South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

TIDDERSON:
A few more of Ebbw Vale. One shows the street outside if that helps

Hi Tidderson,
Thanks for the photos,tbh it’s still recognisable now,probably fifty plus years after those pictures were taken.Afaiaa Morgan’s are still trading? They run DAF now I think?
Regards Andrew.

Hi all.
Dennis, to be honest I cant remember the model. Over the years all the vans had nicknames. I never actually saw that van as I wasn’t born when the business was started. I just remember photo’s my grandparents showed me as I became a car/van/ truck fanatic at a very young age. Iirc this van was called old Lizzie. I doubt very much if it was brand new, and I’ll be 58 this year so Andrews estimate of the photo being 50 years old is probably spot on!
Pete, I remember A40 cars but not vans, but those were made much later.
My father and later his brothers who joined him were loyal to Austin and Morris with A35s,55s, J4s, Oxfords and Cambridge’s cars and estates or shooting breaks as I remember them being called, along with Morris 1000s and loads of Threepennybits , J2s and others that escape me. As time went on they did buy new, the smell of those new vehicles will stay with me forever. Mind you they were all worked hard and seldom sold on as they were knackered when they laid them to rest.

Regards Paul

pete 359:
Hi all,
For sheer presence and a quality look,i always used to admire the W.G.Davies fleet…

Hi Andrew…love these pictures!, …did he used to be in artillery !.. :laughing: :laughing:

closest Shones got was this one

IMG_1344.JPG

Paul John:
Hi all.
Dennis, to be honest I cant remember the model. Over the years all the vans had nicknames. I never actually saw that van as I wasn’t born when the business was started. I just remember photo’s my grandparents showed me as I became a car/van/ truck fanatic at a very young age. Iirc this van was called old Lizzie. I doubt very much if it was brand new, and I’ll be 58 this year so Andrews estimate of the photo being 50 years old is probably spot on!
Pete, I remember A40 cars but not vans, but those were made much later.
My father and later his brothers who joined him were loyal to Austin and Morris with A35s,55s, J4s, Oxfords and Cambridge’s cars and estates or shooting breaks as I remember them being called, along with Morris 1000s and loads of Threepennybits , J2s and others that escape me. As time went on they did buy new, the smell of those new vehicles will stay with me forever. Mind you they were all worked hard and seldom sold on as they were knackered when they laid them to rest.

Regards Paul

All the A40 ranges Paul; en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_A40

Pete.

Hi Pete, thank you for the information on the A40s. Its the Farina cars that I remember most, and Dennis was correct the cars were two door Dorset and four door Devon. The van and pick up derived from those. Looks as if they were solid cars with plenty of room in them.
The sports model wouldn’t be out of place today!

Regards Paul

Paul John:
Hi Pete, thank you for the information on the A40s. Its the Farina cars that I remember most, and Dennis was correct the cars were two door Dorset and four door Devon. The van and pick up derived from those. Looks as if they were solid cars with plenty of room in them.

Regards Paul

Hi all,
As an aside,I think the old,now very collectible Austin J40 tin pedal cars were manufactured just up the road from there?
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

Paul John:

Regards Paul

Hi all,
As an aside,I think the old,now very collectible Austin J40 tin pedal cars were manufactured just up the road from there?
Regards Andrew.

Morning Andrew,
A friend of mine is just half way through restoring one of those A40 pedal cars and I was talking to him at the weekend and he commented there was a purpose built factory at Bargoed and most of the staff were miners who had sustained injuries whilst down the pit, Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:

pete 359:

Paul John:

Regards Paul

Hi all,
Regards Andrew.

Morning Andrew,
A friend of mine is just half way through restoring one of those A40 pedal cars and I was talking to him at the weekend and he commented there was a purpose built factory at Bargoed and most of the staff were miners who had sustained injuries whilst down the pit, Cheer’s Pete

My dad had a A40 inbetween volvos ,he also had a A35 van for a short while for fetching bits in ,as kids we had one of those pedal cars in bronze but it had a Briggs engine in the boot sticking up ,it was immaculate when it came with a short windscreen and AA badges on the grill , it ended up in the goat shed with the chickens ■■■■■■■■ on it . :unamused:

Hi all,
My father and I fully restored one of those J40 tin car a good few years ago.
Here is an old image of Bridgend BRS.courtesy of Facebook.

pete 359:
Hi all,
My father and I fully restored one of those J40 tin car a good few years ago.
Here is an old image of Bridgend BRS.courtesy of Facebook.

Theses 111,s were 2 of many scattered amongst portsmouth ,southampton ,poole depots etc.
The S reg F86 in british tissues colours was ex Harris economy contract and was cut done from a rigid.
Remember Martin [wall]? the fitter having the job and each night i would watch the progress.
Victor the pole came off nights and was the driver on day shunt with it.
Dai

pete 359:

Hi Andrew.

The Aberthaw tanker takes me back, I remember in the late sixties the main street in Llantwitt Major with all the cement traffic going through ,no bypass ,hard to imagine driving through these days!

ANDREWDAX:

pete 359:

Hi Andrew.

The Aberthaw tanker takes me back, I remember in the late sixties the main street in Llantwitt Major with all the cement traffic going through ,no bypass ,hard to imagine driving through these days!

Hi,
I remember llantwitt before the bypass.amazing to think everything went through there.I found this image of J.R,s landmark yard via google,not my picture,so I apologise to whoever took it and didn’t put their name on it.Tbh I am guessing it’s taken before 1965? So I wasn’t even born! Am guessing that the fleet had recently moved there from the coychurch road yard? I don’t know what year J.R. Moved to Watertown roundabout,Would it be early 1960,s ■■?

Hello Andrew
When I joined JR in 1973 he was running 22 tractor units so this must have been taken a little later as I count 24.It was always an impressive display on the weekend, I remember the old man telling me that they invariably had enquiries for work on Monday morning from people who had passed there and seen the line-up. Mike

Bookworm:
Hello Andrew
When I joined JR in 1973 he was running 22 tractor units so this must have been taken a little later as I count 24.It was always an impressive display on the weekend, I remember the old man telling me that they invariably had enquiries for work on Monday morning from people who had passed there and seen the line-up. Mike

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply.Looking at that black and white photo,the Atki’s look more like the models from the 1970’s to me? Someone on here will know.Though I do still wonder what year they moved the fleet to Waterton?
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

Bookworm:
Hello Andrew

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply.Looking at that black and white photo,the Atki’s look more like the models from the 1970’s to me? Someone on here will know.Though I do still wonder what year they moved the fleet to Waterton?
Regards Andrew.

I’ve passed that fine line up a few times in years gone by ! JR must have been there from the mid 60’s I would say and I can recall when the first MK1’s appeared with 180LXB engines and JR was one of the first operators to have one. Those units on the left side of the shot look like Borderers or maybe the model which was between the Mk1 and Borderer, They were Silver Knights and were still on a 9’ 6" WB, the Borderer had the 10’ 8" WB. Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

pete 359:

Bookworm:
Hello Andrew

Hi Mike,
Regards Andrew.

I’ve passed that fine line up a few times in years gone by ! JR must have been there from the mid 60’s I would say and I can recall when the first MK1’s appeared with 180LXB engines and JR was one of the first operators to have one. Those units on the left side of the shot look like Borderers or maybe the model which was between the Mk1 and Borderer, They were Silver Knights and were still on a 9’ 6" WB, the Borderer had the 10’ 8" WB. Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for the information mate.I reckon you are right there about the Atki,s,I have an old copy of Commercial Motor featuring a J.R. Borderer on road test with Pat Kennet,fitted with a then unheard of,Fuller range change gearbox.Regarding the Waterton yard,I also think they would have moved there in the early 1960’s? My father was on the road then and like yourself he can recall seeing the line up regularly.Trucknet member Dai Cap would know for definite.
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

ANDREWDAX:

pete 359:

Hi Andrew.

Hi,
I remember llantwitt before the bypass.amazing to think everything went through there.I found this image of J.R,s landmark yard via google,not my picture,so I apologise to whoever took it and didn’t put their name on it.Tbh I am guessing it’s taken before 1965? So I wasn’t even born! Am guessing that the fleet had recently moved there from the coychurch road yard? I don’t know what year J.R. Moved to Watertown roundabout,Would it be early 1960,s ■■?

Hi Andrew.

The plot thickens as to the year of that photo ! well I am 66 and I seem to remember the roundabout there in the late sixties but I think the large amount of ground taken was a bit later