South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

pete 359:
Hi all,
A couple here courtesy of Aled Jones,Taken by him,probably 30 years ago now? The aircraft picture was taken near St.Mary Hill at Junction 35 M4 and the Police ■■■■■■ photo is taken at Sarn,junction 36.

Hi Andrew / Looks like an old NCK Eiger maybe Short Bros. ?

wales sw bowkett1.PNG

wales sw bowkett.PNG

Hi all,
A few of us had our annual Kelvin Powell memorial run this weekend,meeting up in Shropshire on Friday night.After breakfast at the fantastic Lazy Trout,we headed south to Porthcawl.We all had a magnificent time,in memory of a very dear and hugely respected member of the South Wales Road haulage industry.R.I.P. Powell mate.

A few from our 2019 Fog On The Tyne for Kelvin run.

471D06B1-08C7-448E-AB42-CE7037BAF607.jpeg

pete 359:
Hi all,
A few here of Fishguard based W.F.Hall and son.

Hi Pete.
Searched net for WF Halls Fishgurad and surprised to see they had gone out of business 2011.
I worked for an Irish Company Williames transport Group late 1960s mid 1970s. I was based at Trafford Park Manchester mainly cross the channel at Stranrae to Larne for the North and Fishguard Rosslare for the South. Many a time I would swap trailers at Fishguard Harbour or Halls yard, Halls had an arrangement with Williames to take care of our trailers to put on and off ship and sort out the Irish water notes then C273s. One time I was talking to Bill Hall (Willie) and mentioned what a nice place Fishguard is to live and there is a job waiting when I move. My wife was with me on this trip and she was born Aberystwyth and said let’s get sold up and move. Problem was her parents at the time lived in Manchester and both in bad health so we never moved.
(Photo of Williames being pulled by Woodside Brothers unit, was taken about mid 1980s long after I left) Williames had depots Belfast Dublin Cork and Shannon. IFSGroup had taken over the Airfreight side and the general Groupage local deliveries were sold off to BEES transport Hinckley.
Cheers Kev

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f63[1].jpg

13202432-1[1].jpg

Hi kevmorrow,courtesy of deans page this is halls now they are hall&roche

1 for Paul John and Jakey.
Davis Street Cardiff now housing.
This truck was driven by Ken Walters on Avana bakeries contract.

Thank you DAI , but I crooked my neck looking at the Merc , its lovely ,that is the Brs livery I like .

smallcoal:
Hi all ,how much more do they want ,no relief road now fords Bridgend shutting sept 2020 and government won’t help our industry and country going to the dogs it’s a shame for the hard working people out there

That’s the dumb arse politicians for you John. As Andrew said a ridiculous decision at a massive cost to what’s left of industry in South Wales. Fourty years ago it was the same story on the Heads of the Valleys. The people who have worked the hardest to survive will be up against it once again. Doesn’t anyone learn from previous mistakes?

Regards Paul

scania81:

You having trouble chap. :wink:

DEANB:

scania81:

You having trouble chap. :wink:

Cheers Dean,
Down loaded off someone else,s ipad and went wrong.
The building behind also had a pickford,s office and BRS Taskforce agency .

Hi all,
One of several JR ERF’s that they once ran.Fast forward thirty years and a Ronnie S.Evans MAN.

pete 359:

Some cracking pics Andrew. Heres a bit about Wynns. :wink:

Click on pages twice to read.

DEANB:

pete 359:

Some cracking pics Andrew. Heres a bit about Wynns. :wink:

Click on pages twice to read.

Hi Dean,
Thanks for the Pacific article,phenomenal machine in their day.Built by WYNNS at Albany Street Newport.

0C92A848-526F-4FFA-A9E7-45EC91461E23.jpeg

scania81:

It’s a reflection in a puddle ? :wink:

Hi all. Dai thanks for the photo in my old neighbourhood. Its a small world I tell you.
I was heading back to Orlando today from Valdosta Ga and passed a Peterbilt tractor with a real nice red dragon on it. It was black and had a union jack on the roof fairing. Fair play it looked really smart.
I called the guy on the CB but no answer. I had to go through the scale house and he got the by-pass. I tried waving to him with the mic in my hand and he did see me.
He said he was from Cardiff, but just as I caught back up with him he took Interstate 10 to Jacksonville. It was to dangerous to stop on the hard shoulder for photos for either of us. Shame really as it would of been good to chat, someone on here might well of known him. I didn’t have a chance to get his name as someone was stepping on us. He was either an owner operator or leased contractor with Knight Transportation of Phoenix Arizona. Its a big outfit, a spin off of Swift one of the big three players here.
I seldom talk on the CB, but it is good to be warned of wrecks or other traffic issues.

Paul

Tom the Taxi Driver.
From Kildare ?

Mrsteel:
Tom the Taxi Driver.
From Kildare ?

Hi Mrsteel. I was unable to hear his name as someone was interrupting us. Now he said Cardiff, but I often tell people here I’m from Cardiff. If I was to say I’m from Abertysswg at the heads of the Rhymney valley they would think I was some kind of alien.
Now in my defense I married a Cardiff girl and spent the last three years living in Splott before emigrating to the States, but I am a Valley boy for sure.

Paul

One. For scania81

image.jpeg