South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Punchy Dan:
That borderer looks like it had the econofreight logo on the near side front ■■? Also looks like a TT on the number end as in bassetts .

Morning Dan,
My thoughts exactly on the Econofrieight logo but isn’t that reg a bit early for Econofrieght in the Staffs area?

pete smith:

Punchy Dan:
That borderer looks like it had the econofreight logo on the near side front ■■? Also looks like a TT on the number end as in bassetts .

Morning Dan,
My thoughts exactly on the Econofrieight logo but isn’t that reg a bit early for Econofrieght in the Staffs area?

Bassetts had a lot of motors registered with 672 - I understand it was their phone number at one time. Pretty sure that’s one of theirs.

Actually, looking again at the photo, I can clearly see the Bassett signwriting on the bumper, and the BG logo (Bassett Group) on the front wing. Here’s a close relative:

img990 by Alan, on Flickr

pete smith:

Punchy Dan:

Morning Dan,

I ment bumper not number !

pete smith:
Morning Andrew,
A few from down your way, the knackered Atki’s reg no is ARE 672M, Cheer’s Pete

Hi Pete,
Back in 1998 a few of us went to the Trevor G. Davies auction in llanwrda,that battered borderer was sold there for preservation…
Regards andrew.

pete 359:

pete smith:
Morning Andrew,
A few from down your way, the knackered Atki’s reg no is ARE 672M, Cheer’s Pete

Hi Pete,
Back in 1998 a few of us went to the Trevor G. Davies auction in llanwrda,that battered borderer was sold there for preservation…
Regards andrew.

Morning Andrew,
Here is a photograph of said Atki in happier days I have found, Dan and 240 Gardner spot on,not my picture but will remove if requested,

Here we go here we go here we go Wey oh! wey !!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: 22:9 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Well done the Boyo’s I only need England to deliver a result at Twickers to-day and I’ll have a great weekend ! Well done Wales. Cheers Dennis.
However, modesty prevents me from commenting on the result from Twickenham this afternoon :blush: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: Cheers Dennis.

61:21 :wink:

South Wales hauliers anyone remember or got photo’s of Nationwide ? I remember they had red Maggie’s I think they were from Cardiff or Newport ■■

I remember nationwide I think they had mans as well not sure tho day prince drove for them regards not rward

Berwick fair play they deserved it bloody good luck to them regards rowley

southlondoner:
South Wales hauliers anyone remember or got photo’s of Nationwide ? I remember they had red Maggie’s I think they were from Cardiff or Newport ■■

I remember nationwide they had day cab mans in red and four sleeper cabs in silver which i think did the middle east , they also had a demo unit that we ran for about a month

Nationwide was owned by C H Bailey Dry Docks Ltd of Cardiff, he bought out G N Rickets of Ewenny to start the operation. They did run to M/E, I have seen on UK Drivers forum a picture of a Nationwide silver Man, a total write off in the M/E.

Noel Rickets was the Operations Manager and Glynn David of Llantwit Major (ex rickets) foreman fitter.

E142

Found a history of C H Bailey.

History
C.H. Bailey Company History timeline Founded in the 1880s, the company was incorporated in May 1923 as C.H. Bailey, Graham and Co. Just prior to the start of World War II, it became C.H. Bailey Ltd. Almost 50 years later, the company listed on the London Stock Exchange.
The founder and first chairman was Charles H. Bailey, who died in 1907 and was succeeded by his son, Group Captain George B. Bailey, who was responsible for starting dry dock operations in Malta in the 1950s. He was succeeded by his son, Christopher, who was the father of the present chairman.

Until the early 1960s, the company was engaged primarily in owning and operating dry docks, ship repairing and heavy engineering. While the company’s first dry dock operations were in Newport, it also operated in Barry, Cardiff, Swansea, Port Talbot, on the Mersey, and in Bristol and Malta.

Our head office remains in Newport, South Wales.
During the 1960s and 1970s, the group diversified into transport, leisure, and electrical contracting. In the last decade, the company has focussed on developing and operating high end hospitality, commercial and retail properties in East Africa.

E142:
Found a history of C H Bailey.

History
C.H. Bailey Company History timeline Founded in the 1880s, the company was incorporated in May 1923 as C.H. Bailey, Graham and Co. Just prior to the start of World War II, it became C.H. Bailey Ltd. Almost 50 years later, the company listed on the London Stock Exchange.
The founder and first chairman was Charles H. Bailey, who died in 1907 and was succeeded by his son, Group Captain George B. Bailey, who was responsible for starting dry dock operations in Malta in the 1950s. He was succeeded by his son, Christopher, who was the father of the present chairman.

Until the early 1960s, the company was engaged primarily in owning and operating dry docks, ship repairing and heavy engineering. While the company’s first dry dock operations were in Newport, it also operated in Barry, Cardiff, Swansea, Port Talbot, on the Mersey, and in Bristol and Malta.

Our head office remains in Newport, South Wales.
During the 1960s and 1970s, the group diversified into transport, leisure, and electrical contracting. In the last decade, the company has focussed on developing and operating high end hospitality, commercial and retail properties in East Africa.

I have a old truck magazine with a photo of a Man of Nationwide with a load of timber on.
Mr Lewis of Cardiff transport is in it.
My late dad Ray Thomas worked for Ricketts and Terry Hughes.

Would rickets be the same family with the agriculture merchants in Wick?

David Rickets of St Brides Major was Noel`s Rickets brother. David Rickets was a farm tractor sales and service supplier.
I knew Ray Thomas and Terry Hughes very well and will send a PM to Scania81.

Hi all,
These photos are courtesy of Bruce walker,my old mate Stan coming through Aberdeen earlier today.

Well I think I’ll still go for the double on Saturday, England to beat Ireland and Wales to beat Le Frog ! result !! All the best you Boyo’s Cheers Dennis.

Hi all,
Courtesy of Colin knapp a Trevor G.phillips foden loaded with eye to the sky coil years ago! A firm you will remember well Dennis.Come on Wales!