South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Hi all,
I heard the sad news earlier that Gareth Thomas has sadly passed away.A gentleman from the haulage industry.I first met Gareth in 1989 when he subbed to Joint Motorways with his beloved Transcon.Many years later,we regularly attended truck events and had some wonderful times together.our deepest condolences to Brenda and their family during this dreadful period.R.I.P. From Harry and I mate,legends never die…

59FC30A9-16BD-496E-960E-EA2DE552BBDC.jpeg

Shocked and sad to here about Gareth a true lorry man condolences to his family Lance :frowning:

Wynns heavy haulage brochure.

Click on pages twice to read.

wynns bro.jpg

wynns bro1.jpg

wynns bro2.jpg

wynns bro3.jpg

wynns bro4.jpg

wynns bro5.jpg

wynns bro6.jpg

wynns bro7.jpg

wynns bro8.jpg

wynns bro9.jpg

wynns bro10.jpg

wynns bro11.jpg

wynns bro12.jpg

wynns bro13.jpg

wynns bro14.jpg

wynns bro15.jpg

wynns bro16.jpg

wynns bro17.jpg

wynns bro18.jpg

wynns bro19.jpg

wynns bro20.jpg

wynns bro22.jpg

Hi all ,came across these old pics and adverts for the abbey works

smallcoal:
Hi all ,came across these old pics and adverts for the abbey works

Hi Smallcoal,
Interesting photos of The Abbey there.I wasn’t aware the stockyard was originally behind the old conveyors.I can only vaguely remember ships unloading there.The deep water harbour was fully open by the time I really remember the works during the 1970’s…

Hi Andrew,a few more 2nd pic is an ariel shot ,3rd is the Coke ovens with coal wagons ,it don’t look like this today steel company of Wales we’re proud and tidy ,till it was taken over then went downhill

image.jpeg

Hi all,
Maldwyn Davies had a fine fleet based near Hirwaun for many years…

Happy new year to all on trucknet :smiley:

Hi all,
Happy new year everyone.10 years after Dave The Renegade (r.i.p.) first started this thread.we have had some fantastic photos and information shared.Long may this continue.First post of 2019 for me is Courtesy of Dave Phillips,who’s father owned Bassalleg Transport near Newport many years ago…

Hi all,
A couple here from Evans and Williams’ fine fleet.Gareth Thomas’s funeral is at Narberth crematorium 11/01/19 at 2.45 pm. R.I.P. Gareth.

Hi all,
No idea on which depot? Though here is,I think? A Cardiff depot MK5 Mandator.Always have loved the look of the MK5 AEC,an iconic truck imo…

My misses just showed me on Facebook new law come in 24 drivers been done in Scotland for having curtain on side of window and pelmets on front is a gv9 offence ,they reckon it obstructing drivers side and front view dvsa sad ■■■■■ spoiling it for drivers again came into force 1/1/19 :unamused: :unamused: :smiling_imp:

smallcoal:
My misses just showed me on Facebook new law come in 24 drivers been done in Scotland for having curtain on side of window and pelmets on front is a gv9 offence ,they reckon it obstructing drivers side and front view dvsa sad [zb] spoiling it for drivers again came into force 1/1/19 :unamused: :unamused: :smiling_imp:

Hi John, hardly a ‘new’ law, just the DVSA / VOSA enforcing the current requirements of visibility for drivers. We had an MOT failure for a sticker in the windscreen, it was too large apparently, once it was removed, we had a pass, we also got stopped on the M6 going back a good few years ago, driver had a ‘dream catcher’ hanging in the windscreen, they put a GV9 on it, and lifted it as soon as the driver removed it ?!!

vanman99:

smallcoal:
My misses just showed me on Facebook new law come in 24 drivers been done in Scotland for having curtain on side of window and pelmets on front is a gv9 offence ,they reckon it obstructing drivers side and front view dvsa sad [zb] spoiling it for drivers again came into force 1/1/19 :unamused: :unamused: :smiling_imp:

Hi John, hardly a ‘new’ law, just the DVSA / VOSA enforcing the current requirements of visibility for drivers. We had an MOT failure for a sticker in the windscreen, it was too large apparently, once it was removed, we had a pass, we also got stopped on the M6 going back a good few years ago, driver had a ‘dream catcher’ hanging in the windscreen, they put a GV9 on it, and lifted it as soon as the driver removed it ?!!

Hi Simon,
You are 100% correct there mate.A customer of ours had a driver prosecuted for curtains and a dash table in his cab,several years ago now,the Facebook article,relating to the curtain law was a good few years old…
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:
Hi all,
No idea on which depot? Though here is,I think? A Cardiff depot MK5 Mandator.Always have loved the look of the MK5 AEC,an iconic truck imo…

You are correct Andrew GA was Cardiff and looks like parked up at Ferry Road.
Dai

Article from 1966.

Click on pages twice to read.