TARTAN ARROW

Well SB 139 theres a blast from the past, good old Tartan Arrow.
Don,t really know much about the company but yes they used to run Leyland Beaver units. In the 60’s there were two of these based in Southampton and
were driven by two then well known brothers,Brian and Barry Peters. It only seems like yesterday flashing my lights and waving to them when passing them on the road.
I did actually bump into Brian Peters in France in the 70’s when he was driving for I believe Solent Transport (Owned by Jack Fecitt ■■?). Brian had hit a bridge parapet somewhere near St. Etienne, with his front trailer axle. It was a spread axle tandem and was running out of line to the tune of about 4 feet and taking up 1 &1/2 lanes of the motorway. Anyway we chained the axle up and got it running straight so’s he could get safely home. Oh happy days, what??

Good morning TIR original, Thanks for that info, In fact i do remember there was a Tartan Arrow container dropped in Plessy near Fareham on A27 about 20 yrs ago, Could still be there in fact, Aint been that way since M27 opened. Maybe that was something to do with the brothers Peters.

Regards Kev

Another name from the past, Tartan Arrow. They also did full loads in those containers. A lot of work out of Goodyear Tyres factory at Garscadden.
They could have taught Freightliners a few tricks!
I pass their old yard in Dalmarnock Rd regular. It’s been derelict since the demise of Tartan Arrow.
I remember Ritchies well, another name lost in the mists of time.
Alex

I remember when I used to do a lot of London deliveries, mid to late ‘50s, they were running 8 leg Scammell vans which must have been 13’6" to 14’ high. Huge great parcel vans - they had several. I’m sure I have a picture somewhere.

Alex… Thanks for that Alex, Good to know someone remembers AA Ritchie from Glasgow, My Grandfather was the transport manager there… Wished i had taken Photos back then of their trucks and Tartan Arrow… Hope someone has some to post on here… Thanks Mate

Regards Kev

Just found this Tartan Arrow thread,
My mate is the son of one of the founders of Tartan Arrow & is trying to research them & is collecting pictures.
He recently sent some to Classic & Vintage Commercials and they are in the latest issue on page 27

here a photo of a tartan arrow dodge i have SB139

regards

mark

scan0002.jpg

Hi Marcus - that was quick,
many thanks - I will let him have it - he will be chuffed

ST

no problem toddy

hope he likes it

mark

i remember in the seventies they lost a full load of whisky near tower bridge and the police found the wagon empty on the north circular 90 minutes later now thats what i call handballing

Worked for Tartan Arrow Kentish Town depot twice 1967 and 1968. Had a great job first time round doing parcel deliveries ‘out of area’ meaning London mainly deliveries around East Sussex 2/3 nights out a week but got the sack for having a ‘dodgy’ n/out. Went back in '68 but job was never the same. Anyway fond memories from this time.