T&D Begging Thread: Your best job ever?

Harry Monk:

Rob K:
I may have missed it in a previous thread but what financial incentives do you offer truckers for providing you with content which you then sell and get paid for?

You really are the most negative, miserable and depressing person I have ever encountered Rob. An article in a truck magazine with quotes from half-a-dozen drivers might pay what, £100?

What difference does the amount make? It could be £1 or £1000 but the point still stands that she is using truckers for her own personal financial gain. Maybe your eyesight is better than mine but I don’t see it mentioned anywhere in her preamble : “please note that anything you post in this thread may be used in my T&D magazine article for which I will receive a monetary payment for” (or words to the effect of). I don’t see any problem with pointing out this lack of transparency to other members when Trucknet is a commercial enterprise these days and no longer run from the back bedroom of a ex-council house in Middlesborough.

To put a positive slant on it just to shut you up Vince :stuck_out_tongue: , Lucy is articulate enough to write her own content without needing to resort to using the ramblings of truckers on internet forums, most of whom struggle to string a sentence together in a coherent fashion. If I were to buy a magazine to read an article of that nature I would much rather read her own personal experiences in her writing style than a simple lazy-arsed copy and paste of other truckers’ posts from an internet forum. :bulb:

As I said elsewhere, I’m really starting to regret luring you back on here. :stuck_out_tongue:

You didn’t.

Rob K:
I may have missed it in a previous thread but what financial incentives do you offer truckers for providing you with content which you then sell and get paid for?

I can’t see what the problem is.

You’ve usually got no issue with sharing your pearls of dubious ‘wisdom’ with everyone else on here (and nor did you when you worked for Archies, when you were stupid enough to believe that a heavy haulage job entailed spending 90% of the time asleep in an armchair, and when you gleefully told everyone that you were going on a job involving round-trips to Sweden that, strangely enough, never materialised), so why not for Lucy’s purposes too?

don’t think I ever had a job I could praise up,driving is all I know so it’s just a way of paying the bills,never liked it or disliked it we all have good /bad days,but lucy got me wondering about the jobs I had and I honestly cannot think of one I would go back to or praise up.

Olog Hai:

Rob K:

I can’t see what the problem is.

You’ve usually got no issue with sharing your pearls of dubious ‘wisdom’ with everyone else on here (and nor did you when you worked for Archies, when you were stupid enough to believe that a heavy haulage job entailed spending 90% of the time asleep in an armchair, and when you gleefully told everyone that you were going on a job involving round-trips to Sweden that, strangely enough, never materialised), so why not for Lucy’s purposes too?

As all that happened years before you even became a member of the site, what was your previous (and presumably since banned) username?

Rob K:
As all that happened years before you even became a member of the site, what was your previous (and presumably since banned) username?

Banned? No. As you of all people well know, it is not against the rules to have more than one account.

As for your question: Good luck, fella… :wink:

Over the years I have had some really great jobs and some really bad one’s. First really good company I worked for was Federal Express, driving on the Matchbox toys contract, the people, wages and benefits were amazing to me as I had been working for some nasty firms in the past, we had the best wages, a pension that us employee’s never paid a penny into but got huge amounts in return and 99% discount an all airlines world wide, free if we used a jump seat.
In 1997 I left another great company ‘Tesco’ where I was told I must be insane to leave such a wonderful company, to tell the truth I was bored out of my mind with the Brackmills to Milton Keynes shuttle at an average speed that must not exceed 40 MPH, or shunting in the yard for 7 hours a day. I chose to move to an exhibition company with travel all over the UK and Europe, working with Ford’s Jaguar and F1 and Touring car racing, In loved that job, it was hard work setting up events, hospitality units and other show equipment but even after a couple of days getting to a site and a day building the kits we were rewarded with day’s or sometimes weeks in a hotel on full pay and expenses.
In Feb 2000 I moved to the USA and have had a few not so nice jobs driving for even a septic company, eventually I started with my present company ‘Foodliner’ I pull a liquid food grade tanker around the north east USA, Canada and as far as Nova Scotia, this is by far the easiest work I have had in my 43 years of heavy truck driving, the company has to be the best in the USA, I am treated with respect and paid the highest wages in the industry over this side of the Atlantic. I intend to retire in the next year or two and have no intention of looking for anything else.

Rob K:
To put a positive slant on it just to shut you up Vince :stuck_out_tongue: , Lucy is articulate enough to write her own content without needing to resort to using the ramblings of truckers on internet forums, most of whom struggle to string a sentence together in a coherent fashion. If I were to buy a magazine to read an article of that nature I would much rather read her own personal experiences in her writing style than a simple lazy-arsed copy and paste of other truckers’ posts from an internet forum. :bulb:

I read it that Lucy was not wanting to write solely about her own experiences but possibly those of others, including those who have travelled further than the European mainland which is Yorkshire. :stuck_out_tongue:

I personally am pleased, even slightly nostalgic, to see Rob K back on here (even though he is a cantankerous, argumentative old bugger :smiley: ) he is straight to the point and post his argumentative stuff because that’s what he believes, however wrong he maybe, :laughing: not just for the chance to wind people up, that just a side effect.

However I’m quite happy to share my best job for free, as I’m paid so much I can afford too. :wink:

I’ve had 40 odd years on the road now, and i’ve enjoyed almost every day.

You’ve got to make the best out of whatever you do, if you (like some of the miserable bleeders i have to work with) hate the work hate the company hate driving lorries then for Christ’s sake pack it and get another bloody job…minor rant over :laughing:

I liked my early days of general haulage (apart from no power steering), the ropes and sheets even the handballing.
Liked night trunking, clear roads then, never any overnight road works.
Enjoyed the bulk grain/coal tippers, and really enjoyed tip work with rigid rolonoffs.
Animal offal was ok, stunk a bit but ministry and police avoided you like the plague.
Best paying job was probably the 80’s night trunking job i landed purely by being in the right place at the right time, no limiters company wanted the product delivering before schedule :sunglasses: and paid very well for it.
Car transporters was the hardest work by far, but it was interesting and it paid well but by hell you earned every penny.
Tankers (i’m on now, hopefully my last job) is good, easy enough so long as you give it some thought, and where i am you’re still allowed to take a pride in your work…that pride thing i find increasingly important as it vanishes from the transport scene.

Kwik Save supermarket delivery was the most enjoyable job though and if it hadn’t gone pop i would have seen my time out there, it was just a really good job, decent pay not rushed and home every night and cos they were little day cab tractor units no glory boys wanted to work there so the job didn’t get carved up and ruined, i’d go back tomorrow.
Most of the drivers were decent sticks, even the managers and supervisors were ok especially if you could be relied on to just go and do your job without issues, on site workshops too, it was just a basically happy place to work, even the security lads were sound.

Harry Monk:

Rob K:

I read it that Lucy was not wanting to write solely about her own experiences but possibly those of others, including those who have travelled further than the European mainland which is Yorkshire. :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re getting your mileage out of that one Vince, I’ll give you that. I don’t you don’t get out much these days and the highlight of your day is having a good moan with other boaters about getting stuck on those dastardly sand banks and how the authorities “do something about it” but how about some fresh jokes from the year 2018 instead of recycled ones from 2005? :smiley:

Harry Monk:

Rob K:

You’re getting your mileage out of that one Vince, I’ll give you that. I know you don’t get out much these days and the highlight of your day is having a good moan with other boaters about getting stuck on those dastardly sand banks and how the authorities “do something about it” but how about some fresh jokes from the year 2018 instead of recycled ones from 2005? :smiley:

edit

Rob K:
You’re getting your mileage out of that one Vince, I’ll give you that. I know you don’t get out much these days and the highlight of your day is having a good moan with other boaters about getting stuck on those dastardly sand banks and how the authorities “do something about it” but how about some fresh jokes from the year 2018 instead of recycled ones from 2005? :smiley:

I have to congratulate you for knowing what my given name is. When I ran my own truck I posted dozens of photos of it, signwritten in my company name, and anyone who runs a limited company knows that their personal details are freely available for anyone to view on the internet… You are hardly Lieutenant Columbo, are you?

Don’t really understand the “I know you don’t get out much these days” comment, I spend my whole life out■■?

Harry Monk:

Rob K:

I have to congratulate you for knowing what my given name is. When I ran my own truck I posted dozens of photos of it, signwritten in my company name, and anyone who runs a limited company knows that their personal details are freely available for anyone to view on the internet… You are hardly Lieutenant Columbo, are you?

Don’t really understand the “I know you don’t get out much these days” comment, I spend my whole life out■■?

Well Ive been down the local pub tonite there was nothing on so I came back ,but this makes up for it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: keep up the entertainment men .

Punchy Dan:
Well Ive been down the local pub tonite there was nothing on so I came back ,but this makes up for it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: keep up the entertainment men .

Rob had been absent from TruckNet for about five years but I kind of missed him in the way that a village misses its idiot, I knew he was still lurking of course and I decided to lure him back in, largely for my own private amusement it must be admitted.

A simple one-line post in the Feedback Forum is all it took. :stuck_out_tongue:

Rob K:

Harry Monk:

Rob K:

You really are the most negative, miserable and depressing person I have ever encountered Rob. An article in a truck magazine with quotes from half-a-dozen drivers might pay what, £100?

What difference does the amount make? It could be £1 or £1000 but the point still stands that she is using truckers for her own personal financial gain. Maybe your eyesight is better than mine but I don’t see it mentioned anywhere in her preamble : “please note that anything you post in this thread may be used in my T&D magazine article for which I will receive a monetary payment for” (or words to the effect of). I don’t see any problem with pointing out this lack of transparency to other members when Trucknet is a commercial enterprise these days and no longer run from the back bedroom of a ex-council house in Middlesborough.

As I said elsewhere, I’m really starting to regret luring you back on here. :stuck_out_tongue:

You didn’t.

Do you realise, every time you log on and give this site an extra hit… they are using you via advertisement etc…

What is the issue of a driver telling a person of a positive story … end of the day, by people doing this it helps keep the site running to help newer drivers… you ought to take a chill pill

Ive never had a "dead mans shoes" job. But have never had a truly awful job either, all have had both good and bad points.
Arguably the best was working for Ron Griffiths on STS.
Well maintained kit, not too flash or new but solid. Paid on a good day rate whether sat around or driving. Never pushed for speed or hours etc. Given a job, then just left to get on with it. Good variety of work from Morocco across western Europe to Greece and Hungary etc. Some island work to Sardinia, and to Sicilly by ferry from Genoa, rather than by road.
Not much use if you wanted to be home for tea every night, or even every weekend for that matter, but one of the best jobs of it`s type. Good bunch of drivers there too.

Lucy does indeed pay contribors extremely well. In the last year the magazine have ran two separate features in which I was heavily included. I can confirm that as a result of that I have not only paid my mortgage and that of my neighbours off but I am now laid on a Caribbean beach snorting high grade coke off the tanned belly of a Russian ■■■■■■. See, it’s not all doom and gloom. :wink:

I can also confirm I’m rewarded very well for anything Lucy shoves in her mag.

Ghiabox:
(kinda miss driving around and about to Oxenhope and around bradford Keighley and funny named pubs like Dirty Dicks in Halifax) and I wish I had plucked up the courage to go have a look around the Crypt in the church at Lastingham :laughing:
:

I have family in Lastingham Crypt.

My best job was similar with United Carriers. 30 to 35 drops from Boroughbridge, Ripon, Hawes, Skipton, Harrogate and Knaresborough.

I also did the old air bases in Lincolnshire as well as Lincoln City and Gainsborough.

TK Bedford and king of the country lanes.

muckles:
I personally am pleased, even slightly nostalgic, to see Rob K back on here (even though he is a cantankerous, argumentative old bugger :smiley: ) he is straight to the point and post his argumentative stuff because that’s what he believes, however wrong he maybe, :laughing: not just for the chance to wind people up, that just a side effect.

However I’m quite happy to share my best job for free, as I’m paid so much I can afford too. :wink:

Rob K is Vince [emoji23]