers ex factory with Edbro gears and bodies.Anthony Hoist was offered with an underfloor tipper but the Edbro one seemed to be the one There also a 134inch wheelbase model which was only avalable as a chashiss cab.
I know I’m a bit of a Ford supporter but a lot of companies and Owner operators did alright with these Traders.When they did have a problem not long off the road.I know Steve in Spain remember these.

Tony

pp o`connors

20180225_121500.jpg

Thames-Trader-truck.jpg