Tartan arrow rk neil

HI ANTBODY KNOW ABOUT TARTANARROW IN TH 60S AS MY DAD DROVE FOR THEM IN CIMPOSING HIS HISTORY OR ABOUR RKNEIL BASED IN MALDON IN 70S UNTIL 90S DOINGSCANDANAVIAN WORK CHEERS STEVE

There was a TV programme about lorries running up and down the A1 in the 60’s that featured Tartan Arrow. Worth a Google? My father scoffed at it - I think it was presented a bit like the Stobart programme and over the top about mundane everyday occurances. I will have a go at digging it up.
Good luck and welcome to the site. Jim.

stevetwigg:
HI ANTBODY KNOW ABOUT TARTANARROW IN TH 60S AS MY DAD DROVE FOR THEM IN CIMPOSING HIS HISTORY OR ABOUR RKNEIL BASED IN MALDON IN 70S UNTIL 90S DOINGSCANDANAVIAN WORK CHEERS STEVE

There is a Tartan Arrow thread on here somewhere,
One of the Directors was Joe Winfield, He was originally the workshop manager,
His son is a good friend of mine, and he has been researching then & collecting stuff Tartan Arrow related

ok thanks for that ill look in to it cheers steve

stevetwigg:
ok thanks for that ill look in to it cheers steve

TARTAN ARROW Attachment(s)
by SB139 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:25 pm in OLD TIME LORRIES, COMPANIES AND DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE)

stevetwigg:

Hi Steve. I knew Tartan Arrow in the 60,s as they had a depot in my home town or rather city of Southampton. As far as I remember they only had 2 permanent lorries in the So,ton depot which were I believe Leyland Comets with ergomatic cabs. They were both driven by two well known brothers, Brian and Barry Peters. These brothers were experienced drivers with good reputations and I know that they would not have worked for any fly-by-night or unreputable companies. Apart from this I knew nothing of the company or it’s history but the motors always looked immaculate even back then. Regards, Nobby.

stevetwigg:

Hi Stevetwigg,
I remember RK Niel I think the boss was Bob Niel, he used to be our transport manager when we worked for a firm called SWORDA from Halsted in Essex, we used to run to all Scandinavian countries with mostly repro furniture, I was there in the 70s, they went broke and Bob Niel bought a couple of the trucks and continued the business from his smallholding near tiptree outside Maldon before he got a warehouse to run it from Maldon, saw him a few times and if my memory serves me right his daughter used to drive one of the trucks, what’s your dads name I might remember him

hi yeah i remembersworda my dad worked for them to his name was john branch chers stevetwigg

stevetwigg:
hi yeah i remembersworda my dad worked for them to his name was john branch chers stevetwigg

Yes stevetwigg
Do remember the name, big jovial guy if that’s him if memory serves well he had gingery hair, ask him about Stockholm and George Hensher place we used to deliver to then stay at his place and go to the British pub called the Tudor arms, also the Copenhagen trade fare when about 8 trucks went over to it there about 3 nights all had a great time.

stevetwigg:

If you look in the book"BRS Parcels services and the express carriers" by Mustoe,Ingram&Pearson.there are a few different references to Tartan Arrow incl.some very good pictures of an early Scammell 8 and a refurbished reliance coach chassis fitted with a box van body.It does give some early info and further pictures of the rail depot at Kentish town and some other vehicles.Hope this might help.
regards Chris