South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Hi all,
A pair here from Sweden’s premier truck brand,Volvo.Ran by Shellard’s Transport from Crickhowell.

Hi Andrew
Looking at the photo of North Dock jogged my memory some how
Two of the guys in the front row are vaguely familiar. The one in the bus drivers hat ? and the one wearing glasses who is crouched down.
Maybe I remember them from the canteen in North Dock first stop for a cuppa on the way West from Bridgend with the old man.
I don’t know but it’s certainly rung a few bells in the back of my mind.
Regards Allan (

pete 359:
Hi all,
A pair here from Sweden’s premier truck brand,Volvo.Ran by Shellard’s Transport from Crickhowell.

Hi all. Andrew I don’t remember Shellard’s from Crickhowell. Most haulier’s west of Abergavenny, Brecon and Lampeter area, were normally involved in round timber, sawmill work or livestock and lime spreading! I wonder what Shellard’s did ? Not forgetting, hay, straw and potatoes!
The Deutz of Hills of Cardiff was a surprise.
Talking of Cardiff, I recently watched a couple of you tube videos done by Russel Worthing. A nice one in Queen St, and up at Trefil quarry. Russell was also in Barry Cosslett’s yard in Cilfyndd. He commented on some projects they were working on but didn’t get photos, showing respect for the time they spent showing him around.
However, he did contact GBH1 Graham who sent him a few photos to post.
Hope all is well with you Graham.

Paul

Paul John:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi all. Andrew I don’t remember Shellard’s from Crickhowell. Most haulier’s west of Abergavenny, Brecon and Lampeter area, were normally involved in round timber, sawmill work or livestock and lime spreading! I wonder what Shellard’s did ? Not forgetting, hay, straw and potatoes!
The Deutz of Hills of Cardiff was a surprise.
Talking of Cardiff, I recently watched a couple of you tube videos done by Russel Worthing. A nice one in Queen St, and up at Trefil quarry. Russell was also in Barry Cosslett’s yard in Cilfyndd. He commented on some projects they were working on but didn’t get photos, showing respect for the time they spent showing him around.
However, he did contact GBH1 Graham who sent him a few photos to post.
Hope all is well with you Graham.

Paul

Hi Paul,
Hope you’re well mate.Thanks for the reply.Maybe Shellard’s worked out of Ebbw Vale? A big place back then,compared to what’s left of our steel industry now.

Hi all,
A few BRS motors here…

pete 359:
Hi all,
A few BRS motors here…

Phil Humphries drove the ERF out of Newport depot who sadly passed away last summer.

Scania81 I’m gutted to hear Phil Humphries passed away years ago when I was on for catnic me and Phil got ti know Phil really well had some real good nights out lowton labour club east lancs brilliant blokerip phill boy a gutted èrowly ward

Scania81 I’m gutted to hear Phil Humphries passed away years ago when I was on for catnic me and Phil got ti know Phil really well had some real good nights out lowton labour club east lancs brilliant blokerip phill boy a gutted èrowly ward

rward:

Morning Rward,
If you go on Paul Gees collection a few weeks ago you will see a photo of Phil driving a Maggie Deutz for Gerry Jones.
I was on the Rest Assured contract with him for a while and have a photo of us in Brs Barnsley dropping off all the fleet when the factory moved to Batley from Wales in 1996.Try and dig it out,later we went on the Nacanco and continental can job.
As you say a good man and a laugh.
Dai

Hi all,
A couple here courtesy of Aled Jones,Taken by him,probably 30 years ago now? The aircraft picture was taken near St.Mary Hill at Junction 35 M4 and the Police ■■■■■■ photo is taken at Sarn,junction 36.

This is a Colin Knapp photo,taken in S W Bowkett’s yard in mid 80s.An AEC MK3 Mammoth Major used for derv storage.
He gave me permission to post it on here after I told him how full of info you Sth Wales lads were. He’d like to know what happened to it,anybody know? It could possibly be ex Harold Wood,Smith and Robinson or A E Evans as it had an oval fleet number plate on front offside by looks of it.

Chris Webb:
This is a Colin Knapp photo,taken in S W Bowkett’s yard in mid 80s.An AEC MK3 Mammoth Major used for derv storage.
He gave me permission to post it on here after I told him how full of info you Sth Wales lads were. He’d like to know what happened to it,anybody know? It could possibly be ex Harold Wood,Smith and Robinson or A E Evans as it had an oval fleet number plate on front offside by looks of it.

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the picture,Colin has taken some great photos from all over the uk on his travels and very kindly shares them with us all.I wouldn’t know anything about this AEC,sorry.Amazing the things you could do,years ago,in a different time.I noticed our fine? First minister has decided against an M4 relief road around Newport.They can talk about not doing it forever,though ultimately,it will have to be built …
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

Chris Webb:

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the picture,Colin has taken some great photos from all over the uk on his travels and very kindly shares them with us all.I wouldn’t know anything about this AEC,sorry.Amazing the things you could do,years ago,in a different time.I noticed our fine? First minister has decided against an M4 relief road around Newport.They can talk about not doing it forever,though ultimately,it will have to be built …
Regards Andrew.

Thanks Andrew. So the relief road would by-pass those tunnels then? That Coldra island was busy especially rush hours,seen one or two near misses on there in me time. :open_mouth: :smiley:

Chris Webb:

pete 359:

Chris Webb:

Hi Chris,
Regards Andrew.

Thanks Andrew. So the relief road would by-pass those tunnels then? That Coldra island was busy especially rush hours,seen one or two near misses on there in me time. :open_mouth: :smiley:

Hi Chris,
Afaiaa the proposed route would If you were traveling from the west and heading east,start near Tredegar Park then going over the top of Newport docks and running south of what’s now left of Llanwern steelworks.After that it would go over the Gwent levels and link up with the M4 near the second seven crossing.The first minister turned it down on environmental and cost grounds.A ridiculous decision imo and at a massive cost to South Wales industry.
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

Chris Webb:

pete 359:

Chris Webb:

Hi Chris,
Regards Andrew.

Hi Chris,
Afaiaa the proposed route would If you were traveling from the west and heading east,start near Tredegar Park then going over the top of Newport docks and running south of what’s now left of Llanwern steelworks.After that it would go over the Gwent levels and link up with the M4 near the second seven crossing.The first minister turned it down on environmental and cost grounds.A ridiculous decision imo and at a massive cost to South Wales industry.
Regards Andrew.

To be fair, he was damned if he did and damned if he didn’t, It’s very un-Labour not to spend money though, but surely he’s made the wrong decision for the entire industry and economy for South Wales west of the tunnels, so I think it may be a case of anyone west of the tunnels, given today’s news on the Bridgend Ford plant, the outlook on Port Talbot plant, last one out, turn the lights off! As far as environment issues, you only have to look at all the tree’s and wildlife surviving alongside our motorways, never seen so many red kites and sadly road kill of badgers, foxes, even a couple of Deer by the roadside - I’m off to go hug a tree maybe the first minister will be there too! Si

Hi all ,how much more do they want ,no relief road now fords Bridgend shutting sept 2020 and government won’t help our industry and country going to the dogs it’s a shame for the hard working people out there

Hi all,
Here a couple of D.J.Davies of Pencader.I think the first two might be Ron Weatherall photos? I also think that second 2800 was an ex P&O unit?

A couple of pics

image.jpeg

Pete 359
Hi Coop
I think you could be on the money re: the origin of the second DAF.
PU is an Essex registration and would fit in with the P&O/ Thomas Allen connection
Regards Allan*

A couple of pics 2nd plc coastal roadways

image.jpeg