Sodding Job Hunting

Winseer:
Who, among “New Employers” gives a toss about things like “References” these days? :bulb:

+1…

My present employer asked for two references from previous employers. I duly gave them the contact details and neither previous employer replied to any request via email or telephone. I’d had no problems with them or disputes.

No one is legally obliged to provide references.

My present employer said that without a reference they couldn’t use me… that was over two years ago.

yourhavingalarf:

Winseer:
Who, among “New Employers” gives a toss about things like “References” these days? :bulb:

+1…

My present employer asked for two references from previous employers. I duly gave them the contact details and neither previous employer replied to any request via email or telephone. I’d had no problems with them or disputes.

My present employer said that without a reference they couldn’t use me… that was over two years ago.

I don’t…but I let the MoD vet my drivers and they do pursue references, if your ex boss doesn’t send one, then there will be no job.

I actually don’t understand why any boss would want to employ someone that left their last employer in the lurch, conversely I don’t understand why any employee would want to work for someone that can’t manage their workload to withstand a notice period.

good_friend:
‘…stay away from Fresh Direct in Bicester…’

Cheers for that. It often gets breezily mentioned whenever I snoop around

I wouldn’t ask my current boss for a reference, but my previous boss before him. I still see him around and he’s reminded me to name him as a referee.
Re people who walk out, sometimes you just have to when things are bad. Never done it myself but it’s common in construction/plant/skips.

albion:

yourhavingalarf:

Winseer:

+1…

I don’t…but I let the MoD vet my drivers and they do pursue references, if your ex boss doesn’t send one, then there will be no job.

I actually don’t understand why any boss would want to employ someone that left their last employer in the lurch, conversely I don’t understand why any employee would want to work for someone that can’t manage their workload to withstand a notice period.

As an employer, - would you wait for a driver who said they had to work a notice period, where another one apparently equally qualified was available for the proverbial “start next monday” aspect? There would surely be a temptation there to take both drivers at “face value”, and come down against the one who was “so poor at managing their workload” that they couldn’t swing a short-notice start, without leaving their previous in the lurch? :stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps there is even a culture among some employers - to use the “Notice period” as “handcuffs” to prevent that employee moving on as soon as a better job/better paid job comes along… The insecurity that doesn’t seem to apply to supermarket work for some reason. The more casual the in/out aspect of the work, the higher and cushier it is generally going to be, it seems.

Nathan, you should of stayed at Smiths :open_mouth: ,job for life .

Driver shortage !?

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Winseer:

albion:

yourhavingalarf:

Winseer:

+1…

As an employer, - would you wait for a driver who said they had to work a notice period, where another one apparently equally qualified was available for the proverbial “start next monday” aspect? There would surely be a temptation there to take both drivers at “face value”, and come down against the one who was “so poor at managing their workload” that they couldn’t swing a short-notice start, without leaving their previous in the lurch? :stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps there is even a culture among some employers - to use the “Notice period” as “handcuffs” to prevent that employee moving on as soon as a better job/better paid job comes along… The insecurity that doesn’t seem to apply to supermarket work for some reason. The more casual the in/out aspect of the work, the higher and cushier it is generally going to be, it seems.

Yes, but that is partly because we employ people then train them up/get the various licenses that they need, so tbh they are only partially useful to us in the first three months anyway.

We have a one week notice period, though other than illness and planned retirement, I’ve only had two drivers leave since 2010, one of whom gave a months notice anyway.

JAKEY:
Nathan, you should of stayed at Smiths :open_mouth: ,job for life .

Not now it isn’t mate, it’s very different to even when I started there. Too many courses and orange outfits.

Crisis no more. After another day of labouring in the yard and few more snide remarks I upped and walked out. This was about 11.30 this morning. I came home rang somewhere and was invited to an interview at my convenience. By 2pm I’d got another job that’s within 15 mins cycling distance from home.
I never believed it but you can walk out on one job straight into another.

Muckaway:
Crisis no more. After another day of labouring in the yard and few more snide remarks I upped and walked out. This was about 11.30 this morning. I came home rang somewhere and was invited to an interview at my convenience. By 2pm I’d got another job that’s within 15 mins cycling distance from home.

good luck fella - always good to hear a happy ending!

Muckaway:

Good on ya !

Hope it all works out well

Good news! Hope you’ll be happier in this new one.

Is it our friend near Dix pit?

Tipping?

You know how fond we are of cyclists on here. Wear your hi vis its safer,a lot of blind truckers going about these days.

No, nothing to do with tipping, hope to’ve left that behind for good.
And no it’s not skips/roros; That was the worst job I’ve ever done.

Happy Keith:

good_friend:

A manager where I work told me that Bidvest now own Fresh Direct, which explains a lot…
…In response, Brakes now own KFF so I’m reliably informed.

Muckaway:

Happy Keith:

good_friend:

A manager where I work told me that Bidvest now own Fresh Direct, which explains a lot…
…In response, Brakes now own KFF so I’m reliably informed.

TBH I got sick of the ‘same ole same ole’ so now work South Wilts and have a bit of a drive but it’s been worth it so far

Don’t keep us all in suspense, what industry is the new job in food, farm, construction…■■