South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

73C46E66-50DE-4ABD-9CF4-402B457601BA.jpg

1F05F4AF-33A9-4745-A30C-DC65CAF3CB41.jpeg

Hi all,
Four photos here,courtesy of Luke Gibbon.They were ran by his late father and worked mainly out of British Steel at Panteg near Pontypool.

Hi all,
Some great photos here courtesy of member EC14.Williams Bros.Cross Hands.A big fleet in their day.

Pete359,

Those Williams Bros Cross hands Pictures take me back, we were always helping each other out us at the Ford Dealership in Crosshands and them with something or other.

Remember vividly one day in my young apprentice days where we had a D1000 Tandem for MOT Inspection and our steam jennie gave up the Ghost so I get carted up to Williams Six way as they were known to use their out door ramp & equipment to wash the truck’s Chassis etc, thinking that if I held the lance against the wall getting me drenched in the process that I would get sent home early! :laughing: Got sent home alright to change my clothes……. :unamused: Lesson learnt all those years ago probably approaching 42 yrs!!

Great pic’s thanks.

E.W.

Hey Andrew, remember this Motor, well before the next owner put a detached bungalow on the back :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

40476424-C658-41BF-9B14-85288945BA33.jpeg

Hi all,gullivers truck rental are no more they gone bust one of our boys took a tractor unit back yesterday gates locked security there signed paperwork told just dump truck anywhere in yard all staff gone all firms told to return vehicles

Hi Graham,
Thanks m8,great days,seems so long ago now,when I first met “the comical guy from Northampton with the marathon “…

smallcoal:
Hi all,gullivers truck rental are no more they gone bust one of our boys took a tractor unit back yesterday gates locked security there signed paperwork told just dump truck anywhere in yard all staff gone all firms told to return vehicles

Well John, its with sadness I read this post. Lets hope a buyer can be found and the jobs and business saved.
I believe Gabe and his sons would of done as much as possible to save the business.

Paul

Old advert from 1964.

wales 1964 a.PNG

Hi all,
A few here courtesy of Chris Richards.They came along in very large numbers,very quickly,some say they did more damage to the Steel haulage industry than anything and everything that came before them.Then all of a sudden,as quickly as they came,they were gone.Merlin Distribution,I think they were a part of The Heron Group?

pete 359:
Hi all,
A few here courtesy of Chris Richards.They came along in very large numbers,very quickly,some say they did more damage to the Steel haulage industry than anything and everything that came before them.Then all of a sudden,as quickly as they came,they were gone.Merlin Distribution,I think they were a part of The Heron Group?

Hi Andrew,you’re right there they did damage the industry ,all there gear was bought by the steel pension fund that’s why they sold the trailers to pay back the pension pot ,they brought in the posts the timbers and the strapping in ,hi Paul John all the staff been laid off reading the gullivers page on google they been in trouble since November they got no buyer so they have ceased trading I know it’s bad news before Christmas,merry Christmas and happy new year to you and the family

A few here of T.D.Williams’ fleet,many years ago…

smallcoal:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi Andrew,you’re right there they did damage the industry ,all there gear was bought by the steel pension fund that’s why they sold the trailers to pay back the pension pot ,they brought in the posts the timbers and the strapping in ,hi Paul John all the staff been laid off reading the gullivers page on google they been in trouble since November they got no buyer so they have ceased trading I know it’s bad news before Christmas,merry Christmas and happy new year to you and the family

Hi John/Andrew,
Merlin had a depot in Haywards yard in Walsall then moved to old Vono factory in Dudley Port, I done a day for them and had one of those horrible Fodens the same as in Chris’s 1st pic, gaffers wanted you to race about but I ain’t one to go on a job and cut it up for the regular lads so we parted company after the first day!
As you both say they had a bit of a name for rate cutting, I heard they was running Shotton to Port Talbot for £120.00 ?!, Cheer’s Pete

Hiya Pete,merry Christmas to you, yes I shunted for Merlins in pt they liked to get there money’s worth out of you I been to the both Midlands depots on nights all wagons were double manned they had two way radios in the works which us shunters had to have one each so they could keep in touch with you :smiling_imp: cheers John

pete smith:

smallcoal:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi John/Andrew,
Merlin had a depot in Haywards yard in Walsall then moved to old Vono factory in Dudley Port, I done a day for them and had one of those horrible Fodens the same as in Chris’s 1st pic, gaffers wanted you to race about but I ain’t one to go on a job and cut it up for the regular lads so we parted company after the first day!
As you both say they had a bit of a name for rate cutting, I heard they was running Shotton to Port Talbot for £120.00 ?!, Cheer’s Pete

Hi Pete,
I recall one of the Merlin Midlands drivers had a bad accident heading home one night.From memory he was between Wentwood picnic area and Usk when a car travelling south bound on the north bound carriageway had a head on with him,I think the car driver was killed?
Regards Andrew.

Hi all, John Merry Xmas to you and your family. Andrew, Merry Xmas to you and your family and everyone and their families here.
It was four years ago I spent Xmas in the U.K., time fly’s by. I’m working tomorrow off Wednesday, Xmas and boxing day together. Taking time off over New Year so not all bad.
Just picked up some tickets for Tom Jones in Orlando, May 2019. Listening to the Manic Street Preachers, and Stereophonics as I type. That’s about as Welsh as it gets around here, although hoping to meet up with my mate from Dai Bootsy’s home town to sample the Stella later today.

Cheers all, Paul

Paul John:
Hi all, John Merry Xmas to you and your family. Andrew, Merry Xmas to you and your family and everyone and their families here.
It was four years ago I spent Xmas in the U.K., time fly’s by. I’m working tomorrow off Wednesday, Xmas and boxing day together. Taking time off over New Year so not all bad.
Just picked up some tickets for Tom Jones in Orlando, May 2019. Listening to the Manic Street Preachers, and Stereophonics as I type. That’s about as Welsh as it gets around here, although hoping to meet up with my mate from Dai Bootsy’s home town to sample the Stella later today.

Cheers all, Paul

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your comments.Have a wonderful Christmas everyone.Here are some Middle East shots from Clive Fell from Newport.

Hi all,
Some more of Clive fell’s Bassaleg based fleet here.