South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Good morning all, The Paul "The druken duck " you all refer to is Paul Halfpenny son of Sid Halfpenny who used to work with Wg Davies in their heyday. I bumped into the pair of them a few weeks ago , and as fate would have it I was talking to Roger Davies the owner of WG Davies last Saturday.While I’m on the site I’d like to wish my old mate Rowly Ward a speedy recovery from his recent op , a few months ago he took a day off from his empire and showed myself and Daibootsy around his fleet followed by lunch where we looked back over our time together on the road about old mates and about how things had changed, cheers Rowly,
Curly

A Volvo f7 8 wheeler bulk tipper went round the coldra this morning loaded ,I didn’t catch the name but it was maroon bottom and cream on top ,could it be Lewis Weaver from Ludlow ?

I’ve seen that truck around a few times Dan, but never noticed where it came from. I lived not to far from Ludlow for a couple of years, so you maybe right about it being Weaver’s. I’m sure Dave the Renegade will know, It’s in his neck of the woods.

Dan Punchard:
A Volvo f7 8 wheeler bulk tipper went round the coldra this morning loaded ,I didn’t catch the name but it was maroon bottom and cream on top ,could it be Lewis Weaver from Ludlow ?

This is some of Lewis Weaver’s families vehicles, that were at Hereford Truckshow. Don’t know if that’s the one you saw Dan ?
Cheers Dave.

That was the one Dave ,I know he had a fire on the fl10 so may be its a stand in ?

Dan Punchard:
That was the one Dave ,I know he had a fire on the fl10 so may be its a stand in ?

Could be Dan, its a fresh one that I hadn’t seen before,even though its a Shropshire reg.
Cheers Dave.

Is this the one which Lewis had burnt out Dan ? Pic courtesy of Fryske.
Cheers Dave.

It was just a small fire that he managed to put out ,although I think a few repairs were needed .

Hi all I was up by signode forestfach today what a waste I remember tipping there daily it was always busy shoes how the industry has died

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

pete 359:

There’s a blast from the past they used to be down lysaghts wharf if I not mistaken :smiley:

D Jeff Lewis:
Good morning all, The Paul "The druken duck " you all refer to is Paul Halfpenny son of Sid Halfpenny who used to work with Wg Davies in their heyday. I bumped into the pair of them a few weeks ago , and as fate would have it I was talking to Roger Davies the owner of WG Davies last Saturday.While I’m on the site I’d like to wish my old mate Rowly Ward a speedy recovery from his recent op , a few months ago he took a day off from his empire and showed myself and Daibootsy around his fleet followed by lunch where we looked back over our time together on the road about old mates and about how things had changed, cheers Rowly,
Curly

Hi mate yes the two Sid halfpenny and Sid Mcvey both drove for jones removal are they still around I hadn’t seen them since the 80,s

smallcoal:

pete 359:

There’s a blast from the past they used to be down lysaghts wharf if I not mistaken :smiley:

Hi all, weren’t they close to where Bell containers were, or Sheddicks yard?
That 310 air cooled Deutz was a little thirsty on the jungle juice iirc. I used to pass them in an ■■■■■■ van or ■■■■■■ going up the M50 regularly late 70s.
I was usually running Hy-Mac parts for export up to Heanor Haulage in Derby, and picking up parts from the engineering companies around the Midlands that supplied parts to Triang Toys, Henley fork lifts or Crompton Electric Cars (milk floats) all long gone now.

Good days though, plenty of work around at that time.

Regards Paul.

paul jo hn alpha steel good blokes I new two of them cant for the life of me remember their names as for triang I worked there llandow warehouse loading lorries ended up locked up teach me wont it ah ah regards rowly

rward:
paul jo hn alpha steel good blokes I new two of them cant for the life of me remember their names as for triang I worked there llandow warehouse loading lorries ended up locked up teach me wont it ah ah regards rowly

Was that triangs factory on what is now Llandow ind est?

pete smith that’s the one massive airoplane hanger full of toys regards rowly

rward:
pete smith that’s the one massive airoplane hanger full of toys regards rowly

Ta for reply Rowly

smallcoal:

Dan Punchard:

smallcoal:

FLOURPOWER:
CARDIFF TRANSPORT ERF

I drove this truck with Cardiff transport (ponderosa squadron ) good old days :smiley:

This also appeared in the Revs magazine earlier this year .

This was used in truck and driver when it was new the coiler on the back was brand new as we’ll we had no trouble with the tyres no punctures or blow outs even with 60 tonnes on the trailer dodgy days :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Never went cold :laughing:

smallcoal:
A nice motor

Would look good black and red :wink: