tanker companies

Reet Chris lad, I am off to bed now but I think that I have got an old Hanson tanker photo somewhere that my mate John Harrison sent me, I shall dig it out tomorrow.
A road train up to Seal Sands :unamused: thou would ave a bit of fun at The Dishforth Roundabout :laughing: .
Here another one of Johns old motors.
G/neet Chris :slight_smile: .

Cheers Wheel Nut loads of happy memories driving was a great job then pre taco,s & ministry men.Any body got any photo.s old Esso tankers. Thanks Jim.

Thanks Chris for super photo,s. Jim

Hi Chris, I knew that I had one somewhere although I am fairly certain that this one wasn’t on the Nitro Benzene contract.

This one might of been though :smiley: , John spotted this old Hanson motor while he was holiday in Malta a couple of years ago.

This is the one that I meant to put on last night.

Regards Steve.

Chris Webb:

mushroomman:

coca cola kid:
See the biggest truck in the world its a tanker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxidLqkubVc

Hi C.C.Kid, I have been going through some old photos and I found a couple that I took In the Northern Territory a few years back. I don’t know why but I think that the driver might of been trained by Chris Webb :wink: as he appeared to be on a Dodgy. I just hope that he doesn’t try Chris’s swop the trailer plate trick and his boss spots the wagon.

Regards Steve.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Hi Steve,I’ve parked bigger things than that up in lay-bys on the A38 :grimacing: .
Seriously,nice photo but how do they tip all the tanks if the customer hasn’t a pump and it’s not a gravity drop? Does the driver uncouple and run down the outfit using his pump/blower to discharge the trailers?
Sorry to be a pest but I need to know in case we have wagons like that in t ’ Isle of Man and they need a drawbar driver to operate it :laughing: .
Also does the Aussie driver get extra money for kicking the tyres afore he sets off and if so who changes the wheel if there’s a flat 'cos I could do it and pocket the call-out fee.

Chris all petrol delivery s had to be gravity drops by law or they did in the dark ages when I was doing them (as a very young lad) can you recall they used to shut the fore courts when a delivery was being made and put no smoking signs up even then LOL :laughing:

sammyopisite:

Chris Webb:

mushroomman:

coca cola kid:
See the biggest truck in the world its a tanker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxidLqkubVc

Hi C.C.Kid, I have been going through some old photos and I found a couple that I took In the Northern Territory a few years back. I don’t know why but I think that the driver might of been trained by Chris Webb :wink: as he appeared to be on a Dodgy. I just hope that he doesn’t try Chris’s swop the trailer plate trick and his boss spots the wagon.

Regards Steve.

Hi Steve,I’ve parked bigger things than that up in lay-bys on the A38 :grimacing: .
Seriously,nice photo but how do they tip all the tanks if the customer hasn’t a pump and it’s not a gravity drop? Does the driver uncouple and run down the outfit using his pump/blower to discharge the trailers?
Sorry to be a pest but I need to know in case we have wagons like that in t ’ Isle of Man and they need a drawbar driver to operate it :laughing: .
Also does the Aussie driver get extra money for kicking the tyres afore he sets off and if so who changes the wheel if there’s a flat 'cos I could do it and pocket the call-out fee.

Chris all petrol delivery s had to be gravity drops by law or they did in the dark ages when I was doing them (as a very young lad) can you recall they used to shut the fore courts when a delivery was being made and put no smoking signs up even then LOL :laughing:

They still close the forecourts in the IOM Johnny during a delivery.I remember some petroleum products you weren’t allowed to pump like petrol,benzene and toluene - of course we never did :unamused: but you could pump diesel,xylene,white spirit etc,all to do with flash points IIRC.One drop we had when on Bloomers was at Corby and if you didn’t pump toluene you didn’t get rid - maybe the law altered between 1979 and 94.also in 1979 the max amount of petroleum product you could carry in one pot was 1100 gall/5000 litres but in 1994 you could carry as much as you could get on in one pot.You also had to display a small label that said “petroleum spirit,highly inflammable” either side of the tank in t’olden days.

And Steve,nice photos.Nitro benzene wouldn’t be carried in the one on the back of E470,the tanks were more like spirit tanks like the Maltese one I’m sure.
Where was the Distillers photo taken,I forgot they ran in that livery before they went green and white.
Going back to E470 JCX ERF - that reg seems so familiar,I wonder if George Bloomer bought it off Hansons,a lot of his wagons came from that area.I must try and find out.

You can’t park that Hanson tanker there chum.Shift it… OOPS sorry old habit’s die hard. I used to operate the Benzene/ N/B bays at Huddersfield. .:laughing: :laughing:
And no I’m not Herr Flick.

The Yorkshireman:

You can’t park that Hanson tanker there chum.Shift it… OOPS sorry old habit’s die hard. I used to operate the Benzene/ N/B bays at Huddersfield. .:laughing: :laughing:
And no I’m not Herr Flick.

I used to bring benzene in from Staveley and Llanwern when I worked for this bloke.

And when I worked for this lot in the 70s.

I remember Herr Flick :laughing:

:smiley: I think every driver to visit the N/B bays remembers Herr Flick. When he went on holiday to Greece I found an old Photo of some German SS officers in WW2 one was posing with his hands sideways onto his waist and one foot up on part of the ruins of the Parthenon. I labelled it as one of Flicks holiday snaps, and said he was flying back the following Friday, we were looking for volunteers to fly the Spitfires out to welcome him home. :smiley: I remember the Tanker coming in but sorry can’t remember the driver, you must have been one of the well behaved sensible ones.

Chris, I’ve just thought, your not the guy who hurt his foot are you?

The Yorkshireman:
Chris, I’ve just thought, your not the guy who hurt his foot are you?

No Yman,I never hurt my foot anywhere in or around Huddersfield :laughing: .First time I went in N/B plant with benzene was 1970 with a MK3 AEC and you earthed up,waited while the operator started the pump,gave him a sample and away it went,swapping pipes from one compt to the other.When I went in again in 1994 all I was allowed to do was open a valve to the tank so a nitrogen blanket went in as as I was tipping,everything else was done by the plant man and of course all the tackle had to be worn.George Bloomer had a “B” reg 3-axled Foden unit and it was spare motor,due for retirement.It had a really bad oil leak and it was barred from Leeds Road for dropping oil in the bays. :laughing: You weren’t allowed to vent your tank on the premises when tipped so the fresh Pennine air used to get it,somewhere round Penistone.
Well behaved and sensible,that’s me.Did you get some that weren’t? :laughing:

We used to tip nitric acid on the ind estate by LPG in batley,next to the A62.We were told to vent through the storage tank,(“just let it blow,driver”).Nitric fumes across the main road ,up in the atmosphere,aircraft rivets corroding as they flew over!!!What was the firm called,any idea,Chris?

welshphil:
We used to tip nitric acid on the ind estate by LPG in batley,next to the A62.We were told to vent through the storage tank,(“just let it blow,driver”).Nitric fumes across the main road ,up in the atmosphere,aircraft rivets corroding as they flew over!!!What was the firm called,any idea,Chris?

Sorry Phil,I know where LPG was but don’t know the firm where you vented :laughing:
How many times have I heard the words “Lerrit go drive,bags of room” and it’s come over the top.H and S,what H and S :smiley:

Chris Webb:

welshphil:

Sorry Phil,I know where LPG was but don’t know the firm where you vented :laughing:
How many times have I heard the words “Lerrit go drive,bags of room” and it’s come over the top.H and S,what H and S :smiley:

That would probably have been the company on the corner of the estate as you turned in, opposite the Pheasant pub, loads of IBC and drums and not a lot of that H&S Chris.

Double barreled name iirc

Wheel Nut:

Chris Webb:

welshphil:

That would probably have been the company on the corner of the estate as you turned in, opposite the Pheasant pub, loads of IBC and drums and not a lot of that H&S Chris.

could be Tenants by any chance

the flying foden:

Wheel Nut:

Chris Webb:

welshphil:

could be Tenants by any chance

I think it was, for some reason I could only think of Reddish Savilles

How about Lynch in Northwich,you don,t see many of them now,are they still operating?

Rgds,

David

Peter Lynch Tankers are still operating although Peter passed away somtime last year.They operate from the Sandbach area nowadays Peter bought the P&O yard around 2003,I must say that he has one of the best kept tanker fleets you will see around these parts which was a credit to the man himself and his drivers.

Guy called Lodge Mooney left Smith of Maddiston,Manchester and set up his own tanker company in the mid 80’s any one remember him?

Take it easy

David :unamused: