tanker companies

:open_mouth: I dread to think of the money in some of the rigs that show up on hear Sniffy :astonished: :astonished:

Apologies if I’ve posted this before.Me in me Marathon at Sheffield depot in 1976,in trap one loaded for Albright and Wilson Whitehaven with Toluene from Canvey Island.With the TL12 and Fuller box it was a lot less effort than taking the old Mandator via Woodhead/Manchester/M61/M6/A591 through Lakes.One of my favourite runs.

Chris Webb:
[/url]

Apologies if I’ve posted this before.Me in me Marathon at Sheffield depot in 1976,in trap one loaded for Albright and Wilson Whitehaven with Toluene from Canvey Island.With the TL12 and Fuller box it was a lot less effort than taking the old Mandator via Woodhead/Manchester/M61/M6/A591 through Lakes.One of my favourite runs.

Toluene ! Is that the stuff we called onion juice ■■? Chris. I allways thought the Marathons looked as though they was shaking there head when setting of with a full load.

Rider200:

Chris Webb:
[/url]

Toluene ! Is that the stuff we called onion juice ■■? Chris. I allways thought the Marathons looked as though they was shaking there head when setting of with a full load.

Never heard that name for Toluene Rider,it was abbreviated to “Tolly” sometimes and was also known as Toluol, Methylbenzene and Anisen,I carried thousands of gallons of the stuff,all over the UK. It was used in allsorts of products,from aspirin to TNT - Trinitrotoluene. Some companies would insist on ex coke oven Toluene rather than ex Crude Oil as it was supposed to be purer.Staveley Chemicals product was always in demand.

" aspirin to TNT - Trinitrotoluene" It could stop a bad head :sunglasses: OR give you one hell of a head :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I think it was best not to know what the stuff in the tank was made into some time .

Thought this might be of interest, talk of Tolulene or similar spelling I assume its the same stuff as it all came from the coal oven process

hi chris and you lot, sulphur off loading point was outside transport office /staveley can anybody remember the sulphur driver who went into the rother on hall lane and drowned I was on nitro/benzene at the time did a couple of years on benzene with wack,fudge bell jeff Blackburnwho felloff a tanker and died few more memories coming back so will rest now
gordon

orvill:
hi chris and you lot, sulphur off loading point was outside transport office /staveley can anybody remember the sulphur driver who went into the rother on hall lane and drowned I was on nitro/benzene at the time did a couple of years on benzene with wack,fudge bell jeff Blackburnwho felloff a tanker and died few more memories coming back so will rest now
gordon

Gordon,you have a pm.

Smart ouitfit :smiley:

A John Hudson truck

VS01850.jpg

Staveley Chemicals! Chris

Pity it not in colour, but all pics are memory joggers! Regards Chris

Hi Back in about 1958-60 when i lived in Altrincham i used to get picked up at the end of the road by Brian Cowburn in his Merc Sports and taken to
Trafford Park, where i worked in the then new fibre glass body shop making the then new cabs for the Scammell units.
Was a good learning step into the transport world. Cowburns also owned a body building shop Cornbrook Wheelwright co.This was in Cornbrook near to the Mancunian Way.My Dad was the manager there untill it shut down in about 1976-7
Colin77

Arrow Bulk Carriers, Hull. Regards Chris

That Harold Woods motor brings back memories. Wormald Street Heckmondwike by the looks of it. I was born about half a mile from that site, i remember them moving there from Cleckheaton.

grumpy old man:
That Harold Woods motor brings back memories. Wormald Street Heckmondwike by the looks of it. I was born about half a mile from that site, i remember them moving there from Cleckheaton.

I remember it well GOM,I used to have a look at it on the way to Manchester 0n the old A62, I aslo remember the traffic lights around there they, had pads on the road to operate them There was a Policeman who used to stand on the roadside at night & when you were giving full throttle to get a run up the pull he used to step out & stamp on the pad so they would go to red what a pain in the arse that was Regards Larry.