tanker companies

A few more that might be of intrest

Not sure about the Air/brake lines to the Bulwark trailer, any ideas on the date ?

Managed to get some more scanned - hope they are of intrest

Hi wirralpete,
One from your neck of the woods, taken in Chieveley Services,A34 Newbury mid 90s.

Some old tanker liveries

My trucks first day. June 1981

Hi Numbum, nice shots, be nice to see more of the same
Where were the photos taken ?

Hi Sniffy
The photos were taken at the depot I used to work from which was the Jet depot at Hallen near Avonmouth. I will look out some more to put on.

Regards Phil. 44 years on tankers what is a rope.

A couple more old tanker photos.

Excellent pic’s numbum :smiley:

Of all my photos this is my most treasured one, me aged about 8 on my Dads old Highwayman. The old man did 23 years on Mobil, his last job before he retired.

Found this photo,it was taken at Castle Douglas on a road run.

SORRY WRONG PHOTO.

A couple from my Watson days @ Brize Norton Depot. Great job in the summer, bit of a pig in the winter, if you got soaked at your first drop you were wet all day, in & out the cab. The cab ended up like a Chinese laundry, you would just get warmed up a bit & get the windows de-misted & you were at your next drop so time to start again! Say what you like about the old Leylands but they were a good old tool for that job, they took some punishment on & off farms/building sites etc but always came back for more,& very rarely broke!

See the biggest truck in the world its a tanker

Liquid Nitrogen taken when 1 week old, been double-shifted since day 1. DAF just been scrapped but tank been re-furbished & mounted on her replacement which is a Scania. Other picture clearly shows what goes on in the back cabinet.

Hi lads very new to Trucknet & have been looking through lots of old threads.Was very interested in the chat relating to Townsons Tankers and maybe I can fill some bits in for you Chris Webb & Wheel Nut particularly. I drove for Esso at Dingle terminal in 60/70s before they moved to Mode Wheel.Townsons used to contract to Esso coming in from Oldham doing a local load and taking a load back to their area to deliver going home, it was Black oil normaly. I think Townsons was run by Mrs Townson and son Rodger,the boss mechanic was a chap called Bernie I think.Iam really driving in the mist of time now.When it was decided to up the weight from 24 tons to 32 (i think for a short while it was 30) Esso leased a couple of vehicles from Townsons and I was given the 1st one which was a Guy Invincible this wagon was one of the first to have a ■■■■■■■ engine fitted and as no agents had been appointed we had to go to Blackwood Hodge were the ■■■■■■■ fitter stayed in a caravan to look after any
problems.It had a 4500 gall 3 pot tank which again had a new pumping system,artic tankers as we know were either compressors or cargo pump on the unit and suction pipe,this had rear mounted pump hydraulic operated from the unit i was told it was a sort of proto type fitted by Drum Pump for Rodger any way it would shift 4500 galls in 20 mins all later tankers we got at Esso rear pumps were standard fitted. Townsons yard was at Mumps in Oldham and the wagon was red cab silver tank with Esso sign on back.when most wagons of the day would do 45ish this would skip along at 60 .We used to go to the ship yard at Barrow on nights and one night in Forton services on of Coopers of Wolverhampton drivers they had mainly Guys camelooking for the Esso driver of the Guy to ask what was under the bonnet by todays standards it was small a ■■■■■■■ 180 if I remember rightly & a David Brown gearbox.It was a great wagon to drive but some drivers didnt like the small wheel base which caused it to bounce a bit.After a couple of years Townsons replaced it with an AEC Mandator again we used it on the black oil job .Rodger Townson was a great lad with us at Esso we looked after his gear and he looked after us .Back to old firms what about Cawoods Fodens used to run into Fords AT Halewood with black oil.Hope it might be a bit of info regarding the interest in Townsons. Cheers Jim

coca cola kid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxidLqkubVc

Hi C.C.Kid, I have been going through some old photos and I found a couple that I took In the Northern Territory a few years back. I don’t know why but I think that the driver might of been trained by Chris Webb :wink: as he appeared to be on a Dodgy. I just hope that he doesn’t try Chris’s swop the trailer plate trick and his boss spots the wagon.

Regards Steve.

jim d:
Hi lads very new to Trucknet & have been looking through lots of old threads.Was very interested in the chat relating to Townsons Tankers and maybe I can fill some bits in for you Chris Webb & Wheel Nut particularly. I drove for Esso at Dingle terminal in 60/70s before they moved to Mode Wheel.Townsons used to contract to Esso coming in from Oldham doing a local load and taking a load back to their area to deliver going home, it was Black oil normaly. I think Townsons was run by Mrs Townson and son Rodger,the boss mechanic was a chap called Bernie I think.Iam really driving in the mist of time now.When it was decided to up the weight from 24 tons to 32 (i think for a short while it was 30) Esso leased a couple of vehicles from Townsons and I was given the 1st one which was a Guy Invincible this wagon was one of the first to have a ■■■■■■■ engine fitted and as no agents had been appointed we had to go to Blackwood Hodge were the ■■■■■■■ fitter stayed in a caravan to look after any
problems.It had a 4500 gall 3 pot tank which again had a new pumping system,artic tankers as we know were either compressors or cargo pump on the unit and suction pipe,this had rear mounted pump hydraulic operated from the unit i was told it was a sort of proto type fitted by Drum Pump for Rodger any way it would shift 4500 galls in 20 mins all later tankers we got at Esso rear pumps were standard fitted. Townsons yard was at Mumps in Oldham and the wagon was red cab silver tank with Esso sign on back.when most wagons of the day would do 45ish this would skip along at 60 .We used to go to the ship yard at Barrow on nights and one night in Forton services on of Coopers of Wolverhampton drivers they had mainly Guys camelooking for the Esso driver of the Guy to ask what was under the bonnet by todays standards it was small a ■■■■■■■ 180 if I remember rightly & a David Brown gearbox.It was a great wagon to drive but some drivers didnt like the small wheel base which caused it to bounce a bit.After a couple of years Townsons replaced it with an AEC Mandator again we used it on the black oil job .Rodger Townson was a great lad with us at Esso we looked after his gear and he looked after us .Back to old firms what about Cawoods Fodens used to run into Fords AT Halewood with black oil.Hope it might be a bit of info regarding the interest in Townsons. Cheers Jim

Thanks Jim. It was nice to read this, as I felt exactly the same about the man, he was a great boss and I learned an awful lot from him. He was also my mate after work.

mushroomman:

coca cola kid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxidLqkubVc

Hi C.C.Kid, I have been going through some old photos and I found a couple that I took In the Northern Territory a few years back. I don’t know why but I think that the driver might of been trained by Chris Webb :wink: as he appeared to be on a Dodgy. I just hope that he doesn’t try Chris’s swop the trailer plate trick and his boss spots the wagon.

Regards Steve.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Hi Steve,I’ve parked bigger things than that up in lay-bys on the A38 :grimacing: .
Seriously,nice photo but how do they tip all the tanks if the customer hasn’t a pump and it’s not a gravity drop? Does the driver uncouple and run down the outfit using his pump/blower to discharge the trailers?
Sorry to be a pest but I need to know in case we have wagons like that in t ’ Isle of Man and they need a drawbar driver to operate it :laughing: .
Also does the Aussie driver get extra money for kicking the tyres afore he sets off and if so who changes the wheel if there’s a flat 'cos I could do it and pocket the call-out fee.

Hi Chris, this B.P. tanker was doing a gravity drop when I pulled in for diesel in Kununurra, Western Australia. This road should be all tarred by now, not like when SPARDO was driving along here in the early sixties with his cattle train for Noel Buntine. The rivers have all been bridged so I didn’t have to worry about the crocs like he did and of course I had the air conditioning :smiley: .
I don’t know about the extra money for kicking the tyres but rumour has it that when you get issued with a pair of safety boots you get one left boot and two right ones :laughing: .
B.T.W. the reason that they don’t send them over to the Isle Of Man is could you imagine the convoy of ■■■■■ Ford Transits following it around :laughing: , I heard that they were also tax exiles :laughing: .

Best regards Steve.

mushroomman:
Hi Chris, this B.P. tanker was doing a gravity drop when I pulled in for diesel in Kununurra, Western Australia. This road should be all tarred by now, not like when SPARDO was driving along here in the early sixties with his cattle train for Noel Buntine. The rivers have all been bridged so I didn’t have to worry about the crocs like he did and of course I had the air conditioning :smiley: .
I don’t know about the extra money for kicking the tyres but rumour has it that when you get issued with a pair of safety boots you get one left boot and two right ones :laughing: .
B.T.W. the reason that they don’t send them over to the Isle Of Man is could you imagine the convoy of ■■■■■ Ford Transits following it around :laughing: , I heard that they were also tax exiles :laughing: .

Best regards Steve.

:smiley:
■■■■■■ in the Isle of Man,never.No caravans allowed mate.They had a Merc bendy bus over here on trial and it got a mixed reaction so not sure what they’d think of one of those road trains :laughing:
Now when you were running for Hanson out of Huddersfield to Teesside with nitro-benzene one of those outfits would have been handy,one trip and you’d done for the week.You’d need somebody to load it for you though and then weigh it and park it up ready for nights - front end in Leeds Road back end in town centre :laughing:
I’ve got one left boot and two right boots for tyre kicking and I’m not even Manx :grimacing: