Sorry but i had to laugh

plymouthherald.co.uk/news/pl … ry-1020268

Love the writing on the trailer

Well the letters would’ve arrived safely but a tad late, come on we’ve all done a U turn in our time but driving over a grass verge is asking for trouble as you don’t know how soft it’s going to be !!

Looking at it, surely if he/she had started a bit further left, it would if gone round without going on the grass.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

El Deano:
Looking at it, surely if he/she had started a bit further left, it would if gone round without going on the grass.

Exactly what I was about to say.
If youre doing a tight u turn with an artic, you need to be as far over as you can get. A couple of feet can make all the difference

looks like three lane to turn around in looks like enough room to me also looks dark (ish) so less traffic about so better chance of pulling it off in one using extra swing by being over to the left . driver has not thought ahead and assesed the situation S.L.A.M. stop look assess manage
or does wisdom come with experience…?

I’ve yet to get stuck in the grass so I’ve not been afraid to go on the grass before to do a u-turn. Could be that that the driver didn’t see it as a potential problem. Think its one of those things that you have to experience yourself.

Quote from a comment on the article.

Double deck trailer that will not fit under the low bridges on Embankment Road. The route in and out also the large train bridge in the City Centre have no advance warning until you are on top of them. Drivers of very high trucks are then stuffed and have to stop and should call the police to safety back them up and turn around.
The driver was foolish in trying a u turn on his own…probably one of the many EU drivers we now have who are good hard workers but not the same skill levels to pass a UK test.

Be interesting to see if anyone can confirm that there is no advanced warning for high vehicles.

Possibly the…

Same jackass that ■■■■■■ it up in Southport* high street last week.

• southport or stockport cant remember

I live in Plymouth. Judging from the photo I would say the driver has taken the wrong exit on the cattedown roundabout. I would guess that the driver was heading to the Plymstock sorting office and knew that they were now heading for the low bridge on the embankment road. There is I believe only one route to and from Plymstock for 16ft decker. To my knowledge there are no advanced warning signs up before you would ‘hit’ either of the low bridges at the train station or embankment road.

Personally he should have parked it up in the chevrons and assessed better. Then again if they carried on then we would have yet another hgv hitting a bridge article.

Adey.C:
I live in Plymouth. Judging from the photo I would say the driver has taken the wrong exit on the cattedown roundabout. I would guess that the driver was heading to the Plymstock sorting office and knew that they were now heading for the low bridge on the embankment road. There is I believe only one route to and from Plymstock for 16ft decker. To my knowledge there are no warning signs before you would ‘hit’ either of the low bridges at the train station or embankment road

I like the way you used the word “HIT” [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adam277:
I’ve yet to get stuck in the grass so I’ve not been afraid to go on the grass before to do a u-turn. Could be that that the driver didn’t see it as a potential problem. Think its one of those things that you have to experience yourself.

Quote from a comment on the article.

Double deck trailer that will not fit under the low bridges on Embankment Road. The route in and out also the large train bridge in the City Centre have no advance warning until you are on top of them. Drivers of very high trucks are then stuffed and have to stop and should call the police to safety back them up and turn around.
The driver was foolish in trying a u turn on his own…probably one of the many EU drivers we now have who are good hard workers but not the same skill levels to pass a UK test.

Be interesting to see if anyone can confirm that there is no advanced warning for high vehicles.

i work in plymouth most days, and no, ive never seen a advanced notice for that bridge,

Would have been better trying to spin it going towards the fence on the left,at least its solid ground,at least only drop a trailer wheel near the grass.
Plenty of room to spin it tho tbh.

Yes there is no warning signs for the 16ft bridge until you get to it from each direction. Many Royal mail deckers have been caught out and not only limpers! No excuse really RM give you a very clear route map to follow. A38 to b3250 to b3238 a379 across the bridge towards their depot. There is another way also for deckers but is through the houses abit via Haye rd.

drover:
Yes there is no warning signs for the 16ft bridge until you get to it from each direction. Many Royal mail deckers have been caught out and not only limpers! No excuse really RM give you a very clear route map to follow. A38 to b3250 to b3238 a379 across the bridge towards their depot. There is another way also for deckers but is through the houses abit via Haye rd.

Drover, is that a 110? I don’t know how you can tell from the side but might explain why they had problems turning? I got warned a few times about 110s and turning them

[/quote]
Drover, is that a 110? I don’t know how you can tell from the side but might explain why they had problems turning? I got warned a few times about 110s and turning them
[/quote]
No its not a 110 just a newish 95dd one that can be used for both parcel force (hand ball) and rm yorks ( cages) the 110s have the rear-steering axle at the end and there is an obvious gap between it and the other axles

Thank you

I’m still had the stage where I have to go and read the blinking label on the ‘normal’ deckers

good_friend:
Thank you

I’m still had the stage where I have to go and read the blinking label on the ‘normal’ deckers

:smiley: i know what you mean, took me a while also. It doesn’t help that RM have their own language that they assume all new staff know instantly it used to wind me up with some of the old boys in the transport offices.
I guess its the same with most places in transport everyone is thought to be a mind reader!

Adey.C:
I live in Plymouth. Judging from the photo I would say the driver has taken the wrong exit on the cattedown roundabout. I would guess that the driver was heading to the Plymstock sorting office and knew that they were now heading for the low bridge on the embankment road. There is I believe only one route to and from Plymstock for 16ft decker. To my knowledge there are no advanced warning signs up before you would ‘hit’ either of the low bridges at the train station or embankment road.

Personally he should have parked it up in the chevrons and assessed better. Then again if they carried on then we would have yet another hgv hitting a bridge article.

There are two ways into Plymstock, one of them is along Cot Hill but this has had a emergency 7.5 tonne weight limit put on it over the railway bridge.

mc:

Adey.C:

There are two ways into Plymstock, one of them is along Cot Hill but this has had a emergency 7.5 tonne weight limit put on it over the railway bridge.

You can drive up Cot Hill as it uses a seperate bridge, it’s driving down that’s the weaker bridge.

And they have reversed the one way at the end of valley road so exit via linkety lane. So no issues for hgvs.