Stobarts Take Home Pay?

Santa:
Maybe someone could make an app - get drivers to post details of their wages each month; salary, allowances etc. Anonymously of course, but naming the employer. It would take a while but the data would be hugely valuable to anyone in the industry.

Those on the better jobs would keep schtum about pay (or more importantly hours spent at work or away from home), just as they do now for a variety of reasons, though i take your point that it would help stop so many being mislead into working for the poorest payers, though you won’t stop some drivers forsaking a proper pay package for a smart lorry and these companies know new well liveried lorries attract enough staff to keep them going.

The elephant in the room is the amount of hours and days still being worked for the figures mentioned.

Goldfinger:
e.g. I know of a ‘very close to where I live’ class 1 job, and that it’s going rate is… (deep breath) £7.75hr! :open_mouth:

What’s stopping you from naming and shaming? That’s not even a decent rate for a van driver in ANY part of the country!

TiredAndEmotional:

Goldfinger:
e.g. I know of a ‘very close to where I live’ class 1 job, and that it’s going rate is… (deep breath) £7.75hr! :open_mouth:

What’s stopping you from naming and shaming? That’s not even a decent rate for a van driver in ANY part of the country!

If he’s in Northumberland as per the info under his username, then it sounds like Ramage, as mentioned on here recently. Surely there can’t be more than one that pays that kind of money… can there?

If everyone puts up rates for any jobs they have heard on here, giving class, overtime rates etc and night out money and depot etc Then a basic spreadsheet could be sorted out… They wouldn’t have to be the rates for the company you work for. And then it could be put up in other forums groups etc. Just an idea. As long as admins would be ok with it.

UKtramp:

biggriffin:
So that’s £480 take after tax and without nites out. Assuming £25 night out money.

night out money is 22.50 per night X 4 = £90
meal allowance is £15 pe day X 5 = £75
wages average 60 hours = £420
Total = £585 take home for 60 hrs + 4 nights out

And they wonder why they can’t get drivers. Terrible pay.

Olog Hai:

TiredAndEmotional:

Goldfinger:

If he’s in Northumberland as per the info under his username, then it sounds like Ramage, as mentioned on here recently. Surely there can’t be more than one that pays that kind of money… can there?

Yes it is Ramage. Didn’t want to post name as I wasn’t sure of the naming and shaming of companies on here… Not like Facebook!!! :open_mouth:

Anthony even offered me a job through someone VERY recently…! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Ner thanks, I’m on a little bit more for an easier job ATM…

Mickey mouse:

UKtramp:

biggriffin:
So that’s £480 take after tax and without nites out. Assuming £25 night out money.

Most things are relative. Most truck driver (including to some extend myself) have no other skills or trade that they could work, other than factory or labouring. And how many of those jobs pay more than minimum wage? Add to that that 12 (or 13-14) hours driving and delivering is a lot less tedious than 8 or 12 hours stuck doing a monotonous job inside, probably surrounded by 'colleagues ', and £550+ in the bank doesn’t sound to bad.

Unless you can get one of those mythical ‘shelf stacker’ jobs that pay £600+ for 30 hours…

the nodding donkey:

Mickey mouse:

UKtramp:

biggriffin:

Most things are relative. Most truck driver (including to some extend myself) have no other skills or trade that they could work, other than factory or labouring. And how many of those jobs pay more than minimum wage? Add to that that 12 (or 13-14) hours driving and delivering is a lot less tedious than 8 or 12 hours stuck doing a monotonous job inside, probably surrounded by 'colleagues ', and £550+ in the bank doesn’t sound to bad.

Unless you can get one of those mythical ‘shelf stacker’ jobs that pay £600+ for 30 hours…

Edit to add. I’m currently salaried £440 a week, 4on-4off. So average 42 hours a week. But we only get £5 per day meal allowance. So that £40-50 a week (no tax) down. You win some, you loose some.

Goldfinger:

the nodding donkey:

Andrejs:

Goldfinger:
OK, it’s a Stobarts thread. But I’m looking at all my options here…

The nearest Stobarts depots to me are either an hour south or an hour west of me.

So, (if you can tell me), what’s the average take home pay, as I’m just trying to work out if they’re worth the travelling / com6muting to…■■?

From 450 till 550 if work 12 hours shift.Tramper get more.

Cdo you want to get home on a Friday?

If I can, I will… If I can’t? Not going to stress about it. Why should I like some people I know, the ‘I MUST GET BACK EVERY FRIDAY!!!’ :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

the I want home on a Friday want to be home because
1 70 hrs in a bloody week is enough
2 they want to do what normal people do all week , spend time with family / freinds
3 the run in money is ■■■■ , you get paid what you do , run in a hour you’ll get £11 + £22.50 , that’s for spending 11 hrs , another night in the lorry and then 1 hr back , 1/2 hr emptying truck , you may think £30 for another night away from your family wonderful ,plenty do , me its ■■■■ , I’m not intrested ,
I think you’ll fit in well , why just run in sat , I’m sure theyl love you and give you a 13 hr shift if you want it :unamused:
I’m 56 , ive done my bloody time in the trenches , I don’t need to and I bloody won’t , and I don’t need you calling me for wanting to spend time with loved ones , Mrs , girl , Bristol rovers

Santa:
Maybe someone could make an app - get drivers to post details of their wages each month; salary, allowances etc. Anonymously of course, but naming the employer. It would take a while but the data would be hugely valuable to anyone in the industry.

Ive done that before and even though it’s in black & white on a stobart pay slip it’s apparently not possible to earn what the pay slip says I do , I mean just read this thread we’ve gone down from £580 take home to £480 take home within a few posts , I’m sure it will be minimum wage or below by Monday
Your wasting your time , if it doesn’t suit a lot of posters agenda on here theyl not have it

dozy:

Santa:

Ive done that before and even though it’s in black & white on a stobart pay slip it’s apparently not possible to earn what the pay slip says I do , I mean just read this thread we’ve gone down from £580 take home to £480 take home within a few posts , I’m sure it will be minimum wage or below by Monday
Your wasting your time , if it doesn’t suit a lot of posters agenda on here theyl not have it

Seriously though, the biggest problem is that people keep comparing apples with oranges. Stobart take home, on average, won’t be much beter or worse than others. People also keep comparing Stobart with (small) family run companies, which are miles apart.
£600 a week is what, £750 odd before tax? That’s about £35000 a year. Not bad, but is it good for working 65+ hours every week, and the loss of a social/home life? Only the individual can make that choice.
Atm I’m earning at least £10.000 a year less than I could earn. But I’m at home 4 days in a row, and only work 4 days. I love the time off, and spending time with my missus. But if that situation was to chance, I’d be back on tramping, maxing my hours.
Stobarts clever use tax free allowance to make the wages look good, but when you devide the money by the hours, it’s only just above minimum wage per hour . It looks good because we do such ridiculous hours. If Stobart drivers were limited to a paid working week of 42 hours (like 4on-4off), they’d be struggling to take home £350.

the nodding donkey:
Stobarts clever use tax free allowance to make the wages look good, but when you devide the money by the hours, it’s only just above minimum wage per hour . It looks good because we do such ridiculous hours. If Stobart drivers were limited to a paid working week of 42 hours (like 4on-4off), they’d be struggling to take home £350.

Not just Stobart who do this, most driving jobs work as you only earn a decent wage maxing out your hours. If you don’t then it is a low wage, you get a choice of sacrifice your home & social life for a decent wage, work out the hours worked and living in your cab all week then it doesn’t look so decent. If they didn’t offer this choice then no one would consider driving for the wages.

UKtramp:

the nodding donkey:

Not just Stobart who do this, most driving jobs work as you only earn a decent wage maxing out your hours. If you don’t then it is a low wage, you get a choice of sacrifice your home & social life for a decent wage, work out the hours worked and living in your cab all week then it doesn’t look so decent. If they didn’t offer this choice then no one would consider driving for the wages.

Hence why I now work for £440 a week.

^^^

To add to that. I work 3 and a half days a week. Not 6. And I get paid every week, even when I only work three days…

Let’s face it folks, the jobs totally ■■■■■■■
No matter how employers dress up their rates of pay they’re ■■■■■ unless you are very very lucky.

Had a brief chat with a guy who was advertising for a class 1 bulker driver (tramping) & the salary was £26k.
& before all the comments start about hours etc etc, the guy expected max hours.
Now forgive me if I’m wrong but for 71 hours that’s £7.04 per hour.
Yeah yeah there’s night out money on top but I dunno if I’m too old for all this ■■■■■■■■ but that rate is shocking.

Just a thought here. Not really connected to stobarts, but are the drivers who complain about doing loads of hours the same type of driver that waste half their day hanging round coffee machines, moaning to any ■■■■ that’ll listen about how ■■■■ everything is? Maybe if they wanted a couple of extra hours off at night they could crack on and do a days work.

I had the misfortune to fuel up at the fleece this week. Is it compulsory to hang around the Costa machine and shout really loudly about how much of a super trucker they really are? Bell ends.

happysack:
Just a thought here. Not really connected to stobarts, but are the drivers who complain about doing loads of hours the same type of driver that waste half their day hanging round coffee machines, moaning to any [zb] that’ll listen about how [zb] everything is? Maybe if they wanted a couple of extra hours off at night they could crack on and do a days work.

I had the misfortune to fuel up at the fleece this week. Is it compulsory to hang around the Costa machine and shout really loudly about how much of a super trucker they really are? Bell ends.

I’m not sure if that comment was aimed at me happysack??
If it was then I can assure you I do ‘crack on’ however I also ‘moan’ because unless you have rose tinted glasses then there’s alot to moan about!
Apologises if it was not aimed at me.

happysack:
Just a thought here. Not really connected to stobarts, but are the drivers who complain about doing loads of hours the same type of driver that waste half their day hanging round coffee machines, moaning to any [zb] that’ll listen about how [zb] everything is? Maybe if they wanted a couple of extra hours off at night they could crack on and do a days work.

Fleece must have been unusually quiet then,
You hardly have time for a PISH before somebody is blasting horn.
Even if you’ve pulled off pumps forward to go in and pay!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

sweet truck haul:

happysack:

I’m not sure if that comment was aimed at me happysack??
If it was then I can assure you I do ‘crack on’ however I also ‘moan’ because unless you have rose tinted glasses then there’s alot to moan about!
Apologises if it was not aimed at me.

want aimed at anyone really. Just an observation ffs

the nodding donkey:

dozy:

Santa:

Seriously though, the biggest problem is that people keep comparing apples with oranges. Stobart take home, on average, won’t be much beter or worse than others. People also keep comparing Stobart with (small) family run companies, which are miles apart.
£600 a week is what, £750 odd before tax? That’s about £35000 a year. Not bad, but is it good for working 65+ hours every week, and the loss of a social/home life? Only the individual can make that choice.
Atm I’m earning at least £10.000 a year less than I could earn. But I’m at home 4 days in a row, and only work 4 days. I love the time off, and spending time with my missus. But if that situation was to chance, I’d be back on tramping, maxing my hours.

You`re making a valid point about comparing apples to oranges etc.
And another good point about some companies using allowances to seem like wages.
I know a lot of people look at the hourly rate, but I prefer not to.-
I want to look at 2 main things:

1. How much cash is going into my bank every year.
  2. How much work I do for this.

Seems simple enough, but there are some good and bad points to this way of thinking.

1. It doesnt matter if the money is from hourly/daily/salary/meals/nights out. It can all be spent the same way! (too quickly normally). Doesnt matter if youre self employed or not, so long as ALL your taxes are taken out before you look at the bottom line. (Holidays paid/not all equals out at years end).
  2. I normally do a lot of nights out. I aint too interested in calculating whether I work 5hrs a day or 15hrs. Im not at home, so thats a days work. Driving or reading a book or drinking (coffee of course!) its all the same after all: Im at work.

I look at how many days I do at work, look at my year`s income, and either moan a lot and look for another job, or moan a little and stay put. Not moaning has never happened yet.

One problem often talked about here is to know whether advertised rates bear any resemblance to actual pay received. That is a worry when changing jobs of course. Apart from asking on here it is difficult to work out in advance.
Some companies offer better pensions/sick pay than others and again it makes it harder to compare/contrast jobs.

Some want to look at just hourly rates, and fine n good, but it doesn`t work too well for me.