Tachograph questions from a complete rookie

Hi everyone, nice forum you got here.

Could someone please shed some light on tachograph use?

In the beginning of the shift do you just insert your digital card in the tacho and then press the “ok” button once you see your surname on the little screen?

If you are doing multidrop (store deliveries) does the tacho automatically change from driving to other work when you stop to do the handball?

I know it’s mandatory to take a 45 minute break after 4.5 hours of driving (which could be split to a 30 minute break and then another 15) but you can’t do more than 6 hours of work with no break. What would be the simplest way to know when to take a break so I don’t break the rules when I’m doing multidrop so that’s driving mixed with “other work” it’s not just driving.

What do you do on the tacho when it’s break time, do you just press the 1 button untill you see the bed symbol?

Sorry for the completely novice questions, I just want to have at least some idea what to do when I go on shift. Thank you.

15 then 30 not 30 then 15 for split driving break

SevenEight:
Hi everyone, nice forum you got here.

Could someone please shed some light on tachograph use?

In the beginning of the shift do you just insert your digital card in the tacho and then press the “ok” button once you see your surname on the little screen?

It will ask you if you want to do a manual entry. You should technically do a manual entry for any work you did after you ejected your card on the last shift, your daily rest and for the time inbetween when you started work and inserted your card. These forums are testament to the fact that this doesn’t always get done.

If you are doing multidrop (store deliveries) does the tacho automatically change from driving to other work when you stop to do the handball?

It depends on the way the tachograph is set up, but the more usual situation is to default to other work, yes. They can be set up to default to break, so check the behaviour.

I know it’s mandatory to take a 45 minute break after 4.5 hours of driving (which could be split to a 30 minute break and then another 15) but you can’t do more than 6 hours of work with no break. What would be the simplest way to know when to take a break so I don’t break the rules when I’m doing multidrop so that’s driving mixed with “other work” it’s not just driving.

Firstly, the order is 15 then 30 for the breaks. In multidrop the chances are you will get to six hours before your driving time has elapsed. Taking a 15 resets the six hours rule. Typically, I would take a 15 fairly early on and then probably try and use up quite a bit of driving before taking the 30. It all depends on the run, so there is no right answer. Finishing a shift having just taken a 15 can cause issues, so I would avoid this.

What do you do on the tacho when it’s break time, do you just press the 1 button untill you see the bed symbol?

Yes.

Sorry for the completely novice questions, I just want to have at least some idea what to do when I go on shift. Thank you.

Doing multidrop your more likely to hit wtd 6h before driving break 4.5h rule

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Thank you to everyone that posted, especially to @Noremac.

The tachograph keeps working for the whole shift even if you switch the engine off, it still counts other work or break, right?

SevenEight:
Thank you to everyone that posted, especially to @Noremac.

The tachograph keeps working for the whole shift even if you switch the engine off, it still counts other work or break, right?

No problem, just ask away.

Yes, you can take the keys out and walk away and the break will still record.

Beware the occasional tachograph that may change state when you either turn off the ignition or turn it on. It can happen and you can lose some accumulated break if you don’t change it back immediately.

Some tachos will only eject with the key on. Took me ages to work out why it wouldn’t eject.

You can stick the tacho in and not press anything and will default to other work. Some may default to break so just change it to other work. As said above once you put it on break and switch the ignition on or off some switch over to other work so something to keep an eye on. 15 min break first then a 30 for split break. Tacho will record everything from the moment you put it in to taking it out wether ignition is on or off. As soon as you drive it will switch to driving automatically and when you stop it will go to other work. Some will go on break but again something you need to check. Then just press the 1 button to change modes. Keep it pressed to eject

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For wtd its 15 min for upto 6hrs 30 min 9hrs 45 min 12 hrs

mark1284:

Where do you get 12 hours from :question:

I always keep note of when i put my card in and keep it in my head to at least get a 15min in that 6 hours. Put card in at 06:00, make sure to have a 15 min before 12:00. Driving time is easy as it shows you on the tacho so just keep checking it to make sure you don’t go over. If you get regular runs, you’ll get to know when it’s best to take breaks.

ROG:

mark1284:

Where do you get 12 hours from :question:

Sorry after 9hrs 45 min break

SevenEight:

“30 minute break and then another 15” NO - must be 15 and then a 30 (remember to add a minute so it’s really a 16 and 31… and a 45 is a 46).

I started with multidrop and still find the easiest thing to do is think of breaks in terms of 3 hour intervals (working time break). So if you start at 0600, your first 15 is before 0900 and your next 15 is before 1200. If before 1200 your driving time is getting close to 4 hours then take a 30. Depends on the drops BUT I always found that doing 15, 30, 15, 30 has always kept me in the clear. Except with a long distance run when obviously driving time ‘overides’ working time (max 6 hours). With multidrop most drops will end up being a working break but that’s how it is.