Fun Thread: ! Most Unusual or pointless job?

:question: Sent to Stratford lift for 8am to meet a crane. make sure you take a supercube tilt!was my final instruction. I loaded one small crate on a pallet and took it to Budapest for Schenkers. That was it but I didnt have time to find myself a full load as it was urgent. Doh! :confused:

I didnt actually see this thread before( note to kev, log on more).

One of the drivers with the firm I used to work for forget all sorts of paperwork from the office on a typical friday run to Nenagh, not sure what county it is but its not exactly local to belfast!! Muggins here worked on a Saturday delivering paperwork for said load, when i asked if I could take the bosses merc you can Imagine the reaction i got, so ended up going in the Cargo!!

Daft?? Yup

Profitable?? very got paid an extra 150 quid just for that run empty!!

Kev

Ran from Trafford Park to Chippenham Loaded, My mate on my back door was m/t, arrived at Chipp, was given my mates m/t trailer to come back with. :confused:

Used to sit in Milton Keynes with a 44t double deck fridge trailer, waiting for 1 small pallet(somtimes with only 30 cases on it), many times upto 3 hours. :confused:

six drivers sent from Norwich to Manchester to collect five trucks that did not need collecting, one phone call could have have saved £100’s in wages alone.

was asked to paint a new building when i was steel ercting, the boss says its urgent as they wont pay out on the building till its painted in the right color so went into yard and collected the cargo wich was loaded with all the paint and dust sheets etc drove to warsop notts found the farm and said building.

started to unload and there was loads of tins of paint and we opened one it was green!!! shock phones the boss says we have a prob cos all the paint is green yes thats right he says but the building already green yes i know he says just paint it but its the same green thats right he says and dont get a drop on the floor why i say cos they are storing pig muck in it.

we painted it and never spilled a drop got £1000, each for two days work but never did know why.

This is a regular occurence. Load 27t of ngm Soya at Selby to take to store. Get followed up road by Truck who has just weighed in at same site in Selby. Tip load at store for them to load it directly on truck who was behind me all the way!!!

Enfield to Basingstoke with one ceramic tile wrapped in a bubble wrap, it was a sample wall tile 100mmX100mm that they needed to check their specs with.

Two days later had to go from Watford to Basingstoke to collect it as it was the wrong colour.

Most amusing bit is we have a depot at Farnham!

one bottle vodka from Waverly Vintner (Gateshead)

Gateshead to Wales

Director left his jacket in office (with wallet) at Cramlington, booked into hotel in Essex leaving 08.00 hrs next morning.
I arrived there about 07.30

An Irishman I know used to take beef from N. Ireland to Scotland to be labled “Beef from Scotland” then went to France

Some of John’s

Bananas, Holland to Southampton then to “goods out” bananas to Holland

Ice cream to Germany to be labled with a well known brand then brought back to UK

Full load cherries Spain to UK half for UK rest for Germany,
The UK ones still had stalks and leaves on the German ones did not

Picked up 20 empty gas bottles at Cramlington which had been brought up from Bristol to Cramlington.
Then via Stranraer to Rosslare for Ferry

Thought it would be fun to have a giggle at the incompetence of our industry :wink:

What was the most pointless or unusual loads you ever did??

I have had a few classics…
but I think the best was when I spent a number of weeks taking Steel Coils from a UK stockholder to Germany… where I unsheeted… the coil was lifted off… the UK steel stockholders stickers and bar codes were removed and German ones put on… We then reloaded the coils and ran to a Car Factory 20 miles from the Steel Stockholder in UK we originally loaded from

It was 6 weeks until someone with an iota of intelligence realised that if they posted the german labels to our yard… WE could change over the stickers saving an awful lot of travelling and expense :wink:

As this Haulier is somehow still in business I decline to name and shame them… :smiley:

When I was an assistant transport manager we used to send a load of steel drill pipes to Milan every week.

It took me a while to twig that the return load from the same factory was the previous weeks pipe cleaned up.

Same collection and delivery points in Italy and the UK - it turned out that 2 brothers owned the factories - 1 in Italy and 1 in the UK and this was to do with EU subsisdies.

two i can recall while working for city transport…here goes

left spennymoor for load at mexborough, 2 mins away and phone rings…cancel that load terry, run M/T UP TO EAST KILBRIDE FOR LOAD OF EMTIES TO GO TO DARTFORD…HEHEHEHEHEHE.

FROM ALCONBURY TO EASTBOURNE WITH ONE PALLET , TIP RELOAD FELIXSTOWE, FOR DARLINGTON…HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH…

i think this could be one of the reasons city went breasts up dont you…PLANNERS WANTED …G

I took a piano stool from Middlesbrough to slough once! in a 40ft box :smiley:

northamptonshire to imola italy,then up to venice italy,back to northamptonshire all this empty !!!

i did take two filled out CMRs with me,does that count as a load ■■

Are you allowed to have fun here :question:

8 months running an empty artic to Penrith from Cov and back in a 7.5 tonner, both empty 5 days a week. Management said they where practicing the times :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: I said, I know how long it takes but I still had to go. :unamused:

burton to braintree for 6 hanging garments in a 45 ft trailer.

it took me longer to back on the bay then it did to load it :smiling_imp:

jon

Maybe not so crazy as some trips Ive read here, but I loaded a 20’ box in London, took it to tilbury Freightliner to go on the Felixstowe train, and then went MT skel to Felix!

Mal.

:unamused: Any job to Morrisons where they will always find some excuse to refuse it and send it back. The latest being that one of the pallets had a crack in it so they refused the whole load. This is no joke either. The company I was working for at the time was well accustomed to their antics and weren’t remotely surprised. :unamused:

Leicester to Market Harborough with a 60 watt light bulb in a ■■■■■■ van.

Madness!!!

Bully