Suttons Tankers Dispute

Janis, we don’t advertise. I still feel we get good drivers by recommendation. Occasionally it goes wrong, but less than when we advertised.

robroy:
These ‘Top jobs’ that everyone mentions,…
Lads who I have spoken to over the years with maybe not ‘Top jobs’ but let’s say the better end of the market jobs with better pay, pay structures, and general conditions, (and I may be generalising here because no doubt there will be exceptions) as if by magic all seem to be firms where the drivers are in a Union collectively, and where the Unions negotiate rather than try and dictate…as it should be.

So all the bandwagon riders and jumpers, who bad mouth them should maybe consider that fact for a minute.
I personally work for a firm where there is a vast potential to change policies, terms and attitudes towards drivers, but I know it will never happen because there is no union with either a small ‘u’ or Trade Union presence, so the [zb] goes on, which is a pity.

I think there is maybe one of ours in a Union, so its fair to say unions don’t bother my pretty little head . I think we are at the better end of the job market, will never be at the top end as a small firm we simply don’t have the clout.

If the lads want to join a union, they are welcome to. But it wouldn’t change their terms and conditions, mostly because as you can imagine, if I can be awkward with a customer, what would I be like with an outsider telling me what to do. And what could they do, nothing. Well they could go on strike, but then I’d probably go on strike the day they got back. I suspect there’d be little sympathy with the wage dept not working. :wink:

albion:
Janis, we don’t advertise. I still feel we get good drivers by recommendation. Occasionally it goes wrong, but less than when we advertised.

robroy:
Lads who I have spoken to over the years with maybe not ‘Top jobs’ but let’s say the better end of the market jobs with better pay, pay structures, and general conditions, (and I may be generalising here because no doubt there will be exceptions) as if by magic all seem to be firms where the drivers are in a Union collectively, and where the Unions negotiate rather than try and dictate…as it should be.

So all the bandwagon riders and jumpers, who bad mouth them should maybe consider that fact for a minute.
I personally work for a firm where there is a vast potential to change policies, terms and attitudes towards drivers, but I know it will never happen because there is no union with either a small ‘u’ or Trade Union presence, so the [zb] goes on, which is a pity.

I think there is maybe one of ours in a Union, so its fair to say unions don’t bother my pretty little head . I think we are at the better end of the job market, will never be at the top end as a small firm we simply don’t have the clout.

If the lads want to join a union, they are welcome to. But it wouldn’t change their terms and conditions, mostly because as you can imagine, if I can be awkward with a customer, what would I be like with an outsider telling me what to do. And what could they do, nothing. Well they could go on strike, but then I’d probably go on strike the day they got back. I suspect there’d be little sympathy with the wage dept not working. :wink:

Just like I said there are exceptions,.and why would anybody want to, or feel the need to join a Union while working for you, (if what you say is true about your attitude, terms, and conditions for your drivers)
As I said the type of firm that needs a union of sorts is the type I work for, it won’t happen, so I just crack on and live up to my signature at the bottom.
:arrow_down::arrow_down::arrow_down:

I can’t recall a time where i am now that the union as such was ever called in.

The union isn’t some TUC speech suit, the union is the members at depot level, us drivers and warehouse/production staff who pay their dues, attend the meetings, chip in with their (hopefully) sensible tuppenceworth, and vote on proposals and pay offers with a view to not killing the golden goose.
The union regional office is there for training up the elected stewards, and for legal advice and guidance if necessary, usually not needed.
Speaking of stewards, one of the most important things is to elect the right people.

All the really well termed jobs i’ve had have been unionised, though there were and no doubt are still exceptions, a common theme of better terms being that flash tackle wasn’t and isn’t normally involved, no interest to me because i’ve always been drawn to the money not the lorry.

I’ve never seen a union kill a job that i’ve been on, often the union stewards have taken on a sort of foreman type role where they keep a bit of discipline in the ranks, ie if the pay is decent but not linked to productivity as such a sensible view is taken of the amount of work done, so a decent days pay sees a decent days work in return, don’t take the ■■■■ like some (usually non driving) 70’s excess of clocking in other bods who were never there and some sleeping the night away on a rota basis, it’s no coincidence that those jobs have vanished.

The only problem with good jobs, whether unionised or not, is half wits (of which there are legion) taking the ■■■■ out of sick pay, the same bods are the ones who always having a ready supply of excuses not to do their job and usually ■■■■■■■■ things up on a regular basis to boot, twerps like that really get my goat and there is no faster route to ending the good (often own account) jobs leading to the arrival of the green death and other assorted mobs.

albion:

robroy:

So petty, and so much hot air, with too much ego. Tell me how you would fare if the unions made a comeback and you had to take drivers off the union register?
Do you remember that? Probably not, as I am guessing you came into this industry through family patronage. The union would have a list of unemployed drivers and you would supposedly get the next name on the list. You can only imagine how this was abused, and your firm would be referred to as a twopence ha’penny firm. (refer to page 1).
I am an o/driver because of the union, and have made what I have on merit. People like you would buckle under the first bit of intimidation.

So much aggression, so much presumption.

To answer your questions.

If unions came back to that degree, I’d retire. I’ve stated before I can do at any time.

Family patronage…that’s very very funny. My Dad had his own wagon, he went bankrupt and I had to buy the family home to keep it, that was before I worked for myself. Is that what you mean by family patronage? :wink:

We do share something, I made what I have because of my merit, that would be a small firm of 25 drivers over two bases. My Dad died leaving nothing but a small rented warehouse that wasn’t making money that my mum shut down straightaway. My mam left me 10k. That’s my life of privelege. :unamused: The rest of it I slogged for, much like anyone else who has a go in this business. I try and run a business that people are happy to work in and since people stay, they seem happy enough. Work and luck play a big part in how things pan out.

Confrontation, never something I seek out. But if anyone wants a fight, they can have one. I’m not money oriented, I work for myself because I’ve tended to go my own way in life, working for other people doesn’t fit my awkward personality. If you think that means I can’t cope with idiots, crack on, you don’t know me.

I bet Janos gets on well with his customer(s) seems to me he has a bag o’ chips on his shoulder cos someone is doing better than him ■■?

Janos:

albion:

robroy:

So petty, and so much hot air, with too much ego. Tell me how you would fare if the unions made a comeback and you had to take drivers off the union register?
Do you remember that? Probably not, as I am guessing you came into this industry through family patronage. The union would have a list of unemployed drivers and you would supposedly get the next name on the list. You can only imagine how this was abused, and your firm would be referred to as a twopence ha’penny firm. (refer to page 1).
I am an o/driver because of the union, and have made what I have on merit. People like you would buckle under the first bit of intimidation.

^This guys got some real issues with other people doing well,I’d say he’s been under pricing people for years on O/d and it has got him no where, hense the hard line stance against these Sutton lads .
just remember jealousy and hatred of success will implode on you as will anger and hostility .
If I see people in a better roll than me it gives me the will to work towards bettering MY life .I hope these lads get a better deal .

albion:
So much aggression, so much presumption.

To answer your questions.

If unions came back to that degree, I’d retire. I’ve stated before I can do at any time.

Family patronage…that’s very very funny. My Dad had his own wagon, he went bankrupt and I had to buy the family home to keep it, that was before I worked for myself. Is that what you mean by family patronage? :wink:

We do share something, I made what I have because of my merit, that would be a small firm of 25 drivers over two bases. My Dad died leaving nothing but a small rented warehouse that wasn’t making money that my mum shut down straightaway. My mam left me 10k. That’s my life of privelege. :unamused: The rest of it I slogged for, much like anyone else who has a go in this business. I try and run a business that people are happy to work in and since people stay, they seem happy enough. Work and luck play a big part in how things pan out.

Confrontation, never something I seek out. But if anyone wants a fight, they can have one. I’m not money oriented, I work for myself because I’ve tended to go my own way in life, working for other people doesn’t fit my awkward personality. If you think that means I can’t cope with idiots, crack on, you don’t know me.

Well put ,Any jobs going :sunglasses:
I can see why you are a success … :smiley:

Beetlejuice:
^This guys got some real issues with other people doing well.

just remember jealousy and hatred of success will implode on you as will anger and hostility .
If I see people in a better roll than me it gives me the will to work towards bettering MY life .I hope these lads get a better deal .

Got to admit he does come across a bit sour grapes.
Way I see it is if someone is getting well paid in this job and on more than me, good luck to them I say.
I certainly do not wish them, or take pleasure in them having to take lower pay because of that. :unamused:

Lower pay doesn’t help an Operator other than volume of work. It doesn’t make you richer/ better profit margin. I’d argue it makes you poorer because the drivers won’t feel they are invested in the company, won’t feel valued, so they’ll do the bare minimum.

My point still stands about Suttons; do they walk away and say not doing it for the price or do they chip the only cost they have any control over? Neithers a good outcome.

Beetlejuice:

Double manning, hanging around Immingham docks for hours, no regular getting up times, you’d hate it beetle :laughing:

robroy:
Love the guys on here who imply that we should be…
‘Ohhh so grateful to have jobs’
and should be
‘Oh so understanding why we should be expected to work for [zb] all and/or take a pay cut’ to keep companies in business.
Jeez H, :unamused:
God help us all, what [zb] chance do we have here.

Jealousy of others who have done better than oneself is a terrible thing and it is exactly what Janos suffers from. His continual use of terms like ‘union fat cats’ and so on demonstrate that. His claims that he would not take a job on Suttons or Ford for £50k (or more) on principle is laughable. Again, it is jealousy in action. His attempts to cover his tracks by somehow blaming the Liverpool dockers of 40 years ago for his hatred of those who happen to be in a union is also laughable. Yet again, it is the politics of envy.

Do you hate train drivers too Janos? By your logic they should happily give up their £55k for 35 hours a week and instead work for half that.

I cannot get my head round the fact that some think that people who are looking at a major wage cut should actually be grateful that they had it good before. These are people who may well have mortgages based on such an income. They may have kid(s) in a private school thanks to it. But no, instead of sticking up for themselves and trying to prevent their lives potentially being turned upside down, they should thank their employer, drop their trousers and metaphorically take it from behind as they meekly accept a 40% wage cut.

Everyone realises that all good things come to an end eventually, but expecting people to roll over and accept it without a fight (except when it affects you, of course) is bizarre behaviour.

albion:

Beetlejuice:

Double manning, hanging around Immingham docks for hours, no regular getting up times, you’d hate it beetle :laughing:

:confused: :laughing:

The sheep are bleating again. Since when was the nineties forty years ago? It is obvious none here have had any real experience of negative union action. The impact of unions in Liverpool is all too obvious, and with the rise of Corbyn, there is a chance they will do it again.
Zzzz, I will say it again for the last time, I have no problem with Suttons paying inflated wages, albeit with a gun to their head, my problem is the people stupid enough to stand in line with the union to protect the workers. Let them sort it out themselves, as the result will have no bearing on your wage. Regardless of what you think. That used to be the mantra of the union in Fords, letting people believe they were fighting for everybody, with their constant strikes. Have you benefited from it? Keep dreaming, it may happen, but you will be waitng a while. As for wanting to work in any heavily unionised place, for any wage, I have too much pride to be part of that. The people are truly awful. As any right thinking person would think. Although, there is lot on here who would fit right in. Bah.

Janos:
As for wanting to work in any heavily unionised place, for any wage, I have too much pride to be part of that. The people are truly awful. As any right thinking person would think. Although, there is lot on here who would fit right in. Bah.

Wtf has pride got to do with anything in that case?

And what a ridiculous generalisation ‘‘The people are truly awful’’. :unamused:

‘‘Any right person would think…’’ yeh, IN YOUR OPINION ONLY.

Yeh I would fit in just fine thanks… in a firm that had got good wages and t.s and c.s , and who did not treat their drivers like ■■■■ on their shoes, BECAUSE of a strong Union presence. :unamused:

Working for unionised labour led by some Trotskyite militant is not for all.

Janos:

And nor should it be. Striving to improve your lot and increasing your and your families financial security however should be. Right up until the point that someone with an agenda wants to take that away from you that is!

Janos:

Or by the same token…working for Unionised labour led by a moderate fair minded Shop steward could be.

Why go to the extreme end of the spectrum to attempt to prove your point? :unamused:

Have another read of Juddians post which illustrates an actual scenario, not a generalised negative stereotype .

You are hopelessly naive if you think Unite is run by moderates, or there is not a Marxist undercurrent to everything they do.

Janos:
You are hopelessly naive if you think Unite is run by moderates, or there is not a Marxist undercurrent to everything they do.

Think I’d rather be naive than be one who has clearly swallowed and regurgitates Thatcherite bull crap.
That said…that could also be classed in the hopelessly naive category. :bulb: