South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

pete 359:
Hi all,
Courtesy of Colin knapp a Trevor G.phillips foden loaded with eye to the sky coil years ago! A firm you will remember well Dennis.Come on Wales!

Great shot there mate ! but a while after my time down S.Wales judging by the reg no. ! On the odd occasions our regular reload was not available at Bowens we always managed to get one off Trevor G. ! I know it sounds like we only used them as second choice but they didn’t seem to mind as we were a first and foremost a Bowen sub contractor and invariably Bowens always , well almost always, had a load of tin plate ready for us to reload on Mondays back to the N. West. My mate on the Octopus used to ingrain into me that loyalty meant a great deal to these long established S. Wales hauliers. The nearest thing I ever heard Phillips traffic manager say, for a bit of banter, was “Well I take it Jack is unable to load you then” :laughing: :laughing: "Well now lets see what I might have for you Brady boys! how about 20ton out of Velindre for MB West Houghton " or words to that effect !! Great times and great people to have known and dealt with !! Cheers Dennis.

Cardiff Transport - ERF E12 - (J270TBO):

South West Wales River Board - Atkinson - (MTH666):

This post comes to you from the big café in the sky as I have gone into the wood and topped myself after to-days Rugby results :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I can’t believe my two favourite RU teams have let me down, OK the Boyos had tough luck in Paris, but they should still have won. But ENGER-----LAND definitely let us down, I bet Eddie Jones gave them a right good bollocking !! Even though they won the series it was a bit of a damp squib as all the Paddies has left the Stadium and were in the boozers celebrating their victory but best of luck to them as they were the only team to beat ENGER—LAND ! So who’s turn is it for the teas then !! :frowning: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Roll on next year ! Cheers Dennis.

Dennis / Mr Bewick

I share your feelings…wot a Day at the office :cry: :cry: :cry:

Lovely pic of the Atki above which was from around this way :smiley:

Take Care & pour another Malt , i am!!

E.W.

Bewick:
This post comes to you from the big café in the sky as I have gone into the wood and topped myself after to-days Rugby results :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I can’t believe my two favourite RU teams have let me down, OK the Boyos had tough luck in Paris, but they should still have won. But ENGER-----LAND definitely let us down, I bet Eddie Jones gave them a right good bollocking !! Even though they won the series it was a bit of a damp squib as all the Paddies has left the Stadium and were in the boozers celebrating their victory but best of luck to them as they were the only team to beat ENGER—LAND ! So who’s turn is it for the teas then !! :frowning: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Roll on next year ! Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis,
It’s only a game mate.ireland were the team today.

pete 359:

Bewick:

Hi Dennis,
It’s only a game mate.ireland were the team today.

Normally Andrew I wouldn’t go two yards to watch a Rugby Union club match, I much prefer watching a Rugby League match but when it gets to the RU International matches well I make an exception and, of course, get swept along in the furore and particularly the “nation” part of the game ! :wink: Cheers Mate, Dennis.

hi all,
four oldies here courtesy of steve wookey,from his days driving at llanelli based W. North transport.

pete 359:
hi all,
four oldies here courtesy of steve wookey,from his days driving at llanelli based W. North transport.

Those Renaults were supplied by City Commercial Vehicles Llansamlet Swansea,there was a advert in the western mail 1985.
The advert shows a Wynford North picture above a Owens road services Renault B341 VPP.
Owens Transport manager at the time Bernard Gimblett photo is above the Rockwool liveried North motor.
They done some mileage and some young drivers would remember cutting their teeth in them.
North,s would give people without experience a chance.

IMG_1411.JPG

pete 359:
hi all,

Hi Pete359, the Merc reminds me of those motors at Lye Spencer’s, Southall…singing some of the old songs :wink:

pete 359:

My Dad bought this 141 new - GNY 229 W - would virtually have been a sister to the Alan R Jones 141 - GNY 233 W pictured.
Supplied by Bob Penrose at Telford Motors, Cardiff, in March (I think) 1981.

Sorry about the size.

pete 359:
hi all,

Steve and his father worked for north ,his father was a fitter with wynford for years, wynfords son Paul is traffic manager with runtech ,Steve drives for cwm recycling in Carmarthen

steelboyf10:

pete 359:
hi all,

Hi Pete359, the Merc reminds me of those motors at Lye Spencer’s, Southall…singing some of the old songs :wink:

Hi sbf10,
Talking of singing a few of the old songs,a few from Carl jones on Facebook of Jon Raymond in the 80’s…

pete 359:

steelboyf10:

pete 359:
hi all,

Hi sbf10,
Talking of singing a few of the old songs,a few from Carl jones on Facebook of Jon Raymond in the 80’s…

Not sure this would pass the Bewick standards :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :blush: , wot no under sheet

• Hi sbf10,
    Do you Remember these foden’s working internally around shotton? They moved some serious weight,though very slowly.a bit like the rest of the British steel vehicles really :smiley:

pete 359:

1. Hi sbf10,
    Do you Remember these foden’s working internally around shotton? They moved some serious weight,though very slowly.a bit like the rest of the British steel vehicles really :smiley:
    [/quote]
    Indeed I do, the spring saddles almost dragging on the floor they were so overloaded, or had no air in the tyres… never wanted to get behind a Shotton motor on the 41 or down through mid wales…not that they did South Wales, well in one hit, always parked up at the pub, (the falcon?) at Prees Heath on a dodgy night out :open_mouth: :smiley: :open_mouth:
    Do you remember the Guy Big Js?

steelboyf10:

pete 359:

1. Hi sbf10,
    [/quote]
    Indeed I do, the spring saddles almost dragging on the floor they were so overloaded, or had no air in the tyres… never wanted to get behind a Shotton motor on the 41 or down through mid wales…not that they did South Wales, well in one hit, always parked up at the pub, (the falcon?) at Prees Heath on a dodgy night out :open_mouth: :smiley: :open_mouth:
    Do you remember the Guy Big Js?
    [/quote]
    Hi m8,
    Yes I remember them and many more.thanks for ringing earlier…

Hi all,
Courtesy of steelboyf10 and a recent commercial motor magazine.