Tachograph

So its getting near that time when i will be going out on my first job.
However i need help understanding the tachograph. I understand the driver hour rules ect, its the operation i am having problems with.
The way i see it, simply put is;
Card goes in slot 1 and no to manual entry.
Press mode button to over work while doing checks ect.
Mode button to drive when ready to drive.
4.5hrs later, mode button to break for 45min
Mode button to drive.
End of day, mode to brake ( make note of time), eject card.

Have i got this right or have i missed something. Bare in mind I wrote it down in a very basic form

Ukcinc:
So its getting near that time when i will be going out on my first job.
However i need help understanding the tachograph. I understand the driver hour rules ect, its the operation i am having problems with.
The way i see it, simply put is;
Card goes in slot 1 and no to manual entry.
Press mode button to over work while doing checks ect.
Mode button to drive when ready to drive.
4.5hrs later, mode button to break for 45min
Mode button to drive.
End of day, mode to brake ( make note of time), eject card.

Have i got this right or have i missed something. Bare in mind I wrote it down in a very basic form

You cannot select drive mode manually, when the vehicle moves the tachograph automatically changes to driving mode then when the vehicle stops moving the tachograph automatically changes to other work.

You only need to select break and other work when necessary, do not use POA until you’re used to using a tachograph because it will cause you problems with your available driving time.

Be aware that when you switch off the ignition the tachograph will change to it’s default switched off mode, this is nearly always either break or other work, when you get a vehicle make a point of checking what tachograph mode is automatically selected when you switch off the engine because you will need to know this.

By the way, you do not drive for 4.5 hours then start a break, generally you should be looking for somewhere to park up by around 4 hours driving time, although frequently you’re likely to have breaks to suit whatever run you’re on.

Cheers,
I did think it went to drive automatically, but wented to check.
I was using 4.5hr as a guide, but again thankyou.
One last thing, was what i said about the end of day right? Eg put it on rest, note time and eject?

put card in, auto changes to other work. do 15mins check.
start driving auto changes to drive
4.5hrs of driving then 45min break or before the 4.5 period take a 15min break and a 30 at some points.
i never reach my driving hours however i reach the 6hour general working rule, so i put card in at 7am and break usually about 12:30 for 45mins unless i split it.
finish shift, eject card

Thats great, thanks.

I was looking at videos online. But most just want to tell you how to start your day or how to put a manual entry in.
As i am going to be agency for a bit, i didnt want to turn up at my first job and no one show me. So at least i have the general idea.
Thankyou

tachograph:
Be aware that when you switch off the ignition the tachograph will change to it’s default switched off mode, this is nearly always either break or other work, when you get a vehicle make a point of checking what tachograph mode is automatically selected when you switch off the engine because you will need to know this.

In my experience most tachos simply remain on whatever mode is currently selected (ie work/break/POA). I believe this to be the factory default behaviour. But I agree, a driver needs to check this for himself.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Ukcinc:
Cheers,
One last thing, was what i said about the end of day right? Eg put it on rest, note time and eject?

Some say put it on rest before ejecting. I never have, I just eject it.

Depends how pernickity people are.

toonsy:

Ukcinc:
Cheers,

Some say put it on rest before ejecting. I never have, I just eject it.

Depends how pernickity people are.

The amount of times I’ve put my card in, done my vehicle checks and paperwork, then looked at the tacho and seen I’ve recorded 15 minutes worth of breaks because the person before had left it on break…

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

You may find that some vehicles default to rest even if you had set it to other work to do daily checks - AFAIR, its something that some like as the default but its easy for the company to get it adjusted without having to be resealed / calibrated. If so, whoever checks the tachos could/should identify that the daily checks are not being recorded.

CookieMonster:
The amount of times I’ve put my card in, done my vehicle checks and paperwork, then looked at the tacho and seen I’ve recorded 15 minutes worth of breaks because the person before had left it on break…

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

This is why I’ve always done manual entries every time my card goes in, its ensures I account for all my hours including the time between starting and actually getting to truck, same leaving truck and handing everything in

Doing it this way I don’t have to worry about what mode tacho was left in previously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you’re on agency driving you’ll probably need to be comfortable with analogue tachos too as you’ve no idea what you’re going to find in any given truck.

Try this pdf download if you’re feeling a bit rusty on analogues downloads.tachomaster.co.uk/doc … ograph.pdf

Ukcinc:

Sounds like you’ve got it sorted there.

Technically theres all the manual entry stuff but for starters don’t worry and just get the basics right first. (VOSA didn’t care tupence when they stopped and I’d not done manual entries).

Analog tachos - if you get one of those the truck is probably so old it prob wont make it out the yard so don’t worry. :wink:

Btw, and breath…

Cheers guys,

thanks for all the help.

Did some agency work for a couple of weeks a few months back. In my (brief) experience the tachograph machine defaults to other work when not driving. In that job it defaulted to rest as soon as I turned the engine off. Most times I turned the engine off I was doing other work. My digicard data was automatically sent to the transport office remotely. They kept saying I was on a break when I was actually working. My responsibility of course to make sure the machine is in the correct mode but easy to forget when you are used to it defaulting to other work mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always do manual entries just to account for the hours I have done. When I insert my card and if It says last withdrawal 07:19 for instance. I will put a manual entry for other work till 07.30 they way if I get stopped it doesn’t look like I have hopped from the cab straight into the car. Means I account for the time it takes to hand in paper work and walk to the car.

You tube videos will help. I had to do that before I did my first shift as I didn’t have a scoobie how to operate a tacho machine as no one shows you when you do your training. When you show up your just expected to know.

Also these forums are a good place to ask other drivers. There is no such thing as a silly question

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk