South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Dont know if any of you will remember this fire.

Leyland Journal 1965.

Click on page twice to read.

Ianto full pelt:

pete 359:
Hi all,
I had this picture kindly sent via a customer,who’s related to John Morgan,the M in J&M.Taken I’d say long before the days of health and safety.Looks to me like a SCOW Atki,possibly SDW 903,which J&M did buy,I first remember seeing it as a kid in the 70’s,known as “The Abbey shunter”,driven by the legend,Arthur “Big A” Underhill.I think? my father had his job at Jones Motors after Arthur left for pastures new. Everyone in South Wales road transport then, knew Arthur,a great man imo.R.I.P.

Hello Andrew . I remember seeing the big A heading towards Porthcawl on his mobility scooter ! some years ago .

Hi Ianto,
The Big A.is sadly no longer with us.Smallcoal,yes he was Ian’s father.I still see Ian fairly regularly through rugby.Deanb,thanks for the article.Whilst I don’t remember that particular incident,I’ve heard of some terrible accidents underground.
Here is a Crusader that’s owned by my good friend,Rob Wilson from Pontypool.Been a part of his Scammell collection for 15 plus years that I know of.Seen here at work many years ago with SCOTT’s from Port Talbot.

Hi Andrew,tell Ian I said hello ,here’s another shot in Scott’s yard ,my school friend I grew up with his father drove the fuel bowser for them,where this is there’s is now a housing estate

Hi Andrew, a few that will have made the trip south…

A2B66420-EA41-4A38-87CF-1A7750602ADA.jpeg

Pre BSC Shotton!

Down graded to shunting

W

E

Nice restoration, wonder is it the old no.6 shutter, new to the show scene this year I think

60708AD0-80C0-4245-A212-59E918C88205.jpeg

Was it Geoff, John Wards mate who had the sprostons trucks at the shows in the 90.s…■■?

steelboyf10:
Nice restoration, wonder is it the old no.6 shutter, new to the show scene this year I think

Hi Graham,
I think that this Sed Ak was never in the BSC fleet, I may be wrong, it is early, but I’m sure I have read it somewhere!
Cracking set of pics by the way, that Octopus of John Summers must have been taken when it was nearly new as those bodies took a hammering off the back loads of scrap bales they used to load! Cheer’s Pete

steelboyf10:
Was it Geoff, John Wards mate who had the sprostons trucks at the shows in the 90.s…■■?

Good morning GB,
Great photos m8.Wasn@t it Jack Sproston? Turned up at an event loaded with coil one year…
Regards Andrew.

Hi all,
Two great Wynns shots here.Found online…

9930E580-FF7C-4992-AD3D-8003D2E3C70A.jpeg

pete 359:

Hi yes my dad is still going strong 77 now still drives his leyland 7.5 ton showing his vintage tractors. Yeah we had scammells ,roadtrains,marathons, finished off with a pair of fodens.
download/file.php?id=171093&mode=view

Hi all,
A classic Transcon photo here,A Caerphilly based member on here will like this…

Hi all,
I dont think ive seen this shot of the Tony Morgan Marathon Contractor before? was a shame it was never finished…

pete 359:
Hi all,
I dont think ive seen this shot of the Tony Morgan Marathon Contractor before? was a shame it was never finished…

What happened to it Andrew ,was it scrapped ?

Advert from 1965.

Hi all
A classic WYNNS shot here…

pete 359:
Hi all
A classic WYNNS shot here…

Morning Andrew,
How would that trailer get round tight corners, seems a bit early to have a lot of steering axles?
Hats off to those Heavy Haulage lads,a work of art how they got through town centre’s before they were by-passed? Cheer’s Pete