Tacho changed to other work

norb:

stevieboy308:
Stoneridge can be changed with the company card

Siemams needs the workshop card

I had heard you could use a company card ,but didnt know it was only stoneridge …Does that also apply to the new siemens that is out…ieit now ejects the card in a tray ,though the front of the tray hinges down to get your card out …So gone are the heavy electric motors and it now has a plastic body like the stoneridge

I don’t know, it’s not something I’ve ever done to be fair

tachograph:

milesahead:
It must be newby question but why tacho changed from brake to other work when I switched ignition off and on? Looks like I have wasted 45 min.

Tachographs can be set to default to any mode when the ignition is switched off, if you change vehicles regularly you will need to get into the habit of checking which ignition off mode the tachograph is set to.

This isn’t really a big problem as long as you know about it, in your case if you set the tachograph to break/rest then turn the ignition off you’ll notice that the mode symbol flashes other work for 5 seconds, during this 5 seconds while the mode symbol is flashing you can change back to break/rest without it affecting what’s written to your driver card.

That’s useful, thank you.

Tacho should default to other work when you switch on the ignition to open the window, and clean the mirror :smiley: :smiley:

dave docwra:
Tacho should default to other work when you switch on the ignition to open the window, and clean the mirror :smiley: :smiley:

Best post of the week! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dave docwra:

[emoji16][emoji106]

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using Tapatalk

WhiteTruckMan:
IMO it’s fine for a tacho to bump to other work on starting the engine. What is NOT reasonable is ANY mode change just for turning on the ignition.

Agree, and if you don’t know, you wouldn’t expect it, as it doesn’t make any sense. You leave your truck, you come back, switch on ignition to listen radio or open your window and then half an hour later you check time left and…surprise! surprise! There was no break!

milesahead:

WhiteTruckMan:
IMO it’s fine for a tacho to bump to other work on starting the engine. What is NOT reasonable is ANY mode change just for turning on the ignition.

Agree, and if you don’t know, you wouldn’t expect it, as it doesn’t make any sense. You leave your truck, you come back, switch on ignition to listen radio or open your window and then half an hour later you check time left and…surprise! surprise! There was no break!

I know it doesn’t make much sense - but once you are aware of it you’ll seldom get caught out by it. For example, none of the lorries I’ve driven require the ignition to be switched “on” in order to listen to the radio - you can either switch the radio on without touching the ignition switch at all, or on some it’s just a case of turning the key to the “Accessory” position rather than switching to “On”. Power windows can be more of an issue - on many day-cabbed lorries you do indeed have to switch the ignition to “On” (many with a sleeper cab will have a secondary set of window controls which are not so prescriptive). But even if you do need to switch the ignition “on”, you still get five seconds or so to tap the Mode button and switch the tacho back to Break/Rest.
If push comes to shove and you do find yourself with no break recorded due to this sort of issue, you only need to do a handwritten paper entry to correct it anyway. Takes all of two minutes even if you’re a slow writer…

biggriffin:
Just get a Volvo, stays were you put it till you drive off, as norb says down to the monkey who pdi said vehicle, seems that iveco default to rest, Man and berc default to other, and daf’s seem very random with settings. I would guess Reno’s being french do what ever they like.

It has nothing to do with the badge on the front - it’s simply how the tachograph was set up in that particular vehicle, which will be a result of decisions taken by the factory, the dealer, the customer and (more specifically) the bloke who set up the tachograph in the first place.

Drempels:
As I read it, he had the ignition off and was on break. He switched the ignition on and the tacho changed mode by itself to other work.

That’s stupid.

Of course they should default to other work when you switch the ignition off, it would be daft to have it any other way in this day and age.

I should add, the ignition position should have nothing to do with the tachograph mode.

Of course it shouldn’t. I’m parked up and switch the ignition on to open the window and it interrupts my rest or break periods

In my opinion the tachograph should stay on whatever mode it’s been set to, switching the ignition on or off should not change the tachograph mode that’s the drivers job.

But I suppose that’s too simple.

Sent from my mobile.

Roymondo:

milesahead:

WhiteTruckMan:

I know it doesn’t make much sense - but once you are aware of it you’ll seldom get caught out by it. For example, none of the lorries I’ve driven require the ignition to be switched “on” in order to listen to the radio - you can either switch the radio on without touching the ignition switch at all, or on some it’s just a case of turning the key to the “Accessory” position rather than switching to “On”. Power windows can be more of an issue - on many day-cabbed lorries you do indeed have to switch the ignition to “On” (many with a sleeper cab will have a secondary set of window controls which are not so prescriptive). But even if you do need to switch the ignition “on”, you still get five seconds or so to tap the Mode button and switch the tacho back to Break/Rest.
If push comes to shove and you do find yourself with no break recorded due to this sort of issue, you only need to do a handwritten paper entry to correct it anyway. Takes all of two minutes even if you’re a slow writer…

Radio was just an example, I don’t know how this works on different lorries, my experience level status is Beginner [emoji5]. And with mode change thing I agree, once you know this, then it’s not such a big problem any more. About writing on the printout I feel like it’s a last resort thing, like if I even do this, I will have to prove that it’s true anyway.

Roymondo:

biggriffin:
Just get a Volvo, stays were you put it till you drive off, as norb says down to the monkey who pdi said vehicle, seems that iveco default to rest, Man and berc default to other, and daf’s seem very random with settings. I would guess Reno’s being french do what ever they like.

It has nothing to do with the badge on the front - it’s simply how the tachograph was set up in that particular vehicle, which will be a result of decisions taken by the factory, the dealer, the customer and (more specifically) the bloke who set up the tachograph in the first place.

Stoneridge & VDO set them up to go from rest to other work with a ign cycle …When it is being activated for the first time and calibrated if the customer doesn’t ask for the modes to be changed then most people when doing the initial calibration will not alter the modes …I do as even if not on the job card as our customer have said previously that is how they want it,but we have people who if it isn’t on the job card then they won’t do it …Which usually ends up with it being done at a later time

norb:
It’s how they come set up from the manufacturer I always set them to no change on calibration ,though if the customer doesn’t specify it when when it is being PDI’d then most people won’t set it …im a bit of a rogue I just do it anyway :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: no complaints so far …It is a 2 min job ,though I have heard that it can now be done with a company card ,I do not know if it is true or not

Without reading through all the posts… This ^^^ is how it’s done at our place, as some of our new trucks were defaulting to POA when the ignition went off! :imp:

Please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but surely modern tacho’s only take notice of the activity that is used for the majority of any given minute. So if you have a tacho that defaults to other work when you cycle the ignition to open windows for example, then you have 29 seconds to switch it back to break/rest before any interruption to rest is recorded.

I don’t know if this is still the case with newer factory multimedia system installations but most standard after market radios as fitted in trucks will switch on for an hour by pressing the on/off turny volume knob regardless of the ignition being on or off.

The last 2 new trucks I had I went to the dealer while it was being prepared and asked them to set the tacho to ‘no change’ when cycling the ignition, and to default to other work when switching off. I got fed up with having to remember to switch to other work every time I got out to do work, and at the time I was doing 10 > 15 collection and deliveries per day.

The story of why tachos do the change of activity when the ignition is switched on or off goes like this;

Once upon a time all digital Tachos went from whatever they were recording to ‘driving’ as impulses were received from the motion sensor, a vehicle that had been recording ‘driving’ automatically recorded ‘work’ when the impulses stopped being received. They did this because the law said they had to. The Tacho manufacturers basically set the instruments to keep recording whatever mode was being recorded when the ignition feed was turned on or off.

A couple of years went by and a very upset French manufacturer (who was the first company to gain type approval for their Tacho) had a bit of a problem; they hadn’t got any OE contracts with vehicle manufacturers, you can tell how bad it was because even Renault wouldn’t fit the product. To try and stimulate the market said manufacturer asked a load of drivers what feature would make them want to specify the manufacturers product over any other. The answer came back that changing the mode from ‘work’ to ‘break/rest’ was all too much effort for our French driving colleagues, it would be a whole lot easier if the Tacho did it automatically, like the good old analogue machines did. Our French manufacturer changed their software so that the recorded mode could be set to change automatically when the ignition was turned on or off. The settings could be adjusted by the driver without the use of any special equipment the options were; ‘break/rest,’ ‘POA,’ ‘work’ or no change. The same options were available when the ignition was turned on. It is alleged that an upset German manufacturer complained to the Technical Committee and said this ‘automatic change’ of mode was against the legislation. Said committee went away, read the rules again and pronounced that because the rules didn’t say anything about what happens when the ignition is turned on/off it was perfectly OK for the Tachos to change mode automatically under these circumstances. Said German manufacturer adapted their software but made the setting only available when a ‘Workshop Card’ was used. Along came a certain Swedish company who thought ‘if everybody else doing it, we might as well join the party.’ However, the Swedes decided that a Company Card should be needed to affect the change, that way all Tachos in a fleet could be set to one option, not changed at random and there was no expensive trip to a Tacho Centre.

Trouble was that nobody really told anyone about all this, which lead to some very confused people at the end of 2006 beginning of 2007. Unfortunately the situation still continues to this day, although the 2016 Tacho legislation, which will, eventually, give us Smart Tacho, does say that the instrument should give a clear warning of the change of mode and allow a driver to override it.

Our story ends with the two main manufacturers still producing Tachos where the default recording mode can be set differently for ignition on/off. The latest offering from Stoneridge still uses the Company Card to adjust settings and the VDO 3.0 still appears to rely on the vehicle having to go back to a Tacho Calibration Centre. Wonder what will happen next year when we get Smart Tacho?

Drempels:
That’s stupid.

Of course they should default to other work when you switch the ignition off, it would be daft to have it any other way in this day and age.

Nope…not for me…on distance work at any rate.

Mazzer2:
Have to disagree everyone I have had is set to break when the ignition is switched off just set it to other work when required far better than having breaks disrupted because you turned the ignition on to open a window or times when rushing out of the lorry such as on ferries and you forget to change the mode and then discover you have just done 2 hours on other work and now need to take a 45 in Calais

100% Mazzer although if using the ferry interruption I have to be a bit extra careful not to go into rest more than twice between all the shunts.