St Ives Sand and Gravel Co Ltd Cambridgeshire

Would like to ask about memories of St Ives Sand and Gravel Co Ltd of Cambridgeshire. Are there any pictures about of their vehicles of any sort? I remember that the man on the weighbridge used to work for Darby’s of Sutton…a good friend of my fathers, his name unfortunately forgotten. I called in there once (1968ish) to pick up concrete bricks for footings on a site at Dry Drayton being built by a building firm called Birds ( of Fulbourn?) I got stuck in the clay after torrential rain and had to be lifted out by Dickerson’s crane the next day…got sacked, then re-instated at the end of the week with a warning not to let it happen again. That was for Marlow’s of Bury St Edmunds, and I was driving for the Cambridge branch…in East Rd. Used to go up to East Leake near Nottingham for 8 tons of Siraphite plaster at a time in a Ford D800 rigid dropside. They would bring the sacks on two at a time with a sack barrow and lean them forward (as you would load sacks of coal) so the back end of the lorry had nothing on it. It was heavy going getting back!! By the time I had got back to Cambridge the lower sacks were compacted, and it was more struggling carrying the sacks to the storage sheds… 160 of them! I enjoyed the job as I loved the driving to all the sites around the area…just a few distant memories for you all. Norman Long

Norman,

There is a St Ives S& G thread on here that has quite a few pics etc.

If you type St Ives Sand & Gravel into the search forum box at the top of the page it will bring it up.

Regards
Mark

roadcommander2:
Norman,

There is a St Ives S& G thread on here that has quite a few pics etc.

If you type St Ives Sand & Gravel into the search forum box at the top of the page it will bring it up.

Regards
Mark

Thanks very much…found it…still getting used to the sites and how it all works… Norman