St. Ives Sand and Gravel

hello scandiahamn.
i should also mention that all the bodies on the tippers were made by a company called shepard of thetford.
regards gah1950

gah1950:
hello scandiahamn.
i should also mention that all the bodies on the tippers were made by a company called shepard of thetford.
regards gah1950

Hello gah1950,
Thanks for the info and the numbers, most of which I don’t have, the motors nearly always came in batches so I have some numbers close to the ones you posted.

I have found numerous place dotted around the country where St.Ives worked from, a lot were former WW2 airfields when they put the concrete from the runways through the crusher, I didn’t find one for South Wales though, where exactly was the quarry?

Thanks again, all the best,
Nick

hello skandiahamn.
st ives aquired three quarries in south wales ,the biggest one was craig-yr-hesg at pontypridd the second was trehir quarry at caerphilly and the third was sennybridge granite quarry near brecon,another reg i forgot was a dodge 4 wheeler bew 983c.the head man in st ives those days was a taffy called syd morgan,the man in charge of all plant and equipment was joe bugners (boxer) manager a chap called andy smith.
regards gah1950.

skandiahamn:

gah1950:
hello scandiahamn.

I have found numerous place dotted around the country where St.Ives worked from, a lot were former WW2 airfields when they put the concrete from the runways through the crusher, I didn’t find one for South Wales though, where exactly was the quarry?
Hiya lads… if you go to the South wales site that pete359 has go more knowledge of South Wales than you need. also Dave the renagade hes on
Wales boarders but pops on the South Wales site I’am shore they will know.
John

Hiya…heres a nice Foden for you its a rear engined foden two stroke i think this was a 4 cylinder but a 6 cylinder followed
its a pritty smart turnout.its a Harrington wayfairer and was new to Bassetts coachways and was sold in 1990 to a collection.

this is a visitor to Llandudno every year i know its a Leyland Tiger but it has a whizz factor

John

Hiya if you look at the Hoveringham site you will see they used buses to take workers into the gravel pits theres a bus on the
last page and one about half way through the site
John

gah1950:
hello skandiahamn.
st ives aquired three quarries in south wales ,the biggest one was craig-yr-hesg at pontypridd the second was trehir quarry at caerphilly and the third was sennybridge granite quarry near brecon,another reg i forgot was a dodge 4 wheeler bew 983c.the head man in st ives those days was a taffy called syd morgan,the man in charge of all plant and equipment was joe bugners (boxer) manager a chap called andy smith.
regards gah1950.

Cheers for that, it all ties in as Joe Bugner lived in the St.Ives (Huntingdon) area around that time.

Hiya…Foden way i had a sit on this at the weekend a quite rare Burlington seagull. Sorry its a GUY not a Foden with a HLX Gardner.