South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Hi all,
I heard the sad news yesterday that Mark James of N&A James Nantgaredig had passed away.A keen rally driver,Mark had a nasty crash in his Mk2 ■■■■■■ in the Isle of Man during early November.A sad loss to all who knew him.R.I.P. Mark…

DEANB:
Advert from 1965.

Hi Dean,
That building is still there to this day.It’s Keltruck Scania Cardiff.Regarding the Tony Morgan Marathon Contractor,afaiaa the truck never got completed and was scrapped.

pete smith:

pete 359:
Hi all
A classic WYNNS shot here…

Morning Andrew,
How would that trailer get round tight corners, seems a bit early to have a lot of steering axles?
Hats off to those Heavy Haulage lads,a work of art how they got through town centre’s before they were by-passed? Cheer’s Pete

Hi Pete,
Tbh I wondered about that.Amazing really to see how heavy haulage has evolved,some of the latest trailers are astonishing.
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

DEANB:
Advert from 1965.

Hi Dean,
That building is still there to this day.It’s Keltruck Scania Cardiff.Regarding the Tony Morgan Marathon Contractor,afaiaa the truck never got completed and was scrapped.

Thanks for the reply Andrew,shame about the Contractor.

Alan Price Foden from Bargoed.

Click on page twice for better view.

Hi all,
This early Berliet TR280 was based in Bassaleg and did a few Middle East trips…

Hi all,
Here’s a Wynford North Transcon and a Welsh registered BRS Guy Big J…

Hi all,
A few here from Newport based companies.A Kelvedon Transport Marathon,John Wynn driving a Contractor out of their former yard and a Scania parked at The Total in Zeebrugge…

361D8F57-C2B5-4917-BCC5-4FF3729C4104.jpeg

Hi all,
A lovely night time shot here of Joint’s one and only DAF 95,G273 KTH.Picture Courtesy of Mark Gredzinski…

D0976CA7-8A09-4A75-96DE-7B6DFCF9D57E.jpeg

pete 359:

pete smith:

pete 359:
Hi all

Morning Andrew,
How would that trailer get round tight corners, seems a bit early to have a lot of steering axles?
Hats off to those Heavy Haulage lads,a work of art how they got through town centre’s before they were by-passed? Cheer’s Pete

Hi Pete,
Tbh I wondered about that.Amazing really to see how heavy haulage has evolved,some of the latest trailers are astonishing.
Regards Andrew.

Evening Andrew,
In essence those types of trailers didn,t like corners and it was mostly down to a drivers skill and knowledge of little tricks to get in and out of tight places, Surprisingly the bigger trailers such as girder frames were more agile in the tighter places than conventional trailers. Forced steering is a must in my opinion as i done the job with dinasour tackle as well as modern tackle. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

gah1950:

pete 359:

pete smith:

pete 359:
Hi all

Morning Andrew,

Hi Pete,
Regards Andrew.

Evening Andrew,
In essence those types of trailers didn,t like corners and it was mostly down to a drivers skill and knowledge of little tricks to get in and out of tight places, Surprisingly the bigger trailers such as girder frames were more agile in the tighter places than conventional trailers. Forced steering is a must in my opinion as i done the job with dinasour tackle as well as modern tackle. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Hi Graham. Nice to see your post, great photos as always here. Hope you are keeping busy, its silly season here at the U.S. Postal Service.
Christmas comes every year, and these guys are never prepared. These clowns couldn’t organize a ■■■■ up in a brewery, probably have a better chance of Santa delivering presents himself.
Take care,
Paul

Hi all,
A few oldies here,an E14 from T and R.Phillips.An ERF B series From Isaac Caswell’s fleet and an Atki Searcher? New to John Raymond,a few welsh hauliers bought 6x2 units at that time,in anticipation of the GTW increase,which didn’t happen until 1983.The Atki is seen here after being sold on,pulling a very unusual trailer…

A big thanks to member Ray Smyth for a very kind pm.Another three here,firstly a GUY Big J from B.A.Rogers,A new MAN from David Howells Transport and an F10 from Charles Footman.

635A2E11-3B23-4749-9EB2-B6FE521CDE76.jpeg

Hi all,
A couple of Tony Morgan’s mighty Scammell here.

Classic WYNNS shot here…,

6BC58E07-B33C-4FE9-8FF2-22530F2C0986.jpeg

Wynns Scania 1976.

DEANB:

Hi Dean,
Thanks for those two images.W.T.Davies were a big firm,in their day.Theres a Land Rover dealership on what was their Hadfield Road yard,these days.Here is another classic WYNNS shot…,

A4EA20AB-14C2-49CB-B468-1375B133D9D4.jpeg