South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Great Find Andrew :wink:

very clear pic of the E.R.F. :wink: Somebody must know/ recognise driver

E.W.

Hi all,
A few here courtesy of John Morgan.That 6x4 F12 moved a phenomenal amount of plant to and from South Wales…

Looking through some books came across this can’t make out the company artic

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A couple of Owens

Thanks 240 gardener it has turned out nice it will b at a show before long hopefully regards rowly7

Mordav Seddon Atkinson.

wales mordav1.PNG

Paul John:

pete 359:
Hi all,
Believed to be amongst the last Scammell ever built at Tolpits Lane Watford,Owned by Westland Coal.

Hi all. Andrew, did Westland own the Scammell? Andrew Williams, Adrian’s son was running the company in the late eighties. They both have the same initials A.J. Williams. The transport section was sold by Adrian to his brotherinlaw who was based in Hirwaun. At that time they had 3 or 4 Scammells ( old type) painted white and maroon, previous to that two 8 wheel Atkinson’s with Gardner 180s and the same K&J Withey bodies as in the photo. They were based in Merthyr and brought coal into Rhymney railway yard which was loaded for the docks in Cardiff. They were big exporters and mostly subbed their transport out, but were bigger than most people would of realised.
Seems as if they are still in business with an address in Briton Ferry.

Paul

Hi Paul,
I will be with ■■■■ Westcott tomorrow,I’ll ask him,he ran tippers on the coal for years.
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

Great shot Andrew ! This motor would still have been flying bout, sorry crawling about in S. Wales when we used to be down with the Brady Octopus but of course they weren’t in the pristine condition of the Prosser AEC, oh! no! they were dropping to pieces and just ran around on local work. Happy days Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

pete 359:

Great shot Andrew ! This motor would still have been flying bout, sorry crawling about in S. Wales when we used to be down with the Brady Octopus but of course they weren’t in the pristine condition of the Prosser AEC, oh! no! they were dropping to pieces and just ran around on local work. Happy days Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis,
Good to hear from you mate.Rosser of Pontlliw were a daily sight on South Wales’s roads.Now Entress,they were another league,at their peak you saw them everywhere in the U.K. every day.I think the 1979 steel strike finished them?

Hi all,
I found these two images somewhere online.The first looks like a welsh registered Hills of Cardiff Magirus deutz and the second image is I think a pair of Welsh BRS motors,maybe?

E067CC1F-DB2E-47FE-B954-61F0C50758CE.jpeg

pete 359:
Hi all,
I found these two images somewhere online.The first looks like a welsh registered Hills of Cardiff Magirus deutz and the second image is I think a pair of Welsh BRS motors,maybe?

I remember brs had a depot in johnstown carmarthen where smiths mechanical are now.they used to have a few 81s

Well I cant remember hills with a maggi and didn’t Bob drive for johnstone brs moved to Lawton lands? Regards rowly

Lowton lands I mentioned regards rowly

pete 359:
Hi all,

Got the 81,s photo and my hunch that they were Bridgewater based.
Could be Fleet services and i spent most of the summer holidays and Friday, Saturday night going all over in the sister LAA 983T.
Dai

scania81:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Got the 81,s photo and my hunch that they were Bridgewater based.
Could be Fleet services

and i spent most of the summer holidays and Friday, Saturday night going all over in the sister

LAA 983T.
Dai

That sounds so wrong.

Pete 359
Hi coop
Looking at the post on page 698 of the Welsh brs motors and the last but one is of an Octopus tipping at what looks a car plant.
Don’t know if i’ve mentioned it before but my ‘old man’ , Curley Bill drove it at one time (GDW 501)
Used to go with him as a kid. One run was to Pressed Steel in Oxford and he would go to digs in Kidlington at Auntie Harriets. While he was in bed I would spend time with her children
The motor would be tipped and reloaded with scrap for the Abbey.
Priceless memories !!

Mrsteel:
Pete 359
Hi coop
Looking at the post on page 698 of the Welsh brs motors and the last but one is of an Octopus tipping at what looks a car plant.
Don’t know if i’ve mentioned it before but my ‘old man’ , Curley Bill drove it at one time (GDW 501)
Used to go with him as a kid. One run was to Pressed Steel in Oxford and he would go to digs in Kidlington at Auntie Harriets. While he was in bed I would spend time with her children
The motor would be tipped and reloaded with scrap for the Abbey.
Priceless memories !!

Hi Alan,
Nothing can ever take those memories away! Here courtesy of Bryndon Evans is a photo of some of the Swansea BRS drivers.I dare say Curly Bill ran with a good few of them? I’d guess,mid to late 1950’s?