South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Hi Andrew
When I started with Glyn Morgan in 1965 I am sure that JR was operating out of the yard at the start of Coychurch when he bought ( Graham Howells)? As you know it was taken over later by Tony Morgan. I don`t know when he moved to Waterton, but when I joined in 1973 there was just the one combined yard in which were the workshops (run by Trevor Long) and all the trailers. The tractors were parked on a small area nearer the road. This area was extended at a later date much further along the roundabout frontage, with plenty of room for trailers.
At yet another later date the new workshops were built and another plot was developed into a car park which was basically how it stayed until they moved to the present location. I am sure most of this is correct but I may well be corrected by somebody with a better memory. Mike

Bookworm:
Hi Andrew
When I started with Glyn Morgan in 1965 I am sure that JR was operating out of the yard at the start of Coychurch when he bought ( Graham Howells)? As you know it was taken over later by Tony Morgan. I don`t know when he moved to Waterton, but when I joined in 1973 there was just the one combined yard in which were the workshops (run by Trevor Long) and all the trailers. The tractors were parked on a small area nearer the road. This area was extended at a later date much further along the roundabout frontage, with plenty of room for trailers.
At yet another later date the new workshops were built and another plot was developed into a car park which was basically how it stayed until they moved to the present location. I am sure most of this is correct but I may well be corrected by somebody with a better memory. Mike

HI Andrew after J R moved out I think was the mid 60s his brother went there Argosy .Tony Morgan went in about 1970 . Dai Cap.

dai cap:

Bookworm:
Hi Andrew

HI Andrew after J R moved out I think was the mid 60s his brother went there Argosy .Tony Morgan went in about 1970 . Dai Cap.

Hi all
I’ve learnt something new there Dai.I wasn’t aware that Argosy were in coychurch road after JR.i only recall Tony Morgan in there.
Regards Andrew.

hi all,
Short Bros.I think they were originally from Taffs Well?.A big company in their day,lots of steelworks had Shorts vehicles in them…

14479647_10209247047844591_1117454794345231276_n.jpg

Andrew, the top photo looks like the Newport yard. Taffs Wells was a lot bigger. I also remember a yard in Hirwaun close to Tower colliery.
They were distributors for Ford plant products and used many in their own fleet.

Paul

Paul John:
Andrew, the top photo looks like the Newport yard. Taffs Wells was a lot bigger. I also remember a yard in Hirwaun close to Tower colliery.
They were distributors for Ford plant products and used many in their own fleet.

Paul

Hi Paul,
The top photo is the Newport yard.Was the tale ever true about the both of the Short Bros.respective houses? at Taffs Wells…
Regards Andrew.

Hi all,
Here is my old mate Stan,in Strensham services earlier today,those girders are 27 metres long!

Hi all,
Awesome 750 Volvo from Smart’s of Builth Wells.

Hi all,
Google found this.Short Bros,powerhouse? Scammell…

Hi all,
L.C.Lewis,moved a lot of plant for Short Bros,many years ago.

pete 359:

Paul John:

Paul

Hi Paul,
The top photo is the Newport yard.Was the tale ever true about the both of the Short Bros.respective houses? at Taffs Wells…
Regards Andrew.

Hi Andrew. To be honest I dont know anything about the Short Bros family.
Back in the early 70s my father did quite a bit of business with them, mostly Hirwaun as it was the closest yard to Rhymney. When my father and his youngest brother set up their engineering company they rented the mobile Iron Fairy cranes to remove, load and install their machine and fabrication shop machinery. They would purchase equipment from factories looking to update their machinery or from auctions, mostly unfortunately when factories were closing down. If they were in the Midlands Shorts would recommend a supplier there. More often than not, other purchasers would come ill prepared and they would cross hire the cranes they hired.
We had a Leyland Boxer at that time with a Perkins 6354, usually kept busy between the engineering company, Whitbread Brewery and HY-MAC.

Funny you should put a photo up of L.C.Lewis, he was my last customer at Gullivers the day I finished to emigrate. That was back in September 1991 as you said a few years back. Was H reg August 1991? He had a 2035 Merc to pull some flatbed trailers. He new his stuff, it was always good to talk to him. A huge fan of the Transcontiental.

Regards Paul

pete 359:

dai cap:

Bookworm:
Hi Andrew

Hi all
I’ve learnt something new there Dai.I wasn’t aware that Argosy were in coychurch road after JR.i only recall Tony Morgan in there.
Regards Andrew.

Hi Andrew Argosy also ran out of what is now CRH plant in pyle then Broadway farm in Laleston which I think was then bought by Jonathon Raymond .Cheers Ian

Ianto full pelt:

pete 359:

dai cap:

Bookworm:
Hi Andrew

Hi all
Regards Andrew.

Hi Andrew Argosy also ran out of what is now CRH plant in pyle then Broadway farm in Laleston which I think was then bought by Jonathon Raymond .Cheers Ian

Hi Ian,
Are you sure? I thought what’s now CBL plant hire was Vale Transport and next door,which is now CAM Engineering was Argosy? Vale were on Stotmy Down before that.
Regards Andrew.

Ianto full pelt:

pete 359:

dai cap:

Bookworm:
Hi Andrew

Hi all
Regards Andrew.

Hi Ian,
Are you sure? I thought what’s now CBL plant hire was Vale Transport and next door,which is now CAM Engineering was Argosy? Vale were on Stotmy Down before that.
Regards Andrew.

Paul John:

pete 359:

Paul John:

Paul

Hi Paul,
Regards Andrew.

Hi Andrew. To be honest I dont know anything about the Short Bros family.
Back in the early 70s my father did quite a bit of business with them, mostly Hirwaun as it was the closest yard to Rhymney. When my father and his youngest brother set up their engineering company they rented the mobile Iron Fairy cranes to remove, load and install their machine and fabrication shop machinery. They would purchase equipment from factories looking to update their machinery or from auctions, mostly unfortunately when factories were closing down. If they were in the Midlands Shorts would recommend a supplier there. More often than not, other purchasers would come ill prepared and they would cross hire the cranes they hired.
We had a Leyland Boxer at that time with a Perkins 6354, usually kept busy between the engineering company, Whitbread Brewery and HY-MAC.

Funny you should put a photo up of L.C.Lewis, he was my last customer at Gullivers the day I finished to emigrate. That was back in September 1991 as you said a few years back. Was H reg August 1991? He had a 2035 Merc to pull some flatbed trailers. He new his stuff, it was always good to talk to him. A huge fan of the Transcontiental.

Regards Paul

Hi Paul , Both brothers Gabe and Vernon now passed on company is still going as Shorts property developments still own vast areas in S Wales now run by Nigel and Stephen cousins .

T.D.Williams Marathon.

A03592p.JPG

Hi all,
I am unsure if this SCANIA was ever a Bridgend depot lorry? Might be a British Tissues load under there?..

dai brs.jpg

pete 359:
Hi all,
I am unsure if this SCANIA was ever a Bridgend depot lorry? Might be a British Tissues load under there?..

Pretty sure this is a Newport depot motor,Bridgend had B197,198 .RFX.
Dai

scania81:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Pretty sure this is a Newport depot motor,Bridgend had B197,198 .RFX.
Dai

Hello Dai,
Thanks very much for that,I’d guessed you’d know.Here is another BRS conundrum,a welsh registered Seddon.